The Witcher 3 is gonna suck.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2015, 10:42 PM
The Witcher 3 is gonna suck.
Well not suck suck but I suspect it's gonna be like Dragon Age Inquisition.
DA:I was/is a good game. But it lacks something that the other Dragon Age games had, I just don't think it's as fun as the previous Dragon Age games and I think it's because it's too open world.

There seems to be this big push to make everything 'open world', like it's the holy grail of gaming. The issue is that you need to fill that large open world with interesting unique content or it becomes stale. A prime example of this is Far Cry 4. That game was very same-y, there was nothing really unique about different areas and it felt that most of it was filler to get this 'open world' concept. Another example is perhaps Shadows of Mordor though the gameplay was interesting with the changing officers and such so it wasn't as bad as FC4. DA:I is by far the best, all the areas are vastly different and have stories to do with them to complete. Though one gripe I have about DA:I is the collectibles (shards and the like). I fucking hate collectibles, it's lazy game design.

So anyway, The Witcher series is a fantastic game series. If you haven't played it you need to stop reading this and go play it. I think it's great because it has that mix of 'open world' and 'linear'. So like you have areas you can go too but they're semi-linear so you get this feeling that you go 'anywhere' but it's gently pushing in the right direction constantly. Another example is Dishonored. It had open world areas but was linear. Dark Souls/2/Demon Souls/Bloodborne are perhaps the best example of what I'm talking about. Dragon Age 1 and 2 were like this.

I like that sort of game play because you can fit a lot of interesting things into the area and you spend less of your time walking around and more actually doing things. But it's not completely linear and restrictive like pretty much every shootem up campaign ever. So this is why I think The Witcher 3 is gonna be ehhhh. It looks to me that they've fallen under this popular illusion that open world = good.
I think it's gonna turn out like DA:I, a good game but a good game in small doses and ultimately not as fun as its predecessors.

The developers have said it'll take 200hours+ to do everything but what does that mean? 15hour campaign followed by 185hours of collecting collectibles?

In saying that, there are a few open world games that are really good. Skyrim being the obvious and Fallout series being the other. When done right it can be good. I just don't like the idea of open world for the sake of open world. I'd rather game developers have a Dark Souls/Dishonored/Witcher1/2 style game style where it's 'semi-open world' and develop many interesting and fun things in it, rather than a huge open world filled with wide open spaces with nothing in them.

IMO of course.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2015, 11:04 PM
RE: The Witcher 3 is gonna suck.
(18-04-2015 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The developers have said it'll take 200hours+ to do everything but what does that mean? 15hour campaign followed by 185hours of collecting collectibles?

A Witcher 3 playtester needed 25 hours to speedrun the game - Destructoid

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-04-2015, 12:09 AM
(18-04-2015 11:04 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The developers have said it'll take 200hours+ to do everything but what does that mean? 15hour campaign followed by 185hours of collecting collectibles?

A Witcher 3 playtester needed 25 hours to speedrun the game - Destructoid

25hours to speedrun the game? Consider
This pleases me greatly.

They can take my money now.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-04-2015, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they'll nail it, earmuffs.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-04-2015, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2015 07:19 PM by Sam.)
I agree, that an open world does not always equal an awesome game, and it shouldn't be there for the sake of it. When its done badly it can be one of the most infuriating experiences in gaming... But when its done properly, in my opinion there is no more immersive experience in gaming. Hours can pass by without notice in games like Skyrim or Oblivion. In many ways, the world itself is the star of those games, with the story and quests secondary.

There have been some real disappointments... Watch Dogs especially for me. Where the world was open, but completely lifeless and little more than a backdrop. In those cases, would rather the developers had simply produced a linear story... Unfortunately for me, Watch Dogs didn't have a good enough story to keep me interested.

The collectibles thing can be shit too... If you're collecting parts for a weapon or armour set, its one thing, where there's an obvious incentive to go looking for those parts. But when its simply trekking around the map for hours looking for fucking animus fragments, I just can't be arsed and it feels like filler.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I loved DA:I and thought it kicked DA 2's ass. What is wrong with you? I loved that it was an open world game. There were only a couple things I would have changed.

First I would have gotten rid of repeatedly having to do the requisitions. In fact. There were many MMO style quests that the game would have been better off without.

Also the ending was lackluster, at least until after the credits. Talk about an awesome twist! I loved that surprise.

As for Witcher 3. I will wait to try it before I make a judgement.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Comparing Witcher 3 with DA: I could be apt, but I hope it don't turn this way. DA: I was a great game sure, but I don't feel like going through it more than once. I'd like Witcher to have this certain spark that will allow me to enjoy second or even third playthrough. Having prior experience with both Witcher and Witcher 2 I think third part won't be worse.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-04-2015, 01:32 PM
DA felt like a turn based RPG with zero impact on combat.. I mean... When you hit someone with a giant sword, it shouldn't look like you're tickling each other with feathers.

The Witcher on the other hand, already had a pretty fluid combat system last time around, and looks much improved now... And that makes for a massive difference in my books. Dismemberment and actual action reaction in combat immediately gives it an advantage over the stand-and-swing-pool-noodles combat of DA.
23-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Tactile feel can have some impact for some, I get bored with it actually after some time. Like Skyrim vs Morrowind I get much more bored with the Skyrim bump. Or I find Mass Effect 1 to have more satisfying combat than 2.

I like the dice roll to be more in the gamers visual action of it. I don't want that taken away to make it seem more hidden how the luck and rolls are favoring you.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-04-2015, 03:29 PM
(23-04-2015 02:37 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Tactile feel can have some impact for some, I get bored with it actually after some time. Like Skyrim vs Morrowind I get much more bored with the Skyrim bump. Or I find Mass Effect 1 to have more satisfying combat than 2.

I like the dice roll to be more in the gamers visual action of it. I don't want that taken away to make it seem more hidden how the luck and rolls are favoring you.

Both Skyrim and Morrowind had pretty terrible combat... It was wild swinging. Even with the tactile feedback on Skyrim, it still had very little interactivity between the fighters. Slashing, maybe the entire character would bump around slightly while still maintaining the same animation, and then one will go into ragdoll on the last hit...

Need something a bit more Shadow of Mordor meets GTAV... Fluidly interuptable animations and Euphoria controlled reactions/behaviours. In an ideal world..