The Worst Religion is Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: The Worst Religion is Islam?
(23-06-2014 08:30 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 08:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, I dunno. When's the last time you heard about Sikhs beheading prisoners and dynamiting world heritage sites?

Yabut still it is not a matter of beheading, woo can kill you in the end as well.

False equivalency does no one any favors.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-06-2014, 08:33 PM
(23-06-2014 08:30 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 08:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, I dunno. When's the last time you heard about Sikhs beheading prisoners and dynamiting world heritage sites?

Yabut still it is not a matter of beheading, woo can kill you in the end as well.

Are you saying that's equally bad? That was your previous statement...

I still dunno. When's the last time you heard about Sikhs refusing medical treatment on religious grounds?

... this is my signature!
23-06-2014, 08:37 PM
(23-06-2014 08:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 08:30 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Yabut still it is not a matter of beheading, woo can kill you in the end as well.

Are you saying that's equally bad? That was your previous statement...

I still dunno. When's the last time you heard about Sikhs refusing medical treatment on religious grounds?

Gots to remember that woo is more than just medical treatment, but I see your point, though I was trying going to go for ignorance instead.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Anyone who thinks all religions are equally bad hasn't studied religion enough.

26-06-2014, 01:36 AM
Religion isn't the root cause of evil otherwise amoral actions. Humans are.

What Religion does is to legitimize these actions.

You can see similar behavior during the Kosovo war when Serbian christian tried to perform genocide on the Muslim Albanians. Or in Uganda today where its a Capital offense for being gay. Or how slavery (and later segregation of the races) was legitimized by the bible in the states.

What you hear in the news largely are actions in a few countries in the Middle East, most prominent are Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq (though there are others).

What these countries has in common is little to no industry, abject poverty, extreme difference between rich and poor, poor to non-existent healthcare, high child mortality rate and high general mortality rate. In other words places where life is cheap and desperation is high. This is the real reason behind most of the atrocities committed.
[+] 1 user Likes Lunda's post
26-06-2014, 03:39 AM
I think it's the people, rather then religion.

For example, nominally Muslim nations like Azerbaijan, or Kazakhstan don't have the same issues as Somalia, or Pakistan.

I know I'm leaving some out.
26-06-2014, 06:05 AM
This reminds me of a discussion on another forum where a Christian was going on about how terrible Islam is, but was handwaving away any criticism of Christianity (he made the most epic troll post I've ever seen!*). After a while of reading it, it seemed akin to comparing the Nazis to the KKK. I mean, I'm sure most of us would say the Nazis were worse due to the scope of their atrocities. You could bring up stuff the KKK has done on their own, or other differences, but in the end, they're both bad. Do we really need to know which is worse?

It becomes this comparison of racist apples to genocidal oranges; I don't want either.

* Epic troll post:
One person had commented on how the real difference we see comes more from their environment than the religion. He mentioned how moderate Islam isn't much different than moderate Christianity. He said what we see in the Middle East is more of cultural and socioeconomic issues. To make a point, he brought up the LRA in Africa as an example of violent Christianity.

The Christian's response was "Yeah, give blacks Christianity and you see what happens".
26-06-2014, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 01:58 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(23-06-2014 08:34 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Although I have been an Atheist for about 15 years now, I just recently read my first 'Atheist' book, God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I didn't enjoy the read as much as some folks, but it did get me more interested in researching Islam, and I have. The Islamic states are fucking disgusting. It offends every fiber of my being and I really do hate the evil men in positions of authority in places like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Egypt, and even Turkey. But is Islam the cause, or the vehicle by which this sick power is wielded? If Muhammad had never lived, would we the the same or similar problems, or is he to blame? What about Paul of Tarsus/Saul in Christianity? Who or what is to blame?
Well to be honest Islam is just another monotheist religion which is very much identical to Judaism&Xtianity they both are extremely dogmatic,misogynistic,its holy books depict ethnic cleansing and other psychopathic stuff.

It just so happens to be the religion of state for some of the most backward totalitarian unstable 3rd world countries.

Swap Christianity with Islam and you'd still have the same problems the main problem is the lack of education and human rights in those areas radical&extremist groups take advantage of their unemployment and brainwash them into becoming insurgents.

I've also noticed that quite a lot of "Atheists" are simply ill informed about Islam and just make borderline xenophobic&racist generalizations about it.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
26-06-2014, 04:22 PM
(26-06-2014 01:50 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I've also noticed that quite a lot of "Atheists" are simply ill informed about Islam and just make borderline xenophobic&racist generalizations about it.

... How does one make a racist generalisation about a religion?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-06-2014, 05:33 PM
(26-06-2014 04:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-06-2014 01:50 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I've also noticed that quite a lot of "Atheists" are simply ill informed about Islam and just make borderline xenophobic&racist generalizations about it.

... How does one make a racist generalisation about a religion?
Its easy.. a Muslim = Sandnigger,terrorist,towelhead.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence