The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 03:07 AM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
(27-06-2016 01:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I can't remember his name, but back when I managed a custon-framing art shop, I had a guy come in one day with a large black-and-white photo of a squadron posed in front of a Spitfire. He hada detectable accent, and knowing what I know about that part of the war I struck up conversation about it while working the sale.

Turns out he had flown a PZ.11, had two kills in it, then on Poland's capitulation worked his way through the Balkans until he arrived in the UK in time for training and flew his first combat mission for the RAF just after Adlertag. His squadron transitioned from Hurris (an underrated plane, in my opinion) through Spits and then to Tempests (iirc). He ended up the war with eight kills.

Talking with him sent chills up my spine ... like I was kneeling at the seat of history.

It is a small world.

I also like the Hurricane. It became a lethal aggressor in the western desert as a tank buster. Had 75% of Battle of Britain kills too.

I know of many Luftwaffe pilots shot down by Hurricanes who claimed it was a Spitfire that got them. Big Grin

Hurricane tank busters.

[Image: 4100e95f122e59530a12b963a0242228.jpg]

[Image: PJ7.jpg?resize=560%2C227]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-06-2016, 03:40 AM
Indeed. Almost as fast as a 109, could turn inside it, and although the .303 was somewhat light for the era, with eight of them, a Mk I could chew up a lot of aluminum.

And the IIc was a bad motor scooter ... where d'ya think the Germans got the idea for the Ju-87G from?

The Desert Air Force, of course.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Quote:Also the phrase "I couldn't care less" is not "I could care less". Totally different meanings.

"I could care less" is short for "There's no way I could care less." Save that for future reference.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 05:07 AM
(27-06-2016 04:32 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
Quote:Also the phrase "I couldn't care less" is not "I could care less". Totally different meanings.

"I could care less" is short for "There's no way I could care less." Save that for future reference.

Sure mate.

Here's an interesting documentary on the Horten flying wing.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
27-06-2016, 05:46 AM
(27-06-2016 05:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Sure mate.

You don't have conversational shorthand in whatever language it is that you speak?

Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-06-2016, 06:41 AM
(27-06-2016 05:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 05:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Sure mate.

You don't have conversational shorthand in whatever language it is that you speak?

Smartass

NormallyAustraliansjoinallwordstogetherinconversationsoItrytomakeiteasier. Smile

Banjo.
27-06-2016, 06:52 AM
(27-06-2016 06:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 05:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You don't have conversational shorthand in whatever language it is that you speak?

Smartass

NormallyAustraliansjoinallwordstogetherinconversationsoItrytomakeiteasier. Smile
Been to Fremantle (and its suburb, Perth) a few times. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-06-2016, 06:56 AM
(27-06-2016 06:52 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 06:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  NormallyAustraliansjoinallwordstogetherinconversationsoItrytomakeiteasier. Smile
Been to Fremantle (and its suburb, Perth) a few times. Thumbsup

Oh well then you know. Big Grin

Back to aerial warfare.

I always loved the Storch. Winston Churchill used a captured one, painted yellow, when visiting the armies on the western desert. I need the serial #! I rang the RAF war museum and they did not know!!!!! Consider

Banjo.
27-06-2016, 07:01 AM
(27-06-2016 04:32 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  

I rather doubt that; it sounds more like an ex post facto justification. Do you have a citation?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-06-2016, 07:16 AM
(27-06-2016 07:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 04:32 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "I could care less" is short for "There's no way I could care less." Save that for future reference.

I rather doubt that; it sounds more like an ex post facto justification. Do you have a citation?

I'm not worried about it enough to dig. Drinking Beverage