The Wizard of Oz - pro-atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The Wizard of Oz - pro-atheist?
I had to endure the painful film The Wizard of Oz today with my little sister, but as it progressed I couldn't help but see the film having a very strong anti-religious message.

The girl is told that the only way to find what you need is to follow the narrow path to find the wizard of Oz. Along the way she finds other people who believe they are missing something that only a trip down the narrow path can give them. But they turn up at the Wizard's place and it turns out to just be a totally powerless character created by a man wanting to get money and power and such. And then it turns out that all of them have what they thought they were missing with them the whole time, but they were so sure the wizard was the only way to give it to them that they couldn't see.

That seems pretty anti-religious to me.

And I'm sure someone who paid more attention to the film might have noticed more elements that I did not.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
23-11-2011, 08:26 PM
RE: The Wizard of Oz - pro-atheist?
I totally see that in the wizard of oz as well. It's a pretty bad movie though and I'm sorry you had to sit through the whole thing. As far as I can tell oz only seems to resonate with girls, kind of like grease.

As a note I would like to say that I am guilty of seeing whatever point of view I hold as being the secret hidden message of any movie I actually like. Pleasantville being one of those. Now while i really do not like the wizard of oz (not to be confused with the awesome The Wizard starring that kid from wonder years... Mario 3 FTW) I may be reading too much into the atheistic aspects of the storyline.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
24-11-2011, 01:20 PM
There's enough chick in me to dig Twilight, but I still can't stand Oz, so there! Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2011, 04:34 PM
The Wizard of Oz is a wonderful parable. ... And it's got flying monkeys. Big Grin

(24-11-2011 01:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There's enough chick in me to dig Twilight, but I still can't stand Oz, so there! Tongue

Damn dude, I love Twilight too, but I gotta lay off the testosterone gel for like 3-4 days before I can watch it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-11-2011, 05:04 PM
The psychology of gender is very much real science in my book. Wink

And I agree with the OP; but I also consider that religious imagery is prevalent in American filmmaking - and yet it could just be the prevalence of religious imagery in the mind of this subject. There is much to be said about the memetics of Ghost - however I feel "meme" is not encoded in word but in pattern.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-11-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 05:20 PM by Erxomai.)
I'm not ashamed to admit here in public that the flying monkeys and wicked witch still scare me just a little. Just like clowns do.

Pro-atheist? Best commentary on religion ever set on film: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

GirlyMan on the subject of Tween Movies:

"Damn dude, I love Twilight too, but I gotta lay off the testosterone gel for like 3-4 days before I can watch it."

This comes as no surprise to anyone familiar with your screenname.

Is the gel really that good? Where can I get in on this? (See what I just did there?)

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-11-2011, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 08:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-11-2011 05:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This comes as no surprise to anyone familiar with your screenname.

Is the gel really that good? Where can I get in on this? (See what I just did there?)

If your balls have stopped doing what they're supposed to do, then pharmaceutical support seems like a not unreasonable option.

24-11-2011, 08:49 PM
(24-11-2011 08:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-11-2011 05:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This comes as no surprise to anyone familiar with your screenname.

If your balls have stopped doing what they're supposed to do, then pharmaceutical support seems like a not unreasonable option.

I'm all for reasonable options.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-11-2011, 08:57 PM
(24-11-2011 08:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-11-2011 08:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'm all for reasonable options.

Yeah, like duh.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-11-2011, 03:17 PM

I am the 1st to admit that i dont pay attention to things as much as i should. I dont know when i am being flirted with. Generally dont listen to lyrics of songs....

So i never really thought of OZ as Pro Atheist...but now that you mention it...HELL YEAH!

My 'saved' wife wont like my new found observation of one of her favorite films.................

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post