The Witness *mild spoilers*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2016, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 08:36 PM by cactus.)
The Witness *mild spoilers*
I've progressed pretty far into the game now, and I think it deserves its own thread.

On its surface, the game is all about solving abstract logic puzzles. When you delve deeper into the hidden audio logs and easter eggs, though, there's an underlying philosophical and religious message to the whole thing, with quotes from famous scientists and skeptics like Einstein, Richard Feynman and James Burke. To me it basically sounds like the motto of Unitarian Universalism: "To question is the answer." Sometimes the secrets in the game feel a bit heavy handed and pretentious as the game tries to smack you in the face with long-winded musings on the nature of the self (puh-leeze), but it's pretty fun to try to uncover all the little hidden aspects of the game world.

The puzzles themselves are presented in a way that encourages the player to think scientifically, to form their own theories about how the rules of the game work, and then later refine those theories when they don't account for some previously untested edge case that gets introduced in a later puzzle.

I have looked up a couple of hints in a walkthrough, I'm not ashamed to admit. Some of the puzzles in this game are just mind-numbingly tedious to figure out, but most of the puzzles that are actually required to reach the end game end up being pretty straightforward as you become more familiar with the game mechanics.

I just unlocked the challenge area toward the end of the game, and holy crap, it's enormous! I thought I was pretty close to 100%ing all of the puzzle panels in this game. Nope, not even close. lol

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: The Witness *mild spoilers*
(30-01-2016 08:27 PM)cactus Wrote:  I've progressed pretty far into the game now, and I think it deserves its own thread.

On its surface, the game is all about solving abstract logic puzzles. When you delve deeper into the hidden audio logs and easter eggs, though, there's an underlying philosophical and religious message to the whole thing, with quotes from famous scientists and skeptics like Einstein, Richard Feynman and James Burke. To me it basically sounds like the motto of Unitarian Universalism: "To question is the answer." Sometimes the secrets in the game feel a bit heavy handed and pretentious as the game tries to smack you in the face with long-winded musings on the nature of the self (puh-leeze), but it's pretty fun to try to uncover all the little hidden aspects of the game world.

The puzzles themselves are presented in a way that encourages the player to think scientifically, to form their own theories about how the rules of the game work, and then later refine those theories when they don't account for some previously untested edge case that gets introduced in a later puzzle.

I have looked up a couple of hints in a walkthrough, I'm not ashamed to admit. Some of the puzzles in this game are just mind-numbingly tedious to figure out, but most of the puzzles that are actually required to reach the end game end up being pretty straightforward as you become more familiar with the game mechanics.

I just unlocked the challenge area toward the end of the game, and holy crap, it's enormous! I thought I was pretty close to 100%ing all of the puzzle panels in this game. Nope, not even close. lol

Was watching someone play it. Too smart for me lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply