The absolutely crazy things that believers believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 04:52 PM
RE: The absolutely crazy things that believers believe
(12-05-2017 04:45 PM)mordant Wrote:  If you're going to do something dangerous / questionable / contrary to common sense you at least don't want to find out that the scriptural command was some kind of hoax all along, even by scriptural standards!

Well, someone's quite the party pooper. I feel a smite coming on.

Bring it, Jesus! Bring that smite! Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-05-2017, 05:48 PM
^^ Whoo! GLORY!
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
12-05-2017, 06:45 PM
(12-05-2017 04:52 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 04:45 PM)mordant Wrote:  If you're going to do something dangerous / questionable / contrary to common sense you at least don't want to find out that the scriptural command was some kind of hoax all along, even by scriptural standards!

Well, someone's quite the party pooper. I feel a smite coming on.

Bring it, Jesus! Bring that smite! Angel

> Can we get fries with that? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
13-05-2017, 05:58 AM
(12-05-2017 04:45 PM)mordant Wrote:  Well the other crazy aspect of this is that the whole practice is based on a single verse at the end of the Gospel of Mark

I've heard that the JW antipathy towards blood transfusions also stems from a single verse of questionable interpretation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-05-2017, 06:08 AM
(13-05-2017 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  I've heard that the JW antipathy towards blood transfusions also stems from a single verse of questionable interpretation.
Yes, "the life of the flesh is in the blood" Leviticus 17:11 is usually cited, although the prior verse makes it seem a little less of a reach:
Quote:And whatever man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people
I guess they figure if you can't "eat" blood you certainly can't mainline it. In context, the prohibition was more against eating meats from which the blood hadn't been properly drained, actually. (Another example of how anything that makes life more pleasurable, such as juicier, moister meats, is always on religion's shit list).

Of course it's an arbitrary ceremonial symbolic prohibition of a predecessor religious belief-system, and it's cherry-picking to turn it into a general principle. It's what happens when you believe god is immutable and unchanging, it leads to such nonsense pretty quickly. Although the more logical response if you think the god of the ancient Israelites never changed, is to simply observe the ancient Jewish religion directly. Somehow that never occurs to JWs, who are most certainly not observant orthodox Jews.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
13-05-2017, 09:05 AM
(13-05-2017 06:08 AM)mordant Wrote:  Yes, "the life of the flesh is in the blood" Leviticus 17:11 is usually cited, although the prior verse makes it seem a little less of a reach:
Quote:And whatever man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people
I guess they figure if you can't "eat" blood you certainly can't mainline it. In context, the prohibition was more against eating meats from which the blood hadn't been properly drained, actually. (Another example of how anything that makes life more pleasurable, such as juicier, moister meats, is always on religion's shit list).

Maybe he just wanted people to be vegetarians. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-05-2017, 05:03 PM
(13-05-2017 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 04:45 PM)mordant Wrote:  Well the other crazy aspect of this is that the whole practice is based on a single verse at the end of the Gospel of Mark

I've heard that the JW antipathy towards blood transfusions also stems from a single verse of questionable interpretation.
The entire Rastafarian religion is based on a single reference in a single Psalm: Psalm 68:4

Well, that, and the divinity of Haile Selassie.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
27-05-2017, 05:05 AM
(26-05-2017 05:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  I've heard that the JW antipathy towards blood transfusions also stems from a single verse of questionable interpretation.
The entire Rastafarian religion is based on a single reference in a single Psalm: Psalm 68:4

Well, that, and the divinity of Haile Selassie.

Which was established by an authentic miracle ™ Smile I quite like Rastafarianism. They're batshit insane in rather fun ways. Not so many of them nowadays of course, since Haile Selassie popped his clogs.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-05-2017, 05:11 AM
You want to hear about crazy? I work with a woman at the local Transfer Station who claims that she is psychic. She "sees" ghosts and angels, and even claims to communicate with her dead husband via some wind chimes in her kitchen. Facepalm
27-05-2017, 04:03 PM
(27-05-2017 05:11 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  You want to hear about crazy? I work with a woman at the local Transfer Station who claims that she is psychic. She "sees" ghosts and angels, and even claims to communicate with her dead husband via some wind chimes in her kitchen. Facepalm

Cue the quaint German clock sound...

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 1 user Likes A. Secular Human's post