The Word of Man

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
05-01-2010, 01:45 AM

The Word of Man
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned."
--anonymous

"I don't try to imagine a personal God; it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world, insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it"
--Albert Einstein

"Truth in matters of religion,
is simply the opinion that has survived."
--Oscar Wilde

"In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind old men as
guides"
-- Heinrich Heine

"One does not have to appeal to God to set the initial conditions for the creation of the universe, but if one does, He would have to act through the laws of physics"
--Stephen Hawking

"Everything is what it is because it got that way"--D'Arcy Thompson

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"
-- Abraham Lincoln

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
--Carl Sagan

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their
own desires."
--Susan B. Anthony

"Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers."
--Janis Joplin

"The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Fundamentalists are not friends of democracy. And that includes you fundamentalists in America."
--Karen Armstrong

"A professorship of theology should have no place in our institution"
--Thomas Jefferson

"So we have the strange phenomenon, as Kant assures us, of a mind believing with all its strength in a real prescence of a set of things of no one of
which it can form any notion whatsoever"
--William James

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
--Christopher Hitchens

"Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That for all they care, I can go to Hell"
--W.H. Auden

"I think that there are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than the fanaticism of fundamentalism, of all the species: Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as countless other smaller infections. Is there a conflict between science and religion here? There most certainly is."
--Daniel Dennett

"Where questions of religion are concerned, people are guilty of every
possible sort of dishonesty and intellectual misdemeanor."
--Sigmund Freud

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that society has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
--Richard Dawkins

"The immense majority of intellectually eminent men dis-believe in Christian religion, but they conceal the fact in public, because they are afraid of losing their
incomes."
--Bertrand Russell

"There is in every village a torch--the teacher: and an extinguisher--
the clergyman."
--Victor Hugo

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man--living in the sky--who watches everything you do , every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time....
But He loves you!
--George Carlin

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him."
--Voltaire

"It isn't just that I don't believe in God, and naturally, hope there is no God!
I don't want there to be a God; I don't want the universe to be like that"
--Thomas Nagel

"Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things---that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg

"Believing as I do that man in the distant future will be a far more perfect creature than he now is, it is an intolerable thought that he and all other sentient beings are doomed to complete annihilation after such long-continued slow progress. To those who fully admit the immortality of the human soul, the
destruction of our world will not appear so dreadful."
--Charles Darwin

"It was a schoolboy who said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so.""
--Mark Twain

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview--nothing more constraining, more blinding to innovation,
more destructive of openness to novelty."
--Stephen Jay Gould

"Ancestor worship must be an appealing idea to those who are about to
become ancestors"
--Steven Pinker

"The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze Age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved--Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. These are sky-god religions. They are, literally, patriarchal--God is the Omnipotent Father--hence the loathing of women for 2,000 years in those countries afflicted by the sky-god and
his earthly male delegates"
--Gore Vidal

"Strange is our situation here on Earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men--above all for those upon whose smiles and well-being
our own happiness depends."
--Albert Einstein
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 01:33 AM

RE: The Word of Man
Those are great. I like this one, taken from Zeitgeist:

"Christianity, along with all other theistic belief systems, is the fraud of the age. It serves to detach the species from the natural world, and likewise, each other. It supports blind submission to authority. It reduces human responsibility to the effect that "God" controls everything, and in turn awful crimes can be justified in the name of Divine Pursuit. And most importantly, it empowers those who know the truth but use the myth to manipulate and control societies. The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish"

I tried searching for its original author, but failed. It might be Peter Joseph, the movie's director.
06-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Wow , that's a really good one. I was just looking for short quotes from famous people but now you got me wanting to look through my philosophy books for the really intense stuff.
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Haha, I'm glad I gave someone some inspiration today.
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
"All right, I'm not stupid," said Susan. "You're saying that humans need fantasy to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WERE SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

"It's hard to explain," said Brutha. "I think... you should do things because they're right. Not because gods say so. They might say something different another time."
- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2010, 12:44 PM

"What to the American slave is your Fourth of July? I answer, a day that reveals to him more than all other days of the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is a constant victim. To him your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciation of tyrants, brass-fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and solemnity, are to him mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy--a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation of the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of these United States at this very hour."
---Frederick Douglass 1852 Independence Day address
11-02-2010, 06:24 AM

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid." - Marcus Aurelius

Just registered on this site! Hello, fellow rationalists! Smile
11-02-2010, 11:57 AM

(11-02-2010 06:24 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid." - Marcus Aurelius

Just registered on this site! Hello, fellow rationalists! Smile
I like it---I'm not afraid either (my sister named her guinea pig Marcus Aurelius when we were kids) But that sums it up pretty well--if you live a good life you have nothing to fear. Mostly immoral people want you to fear a god--if for no other reason than to help alleviate some of the guilt they feel from their own transgressions.
"God is dead."
---Nietzche

Sartre adds --"It is necessary to draw the consequences of His absence right to the end."

and further he writes---

"The existentialist, on the contrary, finds it extremely embarrassing that God does not exist, for there disappears with Him all possibility of finding values in an intelligible heaven."

he goes on---

" Thus we have neither behind us, nor before us, in a luminous realm of values, any means of justification or excuse. We are left alone, without excuse. That is what I mean when I say that man is condemned to be free."
---Sartre
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles became dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space. I was free - free to think, to express my thoughts - free to live my own ideal, free to live for myself and those I loved, free to use all my faculties, all my senses, free to spread imagination's wings, free to investigate, to guess and dream and hope, free to judge and determine for myself... I was free! I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously faced all worlds."
- Robert G. Ingersoll

And welcome to The Thinking Atheist, supermanlives!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2010, 01:01 AM

"The day will come when the sun will shine on free men only, who will regard Reason alone as their master; and when tyrants and slaves, priests and their treacherous tools will exist only in the pages of history and in the scenes of the theater."

"This picture of the human race... advancing with firm and sure steps toward the attainment of truth, virtue and happiness...presents to the philosopher a spectacle which will console him for the errors, the crimes, the injustices with which the earth is still polluted and whose victim he often is."
---Marquis de Condorcet
(a hero of the American Revolution, he along with Thomas Paine wrote the first draft of the constitution of the new French republic)