The absolutely crazy things that believers believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 09:40 AM
RE: The absolutely crazy things that believers believe
It's weird how people can say, "That is what I believe", when questioned. It sounds like an admission that it's a stupid thing to believe, that isn't representative of reality or backed by evidence; that it's an alternative way to come to conclusions, that I should take seriously.

Not really. What's special about religion? If I start saying, "Well, I believe this coat hanger controls Mars", then I won't get any respect for it. I'll be labelled as mental. If I add, "And that is my religion..." then suddenly it should be respected? What is a religion, other than a set of stupid unfounded beliefs?

I'm never nasty to people. I'd never go up to someone and start hassling them about their beliefs, nor start mocking them if they tell me them in a polite way. But if you ask me my opinion, I'll give it to you. Politely, of course. However, you'll get no support from me if you start maiming farm animals and claiming that a yellow pixie wants you to do it. I'm gonna get you carted away.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
02-05-2017, 10:05 AM
(02-05-2017 09:40 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's weird how people can say, "That is what I believe", when questioned. It sounds like an admission that it's a stupid thing to believe, that isn't representative of reality or backed by evidence; that it's an alternative way to come to conclusions, that I should take seriously.
Oddly this is exactly what Trump did in yesterday's bizarre CBS interview. He again brought up his accusation that Obama wiretapped him, and when pressed on it, he said to the reporter, "you have your beliefs and I have mine". As to what he meant: "you can figure it out". As to whether he stands behind his accusation: "I don't stand behind anything. I have my belief you you have yours; you decide which to believe" or words to that effect.

Pressed further, he brusquely ended the interview.

That was actually a microcosm of how conversations with god-believers often end up going. I believe what I believe, and if you don't believe what I believe, the conversation is done -- and no, I won't substantiate anything or explain anything, don't have to, don't want to. You're just "fake news". Go away.

Of course it is really just how conversations go with anyone who for whatever reason or ideology have made up their minds and don't want to be confused with facts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
02-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Rights, it's the idea that all beliefs are equally valid. That's a really dumb position to take.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
(02-05-2017 10:08 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Rights, it's the idea that all beliefs are equally valid. That's a really dumb position to take.

It's a dangerous position to take, because a true believer in Trump will accept it. The idea is to pretend that the media is biased and has *one* take on things, and Donald Trump has his own *equally valid* take on things, and is the source of Truth.

A Trump follower, watching the interview, would see his Dear Leader tiredly ending an interview which he knows will go nowhere, because the blinkered representative of the so-called "free" press won't accept anything that is presented to him as evidence, no matter how valid.

It's precisely the religious mindset.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-05-2017, 01:30 PM
I think it was Aron-Ra who said it (or could have been any number of popular YT atheists I watch), but I remember he said something to the effect of "The universe doesn't give a shit what you believe; the only thing that matters is what is true".
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-05-2017, 01:38 PM
To me the most crazy thing is they literally believe 2+2=5, if you bring up the story of the Feeding of the Multitude to Christians, for example.

02-05-2017, 03:19 PM
(02-05-2017 01:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  To me the most crazy thing is they literally believe 2+2=5, if you bring up the story of the Feeding of the Multitude to Christians, for example.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2. Big Grin

Loaves and fishes is a BS story, like most of it.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
02-05-2017, 03:21 PM
(02-05-2017 01:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  To me the most crazy thing is they literally believe 2+2=5, if you bring up the story of the Feeding of the Multitude to Christians, for example.

Wow ...this is a story I might want to hear! Which multitude was fed to Christians and when?

...yes, I'm kidding.
[+] 2 users Like Grauwyler's post
02-05-2017, 03:35 PM
(02-05-2017 01:21 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  What's next, having a religious belief about raping your child?
You tell me:

Father and son accused of rape want ‘only law book that truly matters’ at their trial: The Bible

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
02-05-2017, 07:40 PM
That's absolutely horrid Sad

This is a perfect example of what happens when you mindlessly accept a "moral code", regardless of how it actually impacts reality.

If I had to guess, I'd say these people are utterly devoid of empathy (which isn't their fault, some people are born that way or have it knocked out of them in childhood) and are just propping up whatever they want to do with whatever makes it look okay. Or it may just be ruthless indoctrination I suppose.

[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post