The Western Black Rhino is now officially extinct

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 09:31 PM
The Western Black Rhino is now officially extinct
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/world/afri...index.html

The worst part is they could have been saved if the proposed conservation efforts had been put in place.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: The Western Black Rhino is now officially extinct
Do we have any of their DNA? I'd imagine another rhino species could incubate one, if so.

But nah. We're homo sapiens. Megafauna extinction is what we do.
20-06-2013, 09:57 PM
(20-06-2013 09:55 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Do we have any of their DNA? I'd imagine another rhino species could incubate one, if so.

But nah. We're homo sapiens. Megafauna extinction is what we do.

Considering all the other Rhino subspecies are at or near extremely endangered status I don't think we could justify a cross subspecies breeding program.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-06-2013, 10:08 PM
(20-06-2013 09:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Considering all the other Rhino subspecies are at or near extremely endangered status I don't think we could justify a cross subspecies breeding program.

If we had a viable DNA sample, they're closely related enough that straight up implantation would work without a hitch.

I don't think any rhino sub/species have a high enough population to be long-term viable without human intervention, at this point. Ah, well.
21-06-2013, 05:20 AM
If we can, get DNA samples from as many remains as possible. It may then be possible to clone them and create a viable population.

Also on the term extinct. Does this just apply to wild Black Rhinos or all Black Rhinos ie are there Black Rhinos living in captivity in zoos, etc?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-06-2013, 05:28 AM
(21-06-2013 05:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If we can, get DNA samples from as many remains as possible. It may then be possible to clone them and create a viable population.

Also on the term extinct. Does this just apply to wild Black Rhinos or all Black Rhinos ie are there Black Rhinos living in captivity in zoos, etc?

I believe they mean in the wild, as the last one seen was in 2006. IIRC Rhinos don't breed well in captivity.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/2011...esearcher/

That article is a couple of years old but it does point out the problem and the true shame of this. Had we invested in protecting the wild population we could have avoided this altogether.

21-06-2013, 05:39 AM
(21-06-2013 05:28 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 05:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If we can, get DNA samples from as many remains as possible. It may then be possible to clone them and create a viable population.

I believe they mean in the wild, as the last one seen was in 2006. IIRC Rhinos don't breed well in captivity.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/2011...esearcher/

That article is a couple of years old but it does point out the problem and the true shame of this. Had we invested in protecting the wild population we could have avoided this altogether.

Well if we have live ones in captivity, get blood samples PRONTO! And keep their DNA on file as a gene pool to create a new population from.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade