The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2015, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 05:49 AM by DLJ.)
The aerial warfare thread.
Hi guys.
I have been studying aerial warfare since about age 6. In this thread I hope to add content and learn from others information. I first flew an aircraft around 9 years old. However I never went on to earn my pilots licence. Having chosen music as a career.

I do not claim to know all about this subject. In fact I hope to learn. I could join an aircraft forum, but like this one. I have spent many hours in military bookshops and have spoken with pilots who have flown F14's, F18"s etc. I also have spoken with WWII pilots. Australian pilots anyway. Mainly Spitfire and P40 pilots. Typically Aussies who are anti establishment and anti authority people. For example, during WWII RAAF pilots went on strike. as did Australian dock workers. Smile

I will concentrate a lot on Luftwaffe pilots as I know a great deal of information on the Luftwaffe. For example I own a JG 26 diary.

If anyone is interested in this subject please say so otherwise I won't bore everyone to death.

Yours. Dale.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
26-12-2015, 07:58 AM
RE: The aeiral warfare thread.
My dad was a commercial pilot when I was born. He quit flying as a career (low pay) shortly thereafter - but kept his ratings up by being an "on call" for one of the local carriers...

He graduated high school right after WWII -- so he missed that one - and the only way he was able to get in the USAF to fly, was by going in the reserves...... He did get to fly some fun stuff, including the P-51, and if I recall - the F86.... (seems he liked the Mustang the best)...

So I did grow up around aircraft -- and was a bit obsessed with fighter aircraft as a kid...

We took all our family vacations in light aircraft. Beech S-model Bonanza most of the time - but my favorite was the Cessna 310.

I got to sit right seat the most, and dad even let me sit left seat a couple times....

He even taught me the navigation -- VORTAC - and most of flight basics.....I even remember one time where dad fell asleep - as were mom and my sisters.....

I was the only one awake - and successfully navigated for over 2 hours.... Dad woke up - I pointed out our position on the chart-- he looked panicked for a minute or two, pissed for another five, then never said a word about it again......

Good times...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Dad is a retired Marine avionics and weapons officer so I grew up on Marine air bases. Constant exposure to aircraft like the A-1 Skyraider, A-4 Skyhawk, A-6 Intruder, F-8 Crusader, F-4 Phantom II, Harrier, CH-34, UH-1 and AH-1 gave me a lasting interest in military aircraft.

I read a lot of books about WW1, 2 and Korean War air combat. John Bolt and Pappy Boyington were my heroes. I've seen the Blue Angles fly F-11, F-4, A-4 and F-18, and thought the Harrier was the coolest thing ever when I saw my first one in the late 60s or early 70s. My favorite WW2 plane is the P-47 Thunderbolt. After that probably the A-1. A massive propeller driven attack aircraft that saw service in the US from 46 until 85. It could be configured to carry just about any kind of conventional ordinance.

[Image: Napepot.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
26-12-2015, 11:33 AM
P-38 is all I’m going to say about that.

[Image: Plane-3.jpg]

"In the Pacific theater, the P-38 downed over 1,800 Japanese aircraft, with more than 100 pilots becoming aces by downing five or more enemy aircraft.[86] American fuel supplies contributed to a better engine performance and maintenance record, and range was increased with leaner mixtures. In the second half of 1944, the P-38L pilots out of Dutch New Guinea were flying 950 mi (1,530 km), fighting for 15 minutes and returning to base.[90] Such long legs were invaluable until the P-47N and P-51D entered service.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Thank you, Sandy pilots.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
26-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Commercial pilot here, but have not flown for a few years now. Mostly light twin time, and did a stint for a few years as a banner tow pilot. It was as close to barnstorming as you can get, grappling things on the fly and dropping them, high performance maneuvers, modified STOL aircraft.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
26-12-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2015 06:26 PM by skyking.)
Dad's favorite plane was the F4-U. He was in the 4th Marines in the Pacific, and was very grateful of the close air support they provided.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
26-12-2015, 11:40 AM
I got my private pilot ticket in May of 1972 at the age of 32, but haven't put in any time flying since i got it, none at all. No excuse, just never did!
26-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I went through my "I'm gonna be a fighter pilot" phase as a kid. Took a couple fight lessons that I got as a birthday present, also quit long before getting my license, did my biographical book reports on pilots ranging from Chuck Yeager to Erich Hartmann, was fascinated with the various panes of the Luftwaffe, particularly the unusual ones like the 163.

During my time in the Navy doing crypto I flew in EP-3s and various helicopters from time to time. In the Army I'm a certified sling load inspector, meaning I monitor hookups and drop offs for loads attached to helicopter cargo hooks, meant for quick loading and unloading without actually having to land. The Vermont Air Guard is also supposed to be getting a bunch of F-35s, so I've taken an interest in that, as those will theoretically be the replacements for our beloved Warthogs.

As with almost any American ground pounder, there's a special place in my heart for close air support hot shots like the A-10 and the AC-130.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
27-12-2015, 12:38 AM
(26-12-2015 11:37 AM)skyking Wrote:  Dad's favorite plane was the F4-U. He was in the 4th Marines in the Pacific, and was very grateful of the close air support they provided.

Have you read Tom Blackburn's book, The Jolly Rogers? In it he speaks about the squadron nearly being relegated down to Hellcats and how worried the pilots were. After the Royal Navy managed to land on carriers with the F4U things improved.

[Image: d34c8409fda56d54a87494cc3d6678ce.jpg]

I may start with something odd, say, JV44, Galland's flying circus flying the 262. I have this book.

[Image: WRG_books_forsyth_creek_bently_jv44_the_..._cover.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post