The Whole "We were founded as a Christian nation" argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 10:12 PM
RE: The Whole "We were founded as a Christian nation" argument
It's funny how they never specify the particulars of this Christian foundation. It's manipulated to the desires of each politician or newscaster, which isn't exactly what Christ would vouch for. I see a lot of Christians disregard the laws of biblical text like women should be subordinates to men, or slaves should obey their masters, because obviously now that wouldn't fly well in their political campaigns. It's incredibly easy to stand up for a "morally sound," agenda when it has no impact whatsoever on your well being and illustrates you as a warrior of god. The whole Christian Foundation idea doesn't even have a basis, people just like to scream in it's defense because they've been told it's under attack, and if you sling Jesus's name into (or out like the whole war on Xmas ordeal), people go ballistic; it's a wonderful propaganda machine.

They likely don't even know what a Christian foundation is; I guarantee none of the Conservative women and teachers who slam letters to the president about how Christianity is being removed from schools would be smiling if we truly went back to a Christian society where they weren't even authorized to write in a political, forward fashion to indicate their interests.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ThreadingHurricanes's post
02-03-2015, 04:40 AM
(01-03-2015 07:17 PM)Blackout Wrote:  I think there's something more to it. Coming from an outsider's perspective, I think the foundations of a nation can have many details, and some become obsolete and insignificant with progress of time. My country has some of the oldest borders in Europe. 1000 years ago Christianity was a determinant and uniting factor for our independence. But that's completely irrelevant nowadays.

So basically, even if America was based on the Christian religion, that doesn't mean that 200-300 years later it still needs to be. After all, America accepted slavery in the beginning but now it doesn't. Ideologies, ideas, values and concepts evolve with time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
http://candst.tripod.com/tripoli1.htm
John Adams Wrote:As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
02-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes, but I was saying that even if it was based on the Christian religion it's completely irrelevant nowadays. The founding fathers of any nation should be praised but not worshipped.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
02-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Treaty of Tripoli - Article 11

Written by the same guys that wrote the Constitution.

Not sure how this is even an argument.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-03-2015, 08:12 AM
(01-03-2015 07:17 PM)Blackout Wrote:  So basically, even if America was based on the Christian religion, that doesn't mean that 200-300 years later it still needs to be. After all, America accepted slavery in the beginning but now it doesn't. Ideologies, ideas, values and concepts evolve with time.

Exactly just because we use to do things a certain way doesn't mean we have to STILL do it that way. This is why we allow all legal citizens of age to vote, we don't allow slavery, etc. .
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
02-03-2015, 07:52 PM
(02-03-2015 07:28 AM)Blackout Wrote:  Yes, but I was saying that even if it was based on the Christian religion it's completely irrelevant nowadays. The founding fathers of any nation should be praised but not worshipped.

I agree and understand what you are saying. I'm just pointing out that it never was a Christian nation.

Atir aissom atir imon
02-03-2015, 07:52 PM
(02-03-2015 07:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Treaty of Tripoli - Article 11

Written by the same guys that wrote the Constitution.

Not sure how this is even an argument.

Beat you to the punch Wink

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
02-03-2015, 08:02 PM
(02-03-2015 04:40 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
John Adams Wrote:As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...
I've never heard of this before. Thanks for posting it.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
02-03-2015, 08:09 PM
(02-03-2015 08:02 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 04:40 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
I've never heard of this before. Thanks for posting it.

No problem Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
03-03-2015, 06:47 AM
You have to take into account the "devout" inclination to paint history with a modern brush. This accounts for the modern Christian assuming that ancient Christians believed and worshiped exactly the same as the modern counterpart.

It also whitewashes the past to make it seem that earlier Christians didn't treat the cattle better than women and children, that they believed the earth was flat, the center of the universe - and anyone who wasn't a Christian wasn't really human - and could be treated as a slave or simply a savage who needed extermination.

When you "believe" anything is possible. (providing you ignore enough facts)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post