The Worst Religious Holiday - EVER!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
11-03-2015, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 04:42 PM by TheInquisition.)
RE: The Worst Religious Holiday - EVER!!!!!!
(11-03-2015 12:41 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

First, while I appreciate your creativity in coming up with new "disses" of the Exodus, some of your ideas are spurious.

Does the story say any Egyptians died drinking the blood? So why assume all the river life died?

OMG this is hilarious, Kudos to you Q, you just found another plot hole in the Exodus story! You're absolutely right, the bible says nothing about Egyptians dying from drinking the blood from the Nile, or even getting sick, another significant detail that they left out that could lend believability to this myth. DERP!!

The other funny part was where you invoked god-magick to caulk over the plot hole. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

I also like how you're arguing against finding any physical evidence for this myth.

You are at your fucking best when you're unintentionally funny!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-03-2015, 12:33 AM
(11-03-2015 04:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

First, while I appreciate your creativity in coming up with new "disses" of the Exodus, some of your ideas are spurious.

Does the story say any Egyptians died drinking the blood? So why assume all the river life died?

OMG this is hilarious, Kudos to you Q, you just found another plot hole in the Exodus story! You're absolutely right, the bible says nothing about Egyptians dying from drinking the blood from the Nile, or even getting sick, another significant detail that they left out that could lend believability to this myth. DERP!!

The other funny part was where you invoked god-magick to caulk over the plot hole. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

I also like how you're arguing against finding any physical evidence for this myth.

speaking of god magic, why didn't lord-good-for-nothing-almighty just use it to teleport everyone out of Egypt and actually look somewhat omnibenevolent instead of taking every chance to be an asshole without a second thought
12-03-2015, 05:27 AM
(12-03-2015 12:33 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 04:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  OMG this is hilarious, Kudos to you Q, you just found another plot hole in the Exodus story! You're absolutely right, the bible says nothing about Egyptians dying from drinking the blood from the Nile, or even getting sick, another significant detail that they left out that could lend believability to this myth. DERP!!

speaking of god magic, why didn't lord-good-for-nothing-almighty just use it to teleport everyone out of Egypt and actually look somewhat omnibenevolent instead of taking every chance to be an asshole without a second thought

This is a common thing in the bible, anyone can come up with a far more plausible method of resolving various problems than how this supposedly omniscient god did it. Apologists coming up with their half-baked unscientific answers just raise more questions.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-03-2015, 05:51 AM
(12-03-2015 05:27 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 12:33 AM)Ace Wrote:  speaking of god magic, why didn't lord-good-for-nothing-almighty just use it to teleport everyone out of Egypt and actually look somewhat omnibenevolent instead of taking every chance to be an asshole without a second thought

This is a common thing in the bible, anyone can come up with a far more plausible method of resolving various problems than how this supposedly omniscient god did it. Apologists coming up with their half-baked unscientific answers just raise more questions.

apologists would have a chance at making their god somewhat logical if they just stop using the "omni" words and made their god limited, fallible, imperfect, ignorant etc... which he obviously is Facepalm

but they can't let go of these omni-thingys because their damn book says their god has them, these immature spoiled children want a perfect infinite sky fairy when its obvious they can't have their cake
12-03-2015, 07:23 AM
(12-03-2015 05:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 05:27 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is a common thing in the bible, anyone can come up with a far more plausible method of resolving various problems than how this supposedly omniscient god did it. Apologists coming up with their half-baked unscientific answers just raise more questions.

apologists would have a chance at making their god somewhat logical if they just stop using the "omni" words and made their god limited, fallible, imperfect, ignorant etc... which he obviously is Facepalm

but they can't let go of these omni-thingys because their damn book says their god has them, these immature spoiled children want a perfect infinite sky fairy when its obvious they can't have their cake

If they would give up on Bible inerrancy, a host of problems goes away.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-03-2015, 08:38 AM
(12-03-2015 07:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 05:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  apologists would have a chance at making their god somewhat logical if they just stop using the "omni" words and made their god limited, fallible, imperfect, ignorant etc... which he obviously is Facepalm

If they would give up on Bible inerrancy, a host of problems goes away.

all those problems going away mean we finally have the prospect of hearing a god defined in such a way that we can agree is logically possible to exist, now all they need to do after coming up an actually coherent god is to prove their god exist

but then that would be self defeating as they have openly and proudly stating that they won't admit that they are wrong
12-03-2015, 08:55 AM

First, while I appreciate your creativity in coming up with new "disses" of the Exodus, some of your ideas are spurious. Such as "evidence of a mass extinction of fish in the Nile..."? a) Were you expecting fish fossils? b) Does the story say any Egyptians died drinking the blood? So why assume all the river life died?

Second, I've already addressed elsewhere this notion I've tried to disabuse you of that Pharaoh had no free will in the matter. Any Hebrew scholar, liberal or conservative, can explain how the words mean "God tested Pharaoh's heart [so that others might see Pharoah's thoughts as God TOLD MOSES would be seen]" and five minutes on Google can settle this issue for you. I cannot help you, however, if you know any Christians who believe in Reformation theology so much they include the Pharaoh verses as justifications of predestination.

Third, God kills everybody, everything! If you consider God's killing of the Egyptian firstborn infanticide (and don't get me started on the meaning of "first born" because you already accuse Him of Flood infanticide) then is it murder when an old man dies at age 90? Does God murder everyone? (Not if they are to live forever. Then He cannot murder anyone--only a human may commit murder by snuffing a life.)

Death is a design problem. Humans will correct it in time.
12-03-2015, 10:34 AM
(11-03-2015 01:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 12:41 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Any Hebrew scholar, liberal or conservative, can explain how the words mean "God tested Pharaoh's heart [so that others might see Pharoah's thoughts as God TOLD MOSES would be seen]" and five minutes on Google can settle this issue for you.

Yes, when you read something other than what the text plainly says you can make it mean whatever you want. How convenient.

Quote:Third, God kills everybody, everything! If you consider God's killing of the Egyptian firstborn infanticide (and don't get me started on the meaning of "first born" because you already accuse Him of Flood infanticide) then is it murder when an old man dies at age 90? Does God murder everyone? (Not if they are to live forever. Then He cannot murder anyone--only a human may commit murder by snuffing a life.)

Wow. You are a prime example of how religion warps perspective and clouds the mind. Killing infants for the "sins" of their parents is not something that any rational person would consider trying to justify. And why the special pleading about it not being murder for god because the victim lives forever but it is murder if a human does it? The fate of the "soul" is presumably the same either way but in both cases the victim is being deprived of the same thing. Face it, your god is a murderous, evil thug.

It is not convenient to see a crummy English translation and have to go to the Hebrew. If you want to know the Bible better, the Hebrew is like "tightening a rope to squeeze out something that is already there," rather than "inserting a thought or predestining a new thought". Does that help?

Also, I'm not making a special pleading that God doesn't murder when he causes a baby to live forever after death. I'm making an appeal that either you trust that all persons have an eternal destiny or go all the way via apatheism to the only logical conclusion. That everyone who dies at any age is murdered, as well as any animal and any plant.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
12-03-2015, 10:35 AM
(11-03-2015 04:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Actually, for the last few days I've thought it beneath you and beneath me to point out (again) what is obvious and also in the Bible--that the water was blood temporarily and returned to water.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
12-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Well perhaps all the fish didn't die off. Perhaps some did but others might not have. And omnivorous and carnivorous animals might not have a problem with blood in the water, what about herbivorous animals? What was the proportion of blood to water? If it was low enough perhaps the herbivores wouldn't have a problem.

Of course the simpler answer is that it never happened. Just like five percent of the global population didn't suddenly up and leave a country where the largest population center had a population of eighty thousand.