The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
(28-06-2016 02:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And just for Banjo, a guy in a P-51 taking out an FW-190, using the new version of the VIVE display (similar to the Oculus) which lets you realistically look around "head on a swivel", like real fighter pilots do. The experience is supposed to be breathtaking.

Looks really nice. how about online community?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
29-06-2016, 08:52 PM
(28-06-2016 03:28 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 02:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And just for Banjo, a guy in a P-51 taking out an FW-190, using the new version of the VIVE display (similar to the Oculus) which lets you realistically look around "head on a swivel", like real fighter pilots do. The experience is supposed to be breathtaking.

Looks really nice. how about online community?

Game's homepage:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Forums:
http://forums.eagle.ru/?langid=1

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-06-2016, 12:43 AM
Although it should be on the modeling thread, I've decided on an easy F4U corsair in RNZAF colours, and then a USN A-1H Skyraider in the colours of the uppermost A/C.

[Image: EagleStrike_48108_Product.jpg]

I went through my stash, I have F 15's, Su 27's, MIG 29's etc etc.

Am trying to locate a photograph of this particular A/C. I bought a highly detailed resin cockpit for it as well.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-06-2016, 12:32 PM
(28-06-2016 11:44 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I just want to introduce all you aviation fans to what I think is the best aviation simulator available, the Digital Combat Simulator, or DCS for short. It is entirely fan-created, and 100% realistically models the flight characteristics and cockpit interfaces of each aircraft, from WW2-era BF109s (etc) to Korean War jets to 80s-era jet fighters (truly modern 5th-generation fighters are not modeled in the game because they are still classified in too many respects to enable the team to add them).

The game has gone from its original 1.0 version through 1.5 to the recently-released 2.0, which is still being developed, but which shows significantly improved graphics. The first two videos are from the original version, and the last is a demonstration of the amazing new visuals.

This is my favorite dogfight I've yet seen. It's from version 1.5, which has slightly improved graphics over the original. Combat action starts at the 9-minute mark:

This is my favorite ground-attack mission, from early on in the game, so poorer graphics. It shows two A-10s defending a column of Humvees from a mechanized Company of Taliban soldiers. I especially enjoy the strafing runs:

And finally, the high-graphics, recent update. It shows both an Su-25 Frogfoot (Russian equivalent of the A-10) getting shot down by antiaircraft guns, as well as showing some of the ground forces, which can also be played in-game:

Where can it be had?

I want a good WWI sim, too. Looking at RoF.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-06-2016, 02:20 PM
The Skyraider deserves special attention-- perhaps some flak damage and soot from exploding 57mm AAA shells. Magnificent aircraft, the A-10 of its day (or rather, the A-10 is the Skyraider-Jetpoweredversion2.0)

Thump - I think 1.5 is available for download, but 2.0 is still considered "under development", so I suspect you'd have to join the forums and become a member in order to get that one.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en...ld/stable/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-06-2016, 02:26 PM
(30-06-2016 12:43 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Although it should be on the modeling thread, I've decided on an easy F4U corsair in RNZAF colours, and then a USN A-1H Skyraider in the colours of the uppermost A/C.

[Image: EagleStrike_48108_Product.jpg]

I went through my stash, I have F 15's, Su 27's, MIG 29's etc etc.

Am trying to locate a photograph of this particular A/C. I bought a highly detailed resin cockpit for it as well.

skyraider was quite the aircraft. It stretched from WWII to Viet Nam, where it shot down a MIG in two encounters.
One of my pilot friends up in Renton flew the Skyraider in Korea. he had a cigar box with some pieces in it, and a tale to tell.
In the hardest winter up there, the ground became frozen solid. On a low bombing run with the wing mounted 250 pound bombs, A piece of his own bomb hit his plane and jerked the control stick in his hands.
He and his wingman went back to the carrier, and on the way he noticed the center fuel tank was running down more rapidly than normal. He made the carrier OK.
Later the maintenance chief on his plane told him out for all the work he had caused.
A segment of the casting of the tail ring of the bomb, with some lettering cast into it, had ripped through the belly, glanced off the push-pull rod to the elevator and picked the head of a rivet up there, continuing on to lodge in the self-sealing center tank. Only the piece was half in and half out so the fuel leaked out quite readily.
The pieces on the box were a chunk of the tube with the rivet head sheared off, and that casting with the rivet head fused into it.
The tube had corresponding scrape marks and you could slide the shrapnel over the tube and match them up. To say that it "missed by that much" would be quite accurate!
He had a few other choice tales and I will recount them on request.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
30-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Yeah, do go on!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-06-2016, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2016 04:50 PM by Banjo.)
(30-06-2016 03:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, do go on!

It'll be a big one. In 1:48th scale the wingspan is over 12".

Lots of good documentaries on the Skyraider.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
30-06-2016, 04:28 PM
(30-06-2016 03:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, do go on!

Yep. Encore! Encore!

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-06-2016, 05:42 PM
<bows and clears throat A-Hem!>
Once they figured out the frozen ground equals frags back at you, they released just a wee bit higher. Too high was bad; everybody with a big gun in line of sight was shooting at you and low was far better.
Once the bombs were gone they would strafe most of the ammo out. One of the rules was, never go back! EVER!
One of his squadron mates got his plane so shot up they scrapped it after it got back to the carrier, because he went back. The NK troops were waiting for him with everything that will fire a projectile pointed the proper direction, and the armor was all that saved him.
This same rule applies when you are making a low pass over somebody's house, etc. Go back and somebody will get the rest of your tail number and call it in to the friendly FAA Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post