The Whispering Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
30-05-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: The Whispering Thread
(30-05-2016 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Right now I can't think of any reason to keep trying. I haven't had a life in so long and don't see any chance of having one that I just don't see a point in anything. I'm tired.

I can sends you chocolates with impunity, yes? Yes Of course, they may have crystallized by the time they get there, the way the mail seems to work. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Hello, blind guilt, my old friend,
You've come to talk with me again...

Honestly, I almost wish I was Catholic and living in one of your more backward necks of the wood. A good round of self-flagellation every other week might've given my poor brain a respite from having to do it all by itself, all the time Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2017, 02:16 PM
(29-01-2017 03:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  Hello, blind guilt, my old friend,
You've come to talk with me again...
Reminds me of a great scene from the WestWorld HBO series. Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkin's character) is speaking to one of the robots he's created, asking him about his motivations, etc. And Ford says words to this effect to the robot:

"Ah, that's right, we never bothered to give you a proper backstory -- just a formless guilt that you can never escape from. We thought that was sufficient motivation for your character."

What a great commentary on what so many real humans struggle with every day. Sometimes, as with the fabled "Catholic guilt", it's even deliberately installed.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
29-01-2017, 02:20 PM

We're having a birthday party for my little brother's goldfish today. It's 6 years old.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-01-2017, 03:07 PM
(29-01-2017 02:16 PM)mordant Wrote:  Reminds me of a great scene from the WestWorld HBO series. Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkin's character) is speaking to one of the robots he's created, asking him about his motivations, etc. And Ford says words to this effect to the robot:

"Ah, that's right, we never bothered to give you a proper backstory -- just a formless guilt that you can never escape from. We thought that was sufficient motivation for your character."

What a great commentary on what so many real humans struggle with every day. Sometimes, as with the fabled "Catholic guilt", it's even deliberately installed.

Yeah, it’s an ugly thing. Thank god (or my geographical location during formative years ;-)) I wasn’t Catholic before I stopped seeing the light. I might’ve overdosed on guilt. After all, Xtianity *is* the greatest guilt-trip ever laid Dodgy

Your post reminded me of a story by the immensely talented Greg Egan* I read just the other day, Learning To Be Me, about a device implanted into every child’s head when they’re born, which over the course of the first 2 or 3 decades “learns” to be that person in order to replace their organic brain, so that “they” can live forever. Okay, I’m telling it really badly, but it’s a very interesting take on the question of what and who exactly “I” am.

My favourite story so far is about another kind of implant technology: “a cross between video games and hallucinogenic drugs”

“The next rack contained a selection of religions, everything from Amish to Zen. (Gaining the Amish disapproval of technology this way apparently posed no problem; virtually every religious implant enabled the user to embrace far stranger contradictions.) There was even an implant called Secular Humanist (‘You WILL hold these truths to be self-evident!’). No Vacillating Agnostic, though; apparently there was no market for doubt. For a minute or two, I lingered. For a mere fifty dollars, I could have bought back my childhood Catholicism, even if the Church would not have approved. (At least, not officially; it would have been interesting to know exactly who was subsidising the product.)

Being true to myself would have meant living with all my contradictory urges, suffering the multitude of voices in my head, accepting confusion and doubt. It’s too late for that now; having tasted the freedom of certainty, I find I can’t live without it.”

If that’s not religion to a T (even if this “certainty” is absolutely deluded), I don’t know what is.

*Apparently he’s what they call a “hard” science fiction author and apparently I like it real hard, ‘cause his work is exactly what I have in mind when I say I want to read science fiction, unlike a vast majority of, to quote the equally wonderful Ted Chiang, adventure stories with lasers (nothing wrong with those, just not my cup of tea, Earl Grey, hot Rolleyes )

(29-01-2017 02:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
We're having a birthday party for my little brother's goldfish today. It's 6 years old.

Oh, Bucky, my dearest darling Heart Laugh out load

[Image: 481301945.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-01-2017, 04:34 PM
I have to zoom in to read the posts on this thread.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-01-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 07:17 PM by cactus.)
The person below me has tiny nipples.
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
29-01-2017, 07:06 PM
(29-01-2017 05:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  The person below me has tiny nipples.

Took me a while to figure that one out; about 5 seconds. Tongue
29-01-2017, 07:21 PM
The person above me has tiny nipples.
07-02-2017, 06:43 AM
I have been hanging around this joint for five years now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post