The Whispering Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.75 Average
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 07:38 PM by Mr Woof.)
RE: The Whispering Thread
'I secretly fanaticise about being the ruler of the universe and this is also not infrequent Tongue[/size]

'In seeking to be gods we may become less than men' Paul Tillich...Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I really don't care very much about the BCS Championship Game. It's a choice between 2 colleges from the South: The Cousin F'ers versus The Sister F'ers.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-01-2012, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:44 PM by w0rmwood.)
Sorry if this is too overly serious... you said it was a confessional, so here we go.
Hate me if you will. I can never be sorry enough for how I've acted in the past and the way it still haunts me today.
I feel like I need therapy for certain things like this.

I feel like posting this is a bit of therapy, in a way.

As a Christian (albeit an asshole one) I used to use the word "faggot" and have friends that still do. It makes me cringe now. Just knowing what it means and originally stood for is enough to make anyone want to avoid it forever. I occasionally laugh or start to join in and then feel extremely bad about it and try to take it back. I am pro-gay-rights, they are humans and deserve to be treated like them. Homosexuality is a natural part of life. It's like us ganging up on people for having blue eyes.

I laugh sometimes at racist jokes and also immediately feel bad about them. I have made them in the past and avoid it now. I've never considered myself a racist, but I propagated hate even when making jokes. I guess you could say in the past I've been tolerant of racist speech and humor. Not any more. There is much higher level of humor that could be used. I don't know what to think about racism in professional comedy. Sometimes I think it can be done tastefully or with enough humor that it's not considered actually racist or furthering hateful ideas. But lately, I'm not so sure anymore. Some comedians that used to make me laugh I don't like anymore at all now (Carlos Mencia, etc). Though I value the opinion that in comedy nothing is off limits, I'm just not sure I agree with it.

I find it extremely sad how religion and living near/in the south has really skewed my "humor" and hateful sayings in the past. I'm trying to make things right with each new day. I'm trying to avoid my past and the still-often things I hear around here in Christian institutions and friend groups.

Most of all, I'm sorry to anyone this would affect. Even though most all of this has been done in private with friends that don't care, and years ago, I'm sorry, and people need to know that.

A discussion for another thread, but it's an odd realization that I feel like a better, more moral person without religion that I was with it.

If this post brings down the thread or kills it's overall positiveness, let me know and I'll delete the post

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like w0rmwood's post
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
(09-01-2012 07:33 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  'I secretly fanaticise about being the ruler of the universe and this is also not infrequent Tongue[/size]

'In seeking to be gods we may become less than men' Paul Tillich...Cool

Exactly Wink
19-01-2012, 02:10 AM
I am very busy in my life- two kids, two careers, friends, TTA (lol), appointments...blah blah blah- but sometimes I'll take a time out from it all and I'll lock myself in a room. Then, I'll stare at a blank wall like I am staring into space (it feels the same, trust me) and I'll try to stare into it like you stare out at space (in reverse mode) and it'll amaze me, the thought of what is beyond in the other direction. It calms me and makes me realize how this is all just an experience and sometimes for a split second I feel bliss.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
19-01-2012, 10:36 PM
It feels absolutely horrible to lose friends to religion. Not just a believer, that is no big deal. But when you've known someone for almost 20 years and in the last couple of years they get lost in their religion so far that you can't even see their personality or spend a few minutes talking about the weather without a mention of their religious views and messages they receive personally from God it is sad. Every breath, conversation and event is a superstitious mind game. Sad

RIP my friendship with her. After months of hope I think I just have to accept that things will never be the same and are changed in a manner too far gone.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
20-01-2012, 01:36 AM
(19-01-2012 10:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It feels absolutely horrible to lose friends to religion. Not just a believer, that is no big deal. But when you've known someone for almost 20 years and in the last couple of years they get lost in their religion so far that you can't even see their personality or spend a few minutes talking about the weather without a mention of their religious views and messages they receive personally from God it is sad. Every breath, conversation and event is a superstitious mind game. Sad

RIP my friendship with her. After months of hope I think I just have to accept that things will never be the same and are changed in a manner too far gone.

I am deeply saddened to hear of this and I hope you can still change their opinion.

I have recently been tongue tied within these forums and even though I do want to reply I seem I can't. I hope this changes soon.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
(21-10-2011 04:24 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  

I am 42 years old and I'm scared to tell my mom I'm an Atheist.

lol I know how you feel , my mother always says god bless you after we speak on the phone (makes me cringe when she says it)since I told her I do not beleive in god anymore. And she ask me not to talk about any more lol. My mom is sweet,and would give anyone the shirt off her back to help them. But she is very supetstious and wil not even entertain the thought there might not be a god.gotta luv those devout catholics and christians, (they remind me of lemmings being led off a cliff cute and clueless)

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Carrots make nice houseplants, and you can eat em too!

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 07:27 PM by Percepticon.)
(09-01-2012 09:34 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  Sorry if this is too overly serious... you said it was a confessional, so here we go.
Hate me if you will. I can never be sorry enough for how I've acted in the past and the way it still haunts me today.
I feel like I need therapy for certain things like this.

I feel like posting this is a bit of therapy, in a way.

As a Christian (albeit an asshole one) I used to use the word "faggot" and have friends that still do. It makes me cringe now. Just knowing what it means and originally stood for is enough to make anyone want to avoid it forever. I occasionally laugh or start to join in and then feel extremely bad about it and try to take it back. I am pro-gay-rights, they are humans and deserve to be treated like them. Homosexuality is a natural part of life. It's like us ganging up on people for having blue eyes.

I laugh sometimes at racist jokes and also immediately feel bad about them. I have made them in the past and avoid it now. I've never considered myself a racist, but I propagated hate even when making jokes. I guess you could say in the past I've been tolerant of racist speech and humor. Not any more. There is much higher level of humor that could be used. I don't know what to think about racism in professional comedy. Sometimes I think it can be done tastefully or with enough humor that it's not considered actually racist or furthering hateful ideas. But lately, I'm not so sure anymore. Some comedians that used to make me laugh I don't like anymore at all now (Carlos Mencia, etc). Though I value the opinion that in comedy nothing is off limits, I'm just not sure I agree with it.

I find it extremely sad how religion and living near/in the south has really skewed my "humor" and hateful sayings in the past. I'm trying to make things right with each new day. I'm trying to avoid my past and the still-often things I hear around here in Christian institutions and friend groups.

Most of all, I'm sorry to anyone this would affect. Even though most all of this has been done in private with friends that don't care, and years ago, I'm sorry, and people need to know that.

A discussion for another thread, but it's an odd realization that I feel like a better, more moral person without religion that I was with it.

If this post brings down the thread or kills it's overall positiveness, let me know and I'll delete the post

I'm sad that no one's responded to this yet and I want to give w0rmwood a hug. I think you're probably not a racist or a homophobe. I think in a nonthreatening context it's good to laugh at the human condition, and let's face it, humans have LOTS of conditions! I'm pansexual and I join in affectionate queer jokes with queer friends, but not in public where others will misunderstand and think it's ok for them to do. I think you're OK, and I think it shows character that you've made yourself vulnerable here. I hope you feel better.Heart

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Percepticon's post