The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 03:31 AM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
Trending on my earlier theme of "so ugly it's beautiful", I'd recommend building a model of the plane that turned the tide of the war in the Pacific, crippling the Japanese carriers at Midway, as well as wrecking many of the transports that the Japanese tried to send to support their forces on Guadalcanal. I present to you the Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber:

[Image: airplanes-sbd-dauntless-1920x1080-wallpaper.jpg]

Look at the dive brakes on this thing!

[Image: c5553bb47532397eb95d63c641479e91.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-06-2016, 04:04 AM
(26-06-2016 03:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Trending on my earlier theme of "so ugly it's beautiful", I'd recommend building a model of the plane that turned the tide of the war in the Pacific, crippling the Japanese carriers at Midway, as well as wrecking many of the transports that the Japanese tried to send to support their forces on Guadalcanal. I present to you the Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber:

Of note -- Swede Vejtasa shot down three Zeros in one day flying the Dauntless -- a day after he helped sink IJN Shoho.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-06-2016, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 04:14 AM by Banjo.)
(26-06-2016 04:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 03:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Trending on my earlier theme of "so ugly it's beautiful", I'd recommend building a model of the plane that turned the tide of the war in the Pacific, crippling the Japanese carriers at Midway, as well as wrecking many of the transports that the Japanese tried to send to support their forces on Guadalcanal. I present to you the Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber:

Of note -- Swede Vejtasa shot down three Zeros in one day flying the Dauntless -- a day after he helped sink IJN Shoho.

I believe he won the Medal of honor for that, then became a fighter pilot.

I always liked the Dauntless. I may have one. Found my P38 today. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-06-2016, 09:17 AM
I know you meant no disrespect, Banjo, but you should know that it is considered somewhat disrespectful to say that someone "won" a Medal of Honor.

It is "awarded" or "received". Just a military culture tidbit that would be good for all to remember. Carry on!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
26-06-2016, 09:23 AM
(26-06-2016 09:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I know you meant no disrespect, Banjo, but you should know that it is considered somewhat disrespectful to say that someone "won" a Medal of Honor.

It is "awarded" or "received". Just a military culture tidbit that would be good for all to remember. Carry on!

"Earned" is the usage I prefer. One MOH Marine lived in my home town. He taught me to shoot and got me ready for the Navy. (I hate the idea of walking to work.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
26-06-2016, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 08:41 PM by Banjo.)
(26-06-2016 09:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I know you meant no disrespect, Banjo, but you should know that it is considered somewhat disrespectful to say that someone "won" a Medal of Honor.

I live in a different culture mate. To win a Victoria cross you usually have to be dead. Big Grin

How's colour spelled? I consider this wrong. Color.

Also the phrase "I couldn't care less" is not "I could care less". Totally different meanings.

Apples and oranges. WTFC anyway?

Back to Aerial warfare. BTW, I found stacks of aerial warfare sites and joined. For example the RAF has the details of all aircraft listed lost during WWII. A modeller such as I can trace the serial # and see exactly what happened on what day.

The internet is incredible.

I actually found a photograph of the Corsair I am going to model. Check it out.

[Image: corsair-81-daly-23-sqn.jpg]

Pretty cool. Corsair #81 from 23 squadron RNZAF. If it turns out well I will make a base for it and perhaps get the details engraved on a little plaque.

If it turns to shit, I'll bin it! Big Grin

I read a great book years ago (which I still have.) First kill. By pilot of the Polish air force Wladek Gnys. He flew the PZL 11 and shot down the first Luftwaffe aircraft of WWII.

[Image: gnys.jpg]

[Image: $T2eC16VHJIgFHR2WJHHNBR5uJbW(Vg~~60_35.JPG]

I found an amazing model of this in my stash complete with resin and photo etch. As a small child of perhaps 7, I read a history of the Polish air force. Got the book at the library. Smile

Always loved this ugly duckling.

[Image: 290f1e27312211fa24f2b10021288358.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Actually the PZL 11 deserves better damned photos! It is such an historic aeroplane.

Forgive my double post please. Tongue

[Image: pzl11_02.jpg]

[Image: pzl_11_c_by_dokarola.jpg]

[Image: krakow-pzl-11.jpg?w=800]

Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
27-06-2016, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 12:59 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(26-06-2016 04:09 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 04:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Of note -- Swede Vejtasa shot down three Zeros in one day flying the Dauntless -- a day after he helped sink IJN Shoho.

I believe he won the Medal of honor for that, then became a fighter pilot.

I always liked the Dauntless. I may have one. Found my P38 today. Smile

He won two Navy Crosses, one for each action. And yes, he went on to become a decorated fighter pilot as well. Seems the USN didn't have the best talent-scouts, sending a guy like that into bombers. 19 kills, including ace-in-a-day at Santa Cruz -- 7 kills, which earnt him a third Navy Cross.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2016, 01:08 AM
(26-06-2016 08:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I read a great book years ago (which I still have.) First kill. By pilot of the Polish air force Wladek Gnys. He flew the PZL 11 and shot down the first Luftwaffe aircraft of WWII.

[Image: gnys.jpg]

[Image: $T2eC16VHJIgFHR2WJHHNBR5uJbW(Vg~~60_35.JPG]

I found an amazing model of this in my stash complete with resin and photo etch. As a small child of perhaps 7, I read a history of the Polish air force. Got the book at the library. Smile

Always loved this ugly duckling.

[Image: 290f1e27312211fa24f2b10021288358.jpg]

I can't remember his name, but back when I managed a custon-framing art shop, I had a guy come in one day with a large black-and-white photo of a squadron posed in front of a Spitfire. He hada detectable accent, and knowing what I know about that part of the war I struck up conversation about it while working the sale.

Turns out he had flown a PZ.11, had two kills in it, then on Poland's capitulation worked his way through the Balkans until he arrived in the UK in time for training and flew his first combat mission for the RAF just after Adlertag. His squadron transitioned from Hurris (an underrated plane, in my opinion) through Spits and then to Tempests (iirc). He ended up the war with eight kills.

Talking with him sent chills up my spine ... like I was kneeling at the seat of history.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2016, 03:06 AM
I saw a corsair flying at duxford airshow the other week, fantastic !
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post