The Whispering Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
26-04-2017, 07:21 PM
RE: The Whispering Thread
I think my obsessive joke of a brain has just found something else to gnaw on... I'm worrying whether I might've been inadvertently insensitive to some really nice people, due to lack of sufficient knowledge of Portuguese and the facts.

If nothing else, this trip has sure as hell provided my OCD with a fresh batch of things to nibble on. We don't want it to get bored or anything now, do we? Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-04-2017, 03:53 AM
(26-04-2017 07:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  I think my obsessive joke of a brain has just found something else to gnaw on... I'm worrying whether I might've been inadvertently insensitive to some really nice people, due to lack of sufficient knowledge of Portuguese and the facts.

If nothing else, this trip has sure as hell provided my OCD with a fresh batch of things to nibble on. We don't want it to get bored or anything now, do we? Dodgy

I am convinced that if I travelled anywhere, I would make all kinds of similar mistakes. That's why I usually stay in my basement. Hobo
27-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I am soooooooo lazy. I need to go pay a bill and run some errands but ... will I? Uuuuuhhh ... Nope.

No one to blame but me. These --> <--are the amount of fucks I give. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-05-2017, 10:08 AM
populous (ADJECTIVE):
Containing many people or inhabitants; having a large population.

populace (NOUN)
1. The general public; the masses.
2. A population.

Sincerely, a non-native, inherently inferior Eastern-European of a speaker Drinking Beverage

14-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Blaming yourself for everything is just as self-centred as not accepting any blame for anything. I've never considered myself an especially self-centred person, but maybe it's time I revised that... Undecided

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
15-05-2017, 02:16 AM
(14-05-2017 09:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  Blaming yourself for everything is just as self-centred as not accepting any blame for anything. I've never considered myself an especially self-centred person, but maybe it's time I revised that... Undecided

Blaming yourself is more like a bad habit in thinking, a kind of shortcut. It doesn't mean you are self-centered.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-05-2017, 06:38 AM
(15-05-2017 02:16 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  bad habit in thinking

Let me count the ways* Sleepy

Quote: a kind of shortcut. It doesn't mean you are self-centered.

I guess it depends on the situation... but thinking everything others do somehowreflects upon you or that *you* personally are responsible for pretty much everything does seem like some sort of perverted, inside-out self-centredness.

Conversely, I'm blaming myself for yet another thing that's not my fault Big Grin

* I just finally read the entire sonnet. *That* is why I will probably die alone (not sure about the bitter part though ;-))

"I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."

Facepalm

15-05-2017, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2017 07:26 AM by jennybee.)
(26-04-2017 07:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  I think my obsessive joke of a brain has just found something else to gnaw on... I'm worrying whether I might've been inadvertently insensitive to some really nice people, due to lack of sufficient knowledge of Portuguese and the facts.

In my experience, people who are kind enough to worry about whether or not they inadvertently offended someone, rarely offend anyone. And, if on the off chance you did inadvertently offend someone, if you come across the potentially inadvertently offended party again, you can always offer an apology. I'm sure they will be understanding since you are a nice person. If you don't cross paths again, throw the interaction up to the sun gods Wink and enjoy your trip!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
15-05-2017, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2017 08:11 AM by Vera.)
I did, Jenny, and apparently everything is all right. I just... don't handle the thought that I've done something wrong very well. Especially if it means having been insensitive to someone. And especially if I really like that someone. Which I do.

I also tend to blow things out of proportion somewhat (in my head only; you wouldn't know it on the outside Rolleyes )

And thank you! I *am* enjoying my trip even if I insist on torturing myself over this, that and the other ;-). Brazil is still a very special place for me, for various reasons...

Hug

18-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Psst -- just because I don't like something you say doesn't mean I'm "enraged", especially when I can't even summon the energy to raise my voice.

What you said didn't hurt me. I simply disagreed with it, and you didn't like hearing that disagreement.

I still and will always love you, but really, I told you I wanted to go to sleep with you, and I did ... until you asked me if I was sure.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post