The "X" in Xmas literally means Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: The "X" in Xmas literally means Christ
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Nevertheless, we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World, the Son of Man, The Son of God, Jesus Christ (Do those titles piss you off--tough Drinking Beverage ) on December 25th.

No more than the title "The Great Pumpkin" pisses you off.
Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
14-12-2014, 06:58 PM
(14-12-2014 05:22 PM)Free Wrote:  
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's a way for cowardly Christians to have their materialistic holiday and deny Christ to the world at the same time.

You know, in Luke it says that Mary was impregnated in the sixth month of the year. Even at that time, they had the 365-day, 12-month calendar in use. That means Jesus would have been born 9 months later (because nothing says the birth was not a normal one) in March. Which would make sense, since March 21 is the Vernal equinox. That actually seems like a date God would be more likely to incarnate His son on.

You believe all that crap?

Mary got nailed by a Roman soldier named Pantheras, and raised a bastard child named Jesus. She was engaged to Joseph at the time, and since he knew damn well it wasn't his kid, he married the bitch anyways to save himself the embarrassment of being accused of being the father, which would contradict Jewish law and get him stoned for adultery.

From Contra Celsum:

Quote:Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery with a soldier named Panthéras.

Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

At first it was all hush hush ... but eventually the truth came out.

Drinking Beverage

What the what?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2014, 07:02 PM
(14-12-2014 06:58 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-12-2014 05:22 PM)Free Wrote:  You believe all that crap?

Mary got nailed by a Roman soldier named Pantheras, and raised a bastard child named Jesus. She was engaged to Joseph at the time, and since he knew damn well it wasn't his kid, he married the bitch anyways to save himself the embarrassment of being accused of being the father, which would contradict Jewish law and get him stoned for adultery.

From Contra Celsum:

At first it was all hush hush ... but eventually the truth came out.

Drinking Beverage

What the what?

It's from the works of an early church father called Origen. Celsum- a Jew- wrote a book critical of Christianity, and revealed this very interesting gem about Mary and Pantheras. It's not the only historical document about Mary and Pantheras either.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
14-12-2014, 07:07 PM
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  In fact, I think as a Veridican, and the inventor of the Veridican astrological system, I'm going to do a chart rectification and determine the astrological date and time of Christ's birth. It wont' be hard to do. It'll be my Christmas project. I'll come back and let you know.

I believe that the universe is infinite, thereby it would possess an infinite amount of everything.

I must commend you on breaking both the intuitive and counter-intuitive laws of physics and quantum physics, because you have somehow managed to contain all the fucking stupidity in the universe.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
14-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I wrote about this on FB 3 years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-c-...2480115612

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-12-2014, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PS0gce81s

Hope this link works. On my cell phone right now.
14-12-2014, 08:55 PM
(14-12-2014 04:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's a way for cowardly Christians to have their materialistic holiday and deny Christ to the world at the same time.

You know, in Luke it says that Mary was impregnated in the sixth month of the year. Even at that time, they had the 365-day, 12-month calendar in use. That means Jesus would have been born 9 months later (because nothing says the birth was not a normal one) in March. Which would make sense, since March 21 is the Vernal equinox. That actually seems like a date God would be more likely to incarnate His son on.

Nevertheless, we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World, the Son of Man, The Son of God, Jesus Christ (Do those titles piss you off--tough Drinking Beverage ) on December 25th. If they turn it back into the pagan holiday it was, what do true followers of the Son care?

In fact, I think as a Veridican, and the inventor of the Veridican astrological system, I'm going to do a chart rectification and determine the astrological date and time of Christ's birth. It wont' be hard to do. It'll be my Christmas project. I'll come back and let you know. [Image: aries.gif]

Oh, and PS. Take your rep points and shove'em up your ass. Angry

For someone so happy in your belief you sure are angry. What's the deal Ed? Chill a bit, talk to people a little. Hell's bells, are you off your meds again?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-12-2014, 07:04 AM
(14-12-2014 04:01 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, sure. It's not really an X; it's a Χ. Chi, as in chi rho, which was popular back in the day as a sort of Jesus monogram...
(that's also where the usage 'Χtian' comes from)

That's how I found out. I asked my pastor what that "PX" symbol was, and he told me, and then explained about X-mas actually being an abbreviation.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post