The "X" in Xmas literally means Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2014, 01:42 PM
The "X" in Xmas literally means Christ
I have to confess that I was ignorant about the history of the "X" in "Xmas."

Now I know, and "knowing is half the battle." The other half involves smart-ass comments on fundies' War on Christmas rants. Thumbsup

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/14/7374401/je...-christmas

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
14-12-2014, 03:02 PM
RE: The "X" in Xmas literally means Christ
Interesting. I'm Greek and I had no idea.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
14-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Well, sure. It's not really an X; it's a Χ. Chi, as in chi rho, which was popular back in the day as a sort of Jesus monogram...
(that's also where the usage 'Χtian' comes from)

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
14-12-2014, 04:32 PM
And it means cross, like xcountry

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2014, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2014 04:49 PM by Gordon.)
It's a way for cowardly Christians to have their materialistic holiday and deny Christ to the world at the same time.

You know, in Luke it says that Mary was impregnated in the sixth month of the year. Even at that time, they had the 365-day, 12-month calendar in use. That means Jesus would have been born 9 months later (because nothing says the birth was not a normal one) in March. Which would make sense, since March 21 is the Vernal equinox. That actually seems like a date God would be more likely to incarnate His son on.

Nevertheless, we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World, the Son of Man, The Son of God, Jesus Christ (Do those titles piss you off--tough Drinking Beverage ) on December 25th. If they turn it back into the pagan holiday it was, what do true followers of the Son care?

In fact, I think as a Veridican, and the inventor of the Veridican astrological system, I'm going to do a chart rectification and determine the astrological date and time of Christ's birth. It wont' be hard to do. It'll be my Christmas project. I'll come back and let you know. [Image: aries.gif]

Oh, and PS. Take your rep points and shove'em up your ass. Angry
14-12-2014, 04:58 PM
I thought maybe X came from "X markes the spot" as in an x was written on Jesus' wrist.... nail here ---> X and here ---> X . Big Grin Tee hee.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-12-2014, 05:11 PM
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's a way for cowardly Christians to have their materialistic holiday and deny Christ to the world at the same time.

You know, in Luke it says that Mary was impregnated in the sixth month of the year. Even at that time, they had the 365-day, 12-month calendar in use. That means Jesus would have been born 9 months later (because nothing says the birth was not a normal one) in March. Which would make sense, since March 21 is the Vernal equinox. That actually seems like a date God would be more likely to incarnate His son on.

Nevertheless, we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World, the Son of Man, The Son of God, Jesus Christ (Do those titles piss you off--tough Drinking Beverage ) on December 25th. If they turn it back into the pagan holiday it was, what do true followers of the Son care?

In fact, I think as a Veridican, and the inventor of the Veridican astrological system, I'm going to do a chart rectification and determine the astrological date and time of Christ's birth. It wont' be hard to do. It'll be my Christmas project. I'll come back and let you know. [Image: aries.gif]

Oh, and PS. Take your rep points and shove'em up your ass. Angry

Take your astrology and shove it up your ass. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-12-2014, 05:19 PM
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  In fact, I think as a Veridican, and the inventor of the Veridican astrological system, I'm going to do a chart rectification and determine the astrological date and time of Christ's birth. It wont' be hard to do. It'll be my Christmas project. I'll come back and let you know.

Take your time. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
14-12-2014, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2014 05:32 PM by Free.)
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's a way for cowardly Christians to have their materialistic holiday and deny Christ to the world at the same time.

You believe all that crap?

Mary got nailed by a Roman soldier named Pantheras, and raised a bastard child named Jesus. She was engaged to Joseph at the time, and since he knew damn well it wasn't his kid, he married the bitch anyways to save himself the embarrassment of being accused of being the father, which would contradict Jewish law and get him stoned for adultery.

From Contra Celsum:

Quote:Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery with a soldier named Panthéras.

Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

At first it was all hush hush ... but eventually the truth came out.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
14-12-2014, 06:03 PM
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Nevertheless, we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World, the Son of Man, The Son of God, Jesus Christ (Do those titles piss you off--tough Drinking Beverage ) on December 25th.

Why would more made-up titles for your imaginary friend bother me? Until you provide at least some small glimmer of evidence to support anything you claim it is all just you blowing smoke.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post