The absolutely crazy things that believers believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: The absolutely crazy things that believers believe
(02-05-2017 07:40 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  That's absolutely horrid Sad

This is a perfect example of what happens when you mindlessly accept a "moral code", regardless of how it actually impacts reality.

If I had to guess, I'd say these people are utterly devoid of empathy (which isn't their fault, some people are born that way or have it knocked out of them in childhood) and are just propping up whatever they want to do with whatever makes it look okay. Or it may just be ruthless indoctrination I suppose.

Or, they may actually be nuts.
Which I'm finding is not all that uncommon among certain groups of religious believers.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 07:06 AM
(02-05-2017 03:21 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 01:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  To me the most crazy thing is they literally believe 2+2=5, if you bring up the story of the Feeding of the Multitude to Christians, for example.

Wow ...this is a story I might want to hear! Which multitude was fed to Christians and when?

...yes, I'm kidding.

It helps to brine your multitude before cooking, otherwise it can be really dry.
[+] 2 users Like kemo boy's post
09-05-2017, 08:43 AM
Meh, religious fundies cause the death of a handful of kids in Idaho and places like it because modern healthcare is "evil" in their eyes. Meanwhile Congressmen from many of the same states pass this bullshit healthcare bill which the CBO estimates could cause 24 million people to lose health insurance over the next ten years, for the sake of a tax cut for the super wealthy - and that's perfectly fine. If 1% of those people die from a preventable illness that routine medical care could have prevented (and c'mon it'd probably be much more) that's 240,000 deaths.

I mean sure, letting your child die from meconium aspiration because basic medical services are against YOUR religion is utter bullshit but there are MUCH bigger threats to the wellness of our youth.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
10-05-2017, 06:28 PM
(02-05-2017 12:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 09:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We've had a few tragic deaths of this sort in Canada over the last few years, mostly in the name of "alternative" medicine practiced by morons. Happily, our judiciary has little compunction when it comes to making an example of half-wits that kill their kids with stupidity. Charges of first degree murder were laid in a recent and truly horrific case.

This is why alternative medicine is horseshit, and it's practitioners should be forced to prove it works or to fuck off.

You know what we call "alternative medicine" that actually works?

Medicine.

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 3 users Like A. Secular Human's post
11-05-2017, 01:33 PM
(10-05-2017 06:28 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 12:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  This is why alternative medicine is horseshit, and it's practitioners should be forced to prove it works or to fuck off.

You know what we call "alternative medicine" that actually works?

Medicine.

What "alternative medicine" really means is "an alternative to real medicine".

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
11-05-2017, 01:56 PM
(11-05-2017 01:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  What "alternative medicine" really means is "an alternative to real medicine".

Like "alternative facts."

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Well come on people ... let's liven this place up!
[Image: movie-rev2.jpg]
I know, you're thinking ... "Oh, that's just that idiot Will Farrell in a movie - it's not real.".
But this is...
[Image: snake-handlers-1.jpg]

Here's an interestingly weird video in case you have no clue what the fuck is wrong with these people. Dodgy

To me, this is probably the wackiest bit of christee™ nonsense there is. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2017, 06:29 PM
(11-05-2017 03:30 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's an interestingly weird video in case you have no clue what the fuck is wrong with these people. Dodgy

Snake handling whackjobs die on a regular basis.

Kentucky man dies from snake bite at church service

Snake-Handling Pentecostal Pastor Dies From Snake Bite

These are just the ones that you hear of. I have no doubt that others get sick or die after being bitten but you never hear about it because the xtian community keeps it quiet.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
12-05-2017, 12:31 AM
(11-05-2017 06:29 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 03:30 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's an interestingly weird video in case you have no clue what the fuck is wrong with these people. Dodgy

Snake handling whackjobs die on a regular basis.

These are just the ones that you hear of. I have no doubt that others get sick or die after being bitten but you never hear about it because the xtian community keeps it quiet.

Obviously didn't have enough faith Dodgy Why the hell these fools don't remove the poison sacs from the reptiles before handling them in public... or at least milk the venom out...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
12-05-2017, 04:45 PM
(12-05-2017 12:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 06:29 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Snake handling whackjobs die on a regular basis.

Obviously didn't have enough faith Dodgy Why the hell these fools don't remove the poison sacs from the reptiles before handling them in public... or at least milk the venom out...
Well the other crazy aspect of this is that the whole practice is based on a single verse at the end of the Gospel of Mark, part of an addendum that is widely accepted even by Christian Fundamentalists as a later addition / corruption that should not be regarded as part of the canon of scripture; it's absent from the oldest manuscripts, too. So the whole prophecy that true believers "will take up serpents" and not be harmed (itself probably riffing on the account from the Acts of the Apostles about Paul having a "viper" bite him, shaking it off into the fire, and feeling no ill effects) is from a passage of scripture that even most fundevangelists (particularly the non-charismatic ones who say "miracles are not for today") are happy to reject as a pious fraud or forgery of some kind.

If you're going to do something dangerous / questionable / contrary to common sense you at least don't want to find out that the scriptural command was some kind of hoax all along, even by scriptural standards!
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post