The Why game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 05:34 AM
The Why game
I've been recently thinking about a game I used to play with my brother which we called the "the why game".

One of us would start with a "why" question, to which the other one had to answer, and the answer would also be questioned. Sounds confusing? It went something like this:

-Why is this car here?
-Because its owner left it.
-Why did its owner leave it here?
-Because that's the best place for him to park.
-Why is it the best place for him to park here?

...and so on and so forth.

We were both on our first high school years, so it didn't surprise us much when we realized that for any question we could ask, the final, un-answerable question, would be about electrons.

For example, the parked car's ending would be something like: it's the best place for him to park because it's convenient, it's convenient because he wants to be close to his house, he wants to be close to his house because he doesn't want to be stressed about finding his car, he doesn't want to be stressed because it causes his body discomfort, it causes his body discomfort because signals are sent to the brain, and signals are sent to the brain because chemical reactions, chemical reactions because electrons. Or something like that anyway.

I didn't realize it back then, but almost every question one can ask about this world always ends up being a matter of the fundamentals of physics (of course back then we were only familiar with the electron as the smallest particle, so that's how far we could go.)

Now, I realized that I went back to the electrons and stopped there, even though I hadn't stopped being religious completely. I wonder, if Christian kids played this game, would "God" be the final answer for them?

Also, do you think there are any questions (excluding things we don't know yet and supernatural stuff) that don't end up being about the smallest particles that drive the universe?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
16-02-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: The Why game
Aside from philosophical ("How do we know anything for certain?") and impossible/nonsensical questions ("What does blue taste like?"), any and all things are answerable by physics. In other words, all objective and real things (as opposed to concepts) are answerable by physics. That's because physics is the study of reality itself.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
16-02-2015, 07:51 AM
There's are 11 Problem Management techniques that I cover during one particular training course.

One of those techniques is called 'The Five Whys'. The idea being that by the fifth one, you're likely to be close to the actual 'root' cause of the problem.

To exemplify this I do a parent-child kinda thing:

Dad?
Yes, son?
Why is the sky blue?
Good question. But is it always blue?
Erm ... no ... not at night.
OK then.
But, dad, why is it blue during the day?
Good. That's a better question. It's to do with the way that the Sun's rays reach the Earth.
Why?
It's to do with the angle that light passes through the Earth's atmosphere.
Why?
Well... er... it's called refraction and that's about the splitting of white light as if through a prism.
Why?
Dad? Why?
It just IS. OK? Now it's bedtime. Go to your room.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2015, 10:30 AM
DLJ, you reminded me of this (he also mentions the sky color question earlier in the show Big Grin):

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
16-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I would suck at this game because my answers are always "because".

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
16-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Why do we like music so much?
16-02-2015, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 06:43 PM by cactus.)
(16-02-2015 03:36 PM)4Syntraph Wrote:  Why do we like music so much?

Because God wants you to praise Him with song Laugh out load

but why does God want us to praise him with song?

because he's a narcissistic ass. Now stop asking so many questions, or Santa won't get you any presents this year.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
17-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Question 1)I guess you'd have to ask a Christian kid to find out for sure, most likely they would arrive at a conditioned response that Christianity instilled in them.
Question 2) the question why is intended to dig deep, so in the physical world you can always formulate any question to end up into a sub atomic level of matter.
It's more fun though to ask why about the unknown. Why do we believe in something that's not here or there? Why do we follow in the footsteps of the blind? Why haven't we invented flying cars yet? All head scratchers but still entertaining enough to pass time.
17-02-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't think we are playing this game right
17-02-2015, 04:16 PM
(17-02-2015 04:13 PM)4Syntraph Wrote:  I don't think we are playing this game right

Why don't you think we are playing this game right?

Wink