The Whispering Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
25-02-2014, 07:09 AM
RE: The Whispering Thread
Well, apparently, I am capable of saying no. Once in a blue moon. Was just offered to translate a book from Portuguese... and turned it down. I know, rationally, that my Portuguese may be perfect for drunken hookups in Rio, but not really for translating fiction... and yet, it was still so hard to disappoint someone. Undecided

Fuckity-fuck! I think I need more practice saying no. Quick, someone ask something of me. Angel

(24-02-2014 07:48 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I have no idea what I'm doing in my life. Some days I get really down. I keep reminding myself that I ain't worth a good man (that's why I haven't attracted one and only the more douche-bags seem to hit on me) and I ain't worth caring much about (that's why people feel comfortable venting to me but just nod and continue onto themselves if I try to vent something to them and why my closer friends don't seem to stick long) and I only got the job I got cuz they were really desperate to fill a spot for overnights (that's why I'm having little luck finding a job closer to my Creative Writing BA).

Miss Suzanne, I so know what you're describing (well, sans the video games ;-)) and... the first bit is a coping strategy that... kinda works... the second part - well, most people mostly suck and only know how to take without ever giving the same (or even some) in return. Have been plagued with the best (or is it worst?) examples of "friends" like this all my life... as in, a friend whom I've spent probably years of my life consoling and helping through her numerous (and mostly silly) relationships and other problems, once actually told me we'll meet up only if I don't cry (and in all the years we've known each other, she's only seen me cry once and that was 'cause a jerk at work had just picked a fight with me and yelled at me and I don't handle conflict that well.) Hope it passes... without coming back again.

And yeah, it really isn't your fault that most people are so selfish. Took me years to get there...

Hug

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 06:18 PM
(25-02-2014 07:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Well, apparently, I am capable of saying no. Once in a blue moon. Was just offered to translate a book from Portuguese... and turned it down. I know, rationally, that my Portuguese may be perfect for drunken hookups in Rio, but not really for translating fiction... and yet, it was still so hard to disappoint someone. Undecided

Fuckity-fuck! I think I need more practice saying no. Quick, someone ask something of me. Angel

فأرجو أن يترجم إلى اللغة العربية وظيفة الخاص بك؟

#sigh
25-02-2014, 06:25 PM
The Whispering Thread
(25-02-2014 06:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 07:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Well, apparently, I am capable of saying no. Once in a blue moon. Was just offered to translate a book from Portuguese... and turned it down. I know, rationally, that my Portuguese may be perfect for drunken hookups in Rio, but not really for translating fiction... and yet, it was still so hard to disappoint someone. Undecided

فأرجو أن يترجم إلى اللغة العربية وظيفة الخاص بك؟

Vera, ĉu vi bonvole lavos mian aŭton?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
25-02-2014, 11:39 PM
(25-02-2014 07:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Miss Suzanne, I so know what you're describing (well, sans the video games ;-)) and... the first bit is a coping strategy that... kinda works... the second part - well, most people mostly suck and only know how to take without ever giving the same (or even some) in return. Have been plagued with the best (or is it worst?) examples of "friends" like this all my life... as in, a friend whom I've spent probably years of my life consoling and helping through her numerous (and mostly silly) relationships and other problems, once actually told me we'll meet up only if I don't cry (and in all the years we've known each other, she's only seen me cry once and that was 'cause a jerk at work had just picked a fight with me and yelled at me and I don't handle conflict that well.) Hope it passes... without coming back again.

And yeah, it really isn't your fault that most people are so selfish. Took me years to get there...

Hug
Thank you darlin' Hug really means a lot that you took the time to reply Heart

[Image: notagain.gif]
26-02-2014, 06:47 AM
I ain't washing anything of yours (or of anyone for that matter), Cardinal Smurf (didn't even need google translate). Dodgy See, it's working already! Now do it in Solresol ;-)

Girly, that'd be perfect for me to write, seeing as I'm left-handed. Well, if I actually still remembered how to write by hand...

Miss Suzanne, it just pains me so much to see people going through this. While there are also people out there, who think the world and everyone in it owes them something and live their lives demanding it. Don't know which is worse, but I know which one I prefer...

I wish I could say that everything is going to be all right, but who the hell really knows. All I can say is, let's hope for the best (even if expecting the worst)... And choose those we surround ourselves with more wisely (been slowly getting there over the last couple of years and it's been making a world of difference...)

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true..."

And speaking of little birds... it's a wonderful day today and we have primroses blooming in the garden already... and the blue tits are singing outside... Heart

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-02-2014, 07:06 PM
(26-02-2014 06:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  I ain't washing anything of yours (or of anyone for that matter), Cardinal Smurf (didn't even need google translate). Dodgy See, it's working already! Now do it in Solresol ;-)

Girly, that'd be perfect for me to write, seeing as I'm left-handed. Well, if I actually still remembered how to write by hand...

Miss Suzanne, it just pains me so much to see people going through this. While there are also people out there, who think the world and everyone in it owes them something and live their lives demanding it. Don't know which is worse, but I know which one I prefer...

I wish I could say that everything is going to be all right, but who the hell really knows. All I can say is, let's hope for the best (even if expecting the worst)... And choose those we surround ourselves with more wisely (been slowly getting there over the last couple of years and it's been making a world of difference...)

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true..."

And speaking of little birds... it's a wonderful day today and we have primroses blooming in the garden already... and the blue tits are singing outside... Heart
Glad you've been getting there, though it's been slow getting there. It gives me hope Smile That's all we can really do, I suppose. Hope for the best and do our best to surround ourselves with good people however hard that may be. Then again the good things are never that easy, are they? Just gotta not stop thinking about tomorrow. "Don't stop, it'll soon be here. It'll be here, better than before. Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone. Don't you look back." Right?

Though Bob Marley is good! Very chill. Glad you got little birdies. My dogs scare them off but they're cute, good dogs so I don't complain much Heart

[Image: notagain.gif]
26-02-2014, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 09:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
For Vera.

ssshhh ... would you even try? ... all the same ...all the sane ... all the same. ... dreams unwind love's a state of mind ...dreams unwind love's a state of mind. Your life knows no answer.... Duh.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2014, 04:29 AM
Thumbs Up RE: The Whispering Thread
I'm Looking for an Atheist/ Agnostic Girl Friend.. And that is why I'm here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Yesterday, someone told me (for no particular reason, nor because they want something from me): "Vera, I wish more people had some of all the good you have. You have so much that I'd still be talking more to you than them."

And... this is one of the sweetest things anyone's ever said to me Blush

(I also just spent quite some time (and will spend some more!!!), fixing a CV for a job that isn't really for me, but a publishing house is going to use it to apply for a book which they will then give to someone else, as I cannot and do not want to do it. Not sure about the good , but there sure is a lot of sucker in me Dodgy )

(Girly, think more Verve's Bittersweet Symphony:
"But I'm a million different people
from one day to the next
I can't change my mold" Rolleyes )

06-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Dawkins has successfully managed to kill the last measly remnants of my will to live. I wake up each morning (well, morning is a bit of a stretch, but let's not go there) and then I remember I have to translate his vomit and the only thing I want to do is go back to sleep and never wake up again. Ever. I'm not even kidding. This is what I had to deal with today, for example. Am whispering and not ranting 'cause I have no strength left. None. [Image: Sad_Lip_Quiver.gif]

"Those few months living as two families in one at Cuckoos provided the kind of magical memories that only childhood can. Beloved Uncle Bill made us giggle, calling us ‘Treacle Trousers’ (which Google now tells me is Australian slang for what the English call ‘trousers at half mast’) and singing his two songs, which we would frequently request.

Why has the cow got four legs? I must find out somehow. I don’t know and you don’t know and neither does the cow.

And this one, to a sailor’s hornpipe tune:

Tiddlywinks old man, get a kettle if you can, If you can’t get a kettle get a dirty old pan."

Yesterday was:

"One of the masters, probably Tank or Dick, used to lead us in community singing, including ‘The Camptown Races’ and:

I have sixpence, jolly jolly sixpence,
Sixpence to last me all my life
I’ve tuppence to lend and tuppence to spend
And tuppence to take home to my wife.

In this next one we were taught to sound the ‘r’ in ‘birds’, for reasons that I didn’t understand at the time, but perhaps it was presumed to be an American song:

Here we sits like brrrds in the wilderness
Brrrds in the wilderness
Brrrds in the wilderness
Here we sits like brrrds in the wilderness
Down in Demerara.
"

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post