The World's Ills

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 06:28 AM
The World's Ills
Sup, Erbody.

I have a question.

If religion disappeared, would that solve all of the world's ills and if not, which ills would remain and how would you suggest addressing them?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 06:37 AM
RE: The World's Ills
If religion disappeared, I don't think that all the world's ills would be solved; however, we would at that point have a lot more free time to work on those ills.
20-08-2012, 06:39 AM
We'll never achieve 100% in anything but I think that science, art, and technology can and will pave the way as religion gradually fades away into history.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
20-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Greed. Definitely greed will remain, a sad side effect from the desire of self-survival. This is one of the major ills of the world, causing untold suffering to the victims in various forms. To solve it is no simple task, but I suggest a strong foundation in morality at a young age. Drill the concept of "doing good for the sake of doing good", and emphasise its importance early... wait a minute this sounds a lot like indoctrination.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
20-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Greed, aggression, ambition, the desire for certainty and the need to control all contribute to the world's ills. Religion is only one manifestation of human traits. Remove religion and they will find a different form of expression, as they did in the USSR and China.
Human nature won't change very quickly. The only means i can see to encourage the constructive side of human nature (co-operation, reason, ingenuity, compassion) and discipline its destructive side is democracy. Through the 20th century, democracy spread; despotism and religion declined. That's why the hard right, including fundamentalist religious factions, world-wide, are trying so hard to suppress and corrupt democratic process. You need to wrest it back.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post