The Worst Religious Holiday - EVER!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
02-03-2015, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 09:21 AM by Ace.)
The Worst Religious Holiday - EVER!!!!!!
http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/dean...us-holiday

I find it maddening that people actually defend this shit, when is infanticide ever a just/good/moral etc thing ? EVER ?

my fav part in that page
Quote:The slaughter is the pivotal event, it’s the one that gets the Hebrews free and starts them on their way to their own accomplished genocides in their tiny bit of the Promised Land as under their new leader Joshua they exterminate the local inhabitants whose only crime was being alive where YHWH wanted the Hebrews to live. The creator of the universe, and of all humanity, never uses an eviction notice, but then in those days he wasn’t the Canaanites’ god any more than he was the god over the Egyptians. He was a petty tribal god, exuding antipathy for the parts of humanity that wasn’t Hebrew – in short, a celestial racist. We should be pleased that YHWH exhibits no knowledge of any cultures or peoples beyond about a thousand or so kilometers of Jerusalem, as there is no telling what YHWH would have tried to do to them.

the bible should change its name to "the book about the biggest hypocrite, racist, misogynist, idiot, asshole to ever exist in fiction"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
02-03-2015, 09:20 AM
RE: The Worst Religious Holiday - EVER!!!!!!
(02-03-2015 08:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  the bible should change its name to "the book about the biggest hypocrite, racist, misogynist, idiot, asshole to never exist "

Fixed. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
02-03-2015, 09:22 AM
(02-03-2015 09:20 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  the bible should change its name to "the book about the biggest hypocrite, racist, misogynist, idiot, asshole to never exist "

Fixed. Thumbsup

fixed it further Yes
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
02-03-2015, 10:33 AM
(02-03-2015 08:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/dean...us-holiday

I find it maddening that people actually defend this shit, when is infanticide ever a just/good/moral etc thing ? EVER ?

my fav part in that page
Quote:The slaughter is the pivotal event, it’s the one that gets the Hebrews free and starts them on their way to their own accomplished genocides in their tiny bit of the Promised Land as under their new leader Joshua they exterminate the local inhabitants whose only crime was being alive where YHWH wanted the Hebrews to live. The creator of the universe, and of all humanity, never uses an eviction notice, but then in those days he wasn’t the Canaanites’ god any more than he was the god over the Egyptians. He was a petty tribal god, exuding antipathy for the parts of humanity that wasn’t Hebrew – in short, a celestial racist. We should be pleased that YHWH exhibits no knowledge of any cultures or peoples beyond about a thousand or so kilometers of Jerusalem, as there is no telling what YHWH would have tried to do to them.

the bible should change its name to "the book about the biggest hypocrite, racist, misogynist, idiot, asshole to ever exist in fiction"

This myth runs into the same problem so many other biblical myths run into. It makes no sense for a supposedly all-powerful god to do any of this. If this god wanted to free the Hebrews, why not put all of the Egyptians asleep and they could peacefully walk out of Egypt? Why not teleport them to the promised land? Why not fly them on a magic carpet to the promised land?

When they get to the promised land, why kill everyone that was already there? Why not just give the inhabitants the urge to move somewhere else so it's unnecessary to spill a single drop of blood?

You can go on and on, the myth writers didn't even attempt to examine the consistency of the narrative of fiction they were creating.

The choices that are made by this god are stupid, capricious, wasteful , brutal and unnecessary and that's the god they constructed with their fairytale.

I don't know if they were just unbelievably stupid in the construction of their myth or they were aware that no one would dare question it and they could construct any ridiculous fairy tale they could come up with.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
02-03-2015, 10:42 AM
I've always wondered why this survives. There's no other record of it. You'd think these plagues and the death of ALL the firstborn would make someone take note. But no one in Egypt thought to talk about the water turning to blood, or the rain of fire, or the death of all those people for no reason.
02-03-2015, 10:58 AM
(02-03-2015 10:42 AM)natachan Wrote:  I've always wondered why this survives. There's no other record of it. You'd think these plagues and the death of ALL the firstborn would make someone take note. But no one in Egypt thought to talk about the water turning to blood, or the rain of fire, or the death of all those people for no reason.

Not only is it not in Egyptian records, but there's no mention in any other records, the Nile is over 4,000 miles long and extends through several countries. If it turned to blood, I think we would easily see evidence in writings from other regions and the massive interruption in trade and farming would have been an upheaval that would decimate the entire continent.

The disruption of Egyptian trade would have been noticed by the Babylonians, Canaanites, Hittites and any other empire of that time, it would have been a major event that simply could not have escaped notice.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
02-03-2015, 11:20 AM
(02-03-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 10:42 AM)natachan Wrote:  I've always wondered why this survives. There's no other record of it. You'd think these plagues and the death of ALL the firstborn would make someone take note. But no one in Egypt thought to talk about the water turning to blood, or the rain of fire, or the death of all those people for no reason.

Not only is it not in Egyptian records, but there's no mention in any other records, the Nile is over 4,000 miles long and extends through several countries. If it turned to blood, I think we would easily see evidence in writings from other regions and the massive interruption in trade and farming would have been an upheaval that would decimate the entire continent.

The disruption of Egyptian trade would have been noticed by the Babylonians, Canaanites, Hittites and any other empire of that time, it would have been a major event that simply could not have escaped notice.

It's almost as if it was all just made up. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
02-03-2015, 12:09 PM
(02-03-2015 10:33 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/dean...us-holiday

my fav part in that page

This myth runs into the same problem so many other biblical myths run into. It makes no sense for a supposedly all-powerful god to do any of this. If this god wanted to free the Hebrews, why not put all of the Egyptians asleep and they could peacefully walk out of Egypt? Why not teleport them to the promised land? Why not fly them on a magic carpet to the promised land?

When they get to the promised land, why kill everyone that was already there? Why not just give the inhabitants the urge to move somewhere else so it's unnecessary to spill a single drop of blood?

You can go on and on, the myth writers didn't even attempt to examine the consistency of the narrative of fiction they were creating.

The choices that are made by this god are stupid, capricious, wasteful , brutal and unnecessary and that's the god they constructed with their fairytale.

I don't know if they were just unbelievably stupid in the construction of their myth or they were aware that no one would dare question it and they could construct any ridiculous fairy tale they could come up with.

the 10 commandments story also share the same things

the bible was compiled from several books after a committee read through it all and cherry picked the books they liked the most and threw away the ones they didn't like Facepalm

and yet they couldn't do simple proofreading ?Facepalm who were in this committee ? the inmates of arkham asylum ? Consider
02-03-2015, 03:40 PM

my fav part in that page

Good questions. Looks like you and the author of the webpage forgot that God revisited on the Egyptians the infanticide they practiced on the Israelites. Moses was one of a few who survived an entire generation condemned to slaughter; God brought the infanticide on the Egyptians because sometimes we see people reaping what they sow. Other times we must wait for the next world...

You seem very righteous in your anger about the Passover killings. Are you equally zealous about the earlier Egyptian holocaust? Level playing field.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
02-03-2015, 03:41 PM
(02-03-2015 10:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Absolutely. There are tons and tons of volumes of literature from 15th century BCE Egypt--written on the many papyri and stele that survived the period. Smartass Gimme a break!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.