The Wisdom of Deepak Chopra

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 05:55 AM
RE: The Wisdom of Deepak Chopra
(03-09-2015 11:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 08:29 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I haven't seen much of him but he's a good speaker. I'll give him that, but I'm very hesitant (to say the least) on his *heavy* emphasis on the healing effects of spiritually. His idea is that a positive outlook is a recognizable part of any healing process because dopamine/serotonin/etc. produced could be responsible for otherwise unknown healing variations among similar patients. http://youtu.be/qsH1U7zSp7k

Is he gonna publish in a medical journal, or just promulgate woo with scientific sounding words in it and claim victory if someone ever does the legwork to find a link between dopamine and healing?

Why would he take time off from raking in the dough to do actual work? Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-09-2015, 06:02 AM
(04-09-2015 05:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 11:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  Is he gonna publish in a medical journal, or just promulgate woo with scientific sounding words in it and claim victory if someone ever does the legwork to find a link between dopamine and healing?

Why would he take time off from raking in the dough to do actual work? Dodgy

Indeed. He's a conman through and through. It's when I see this kinda 'X is a big bullshitter, but hey, he might be right about *this* area where he's got no expertise because he can string big words together'... just pisses me off a bit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 10:32 AM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(03-09-2015 11:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 08:29 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I haven't seen much of him but he's a good speaker. I'll give him that, but I'm very hesitant (to say the least) on his *heavy* emphasis on the healing effects of spiritually. His idea is that a positive outlook is a recognizable part of any healing process because dopamine/serotonin/etc. produced could be responsible for otherwise unknown healing variations among similar patients. http://youtu.be/qsH1U7zSp7k

Is he gonna publish in a medical journal, or just promulgate woo with scientific sounding words in it and claim victory if someone ever does the legwork to find a link between dopamine and healing?

It's similar to the god of the gaps argument. "we don't know why there are variations in healing amongst similar patients, therefore it must be due to the subconscious" ...only this idea is not AS ridiculous because dopamine and serotonin are actually real things. We just don't understand them fully yet. There may be some links between homeostasis and healing, but like I said, what I'm skeptical about is the *such heavy* emphasis on it. Obviously I'm not a doctor and so therefore he would need to explain this further, but from where I see it, the linkage is only minor and I think he's taking the whole idea a bit too far.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user