The Weinstein Effect in Quebec

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2017, 01:19 PM
The Weinstein Effect in Quebec
Holy shit is this story having weird and a massive effect in Quebec. In the last week or so, two well known animator loss their jobs and are under investigation following severe accusation of sexual misconduct, a mogul of the famous Just for Laugh festival suffered the same fate, a right-wing radio animator decided to resign in the mist of rape accusation, a wave of accusation is sweeping the province, a special ''emergency'' fund of a million dollar was put on the table to handle those reports. Its a bad day for sexual harrasser, but something tells me that it will take a regular shock therapy like this one to change in a noticeable manner the social climate. Still, I am rather happy to see those denounciation finally happening. Amongst them, two of my friends finally decided to take the plunge and formaly denounce their aggressor. Is your area affected by a similar wave of denounciation?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
19-10-2017, 01:25 PM
RE: The Weinstein Effect in Quebec
Remember the Jimmy Savile scandal or Bill Cosby. When something like that blows, a whole lot of people get caught in the middle. Because the public suddenly takes note and the victims muster the courage to come forward.

I bet you, there's still a lot under the carpet. A lot that will never surface. But the general climate has been changing for quite some time now. There always will be abuse, but the dinosaurs of the casting couch are dying out or keep a low profile because it's no longer accepted.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
20-10-2017, 04:18 AM
(19-10-2017 01:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  ...a right-wing radio animator...

WTF is a radio animator? Blink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2017, 05:06 AM
(20-10-2017 04:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 01:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  ...a right-wing radio animator...

WTF is a radio animator? Blink

zorry. mistranslation. A radio host.

20-10-2017, 09:10 PM
You can now add Tariq Ramadan, a famous Swiss philosopher and theologian known to be a vocal Muslim reformist, to that list. While a strong advocate for peace and religious tolerance, the man was accused several time of defending strongly authoritarian regimes and ideologies, but also of being extremely duplicious depending on whom he is addressing. His own reputation is also tarnished by his father and grand-father who had strong ties with the Muslim Brotherhood (his grand-father even being a founder of the organisation). I was personaly very much on the fence about that man. While no one can argue that he hasn't denounced terrorism and violence within Islam as well as its use of the death penalty and corporal punishment, I really don't like his advocacy for Islam as a political doctrine instead of a simple religious faith.

He has been accused of a violent rape by Henda Ayari, the leader of a feminist and secular organisation, who was a former salafist scholar. Both her and Ramadan knew each other for having participated together on a few conferences on reforming Islam and human rights in the Middle East. Ayari did mention she had been victim of such an aggression in a book on violence against women within the Muslim community published in 2016, but had given a fake name to her aggressor since she feared retaliation from his part. In the wake of the Weinstein affair, she decided to take the plunge and brought her accusation to the French police and revealed that the her aggressor was Tariq Ramadan. It wasn't the first time Ramadan was involved in accusations of sexual misconduct toward women (mostly inappropriate comments, nothing criminal), but never anything of that magnitude.