The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 12:28 AM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
(30-06-2016 04:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 03:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, do go on!

It'll be a big one. In 1:48th scale the wingspan is over 12".

Lots of good documentaries on the Skyraider.

Allright then, i will make some pics, especially to help Banjos reconvalescence.
Oldtimer Hahnweide

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
01-07-2016, 01:16 AM
(30-06-2016 05:42 PM)skyking Wrote:  <bows and clears throat A-Hem!>
Once they figured out the frozen ground equals frags back at you, they released just a wee bit higher. Too high was bad; everybody with a big gun in line of sight was shooting at you and low was far better.
Once the bombs were gone they would strafe most of the ammo out. One of the rules was, never go back! EVER!
One of his squadron mates got his plane so shot up they scrapped it after it got back to the carrier, because he went back. The NK troops were waiting for him with everything that will fire a projectile pointed the proper direction, and the armor was all that saved him.
This same rule applies when you are making a low pass over somebody's house, etc. Go back and somebody will get the rest of your tail number and call it in to the friendly FAA Big Grin

Well, yeah. Two passes gives the enemy one practice round.
01-07-2016, 03:36 AM
I fell in love wit both the Skyraider and the Grumman Panther when I saw he film, The bridges at Toko-ri as a small boy. I now own a copy on DVD.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
01-07-2016, 08:11 AM
(01-07-2016 03:36 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I fell in love wit both the Skyraider and the Grumman Panther when I saw he film, The bridges at Toko-ri as a small boy. I now own a copy on DVD.

Dad was in Marine aviation, and I spent time as a kid at MCAS Beaufort, Cherry Point and NAS Jacksonville. During an air show one summer at one of those places they had a fully loaded out Sky Raider and IT WAS AWESOME! Those things could carry a huge amount of ordinance. I'd like to say I got to see one dropping live ordinance at a airshow once, but I'm pretty sure it was an A-4 Sky Hawk drooping live bombs across the air strip from the spectator stands that long ago summer afternoon.

On an another note there is a VA-75 Sunday Punchers Alumni group with 600 plus members on Facebook. It's a closed group, but if you could contact some of the members you might find someone with some photographs that would help with the livery for your model. Better hurry though. Dad was only 17 when he fought in Korea and he is 83 now. There probably aren't many guys still around from the Sky Raider days.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
I know. I thought about Tom last night, and realized if he is still around he's 85~87 by my guesstimate. I have to make some calls and see.
01-07-2016, 10:17 AM
(01-07-2016 08:11 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 03:36 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I fell in love wit both the Skyraider and the Grumman Panther when I saw he film, The bridges at Toko-ri as a small boy. I now own a copy on DVD.

Dad was in Marine aviation, and I spent time as a kid at MCAS Beaufort, Cherry Point and NAS Jacksonville. During an air show one summer at one of those places they had a fully loaded out Sky Raider and IT WAS AWESOME! Those things could carry a huge amount of ordinance. I'd like to say I got to see one dropping live ordinance at a airshow once, but I'm pretty sure it was an A-4 Sky Hawk drooping live bombs across the air strip from the spectator stands that long ago summer afternoon.

On an another note there is a VA-75 Sunday Punchers Alumni group with 600 plus members on Facebook. It's a closed group, but if you could contact some of the members you might find someone with some photographs that would help with the livery for your model. Better hurry though. Dad was only 17 when he fought in Korea and he is 83 now. There probably aren't many guys still around from the Sky Raider days.

Ordinance:
[Image: carousel_image_3aa079b07475b06f6a00_Unknown-1.jpeg]

Ordnance:
[Image: image052.jpg]

Yes

Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Seeing as there are many fans of the P 38 here, I went in search of colour material. I found this. It begins slowly but leads to gun camera footage showing the results of having the armament grouped together. I hope you enjoy it.

I'd also like to add an aeroplane that I have loved since childhood. The Avro Lancaster. I found a great little documentary on the Dambuster raid if anyone is interested.

[Image: Lancaster55.jpg]

[Image: Avro_Lancaster7,flygplanet.jpg]

[Image: pa474-royal-air-force-avro-lancaster-pr1...141727.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
07-07-2016, 12:30 AM
(01-07-2016 08:11 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  On an another note there is a VA-75 Sunday Punchers Alumni group with 600 plus members on Facebook. It's a closed group, but if you could contact some of the members you might find someone with some photographs that would help with the livery for your model. Better hurry though. Dad was only 17 when he fought in Korea and he is 83 now. There probably aren't many guys still around from the Sky Raider days.

I sent a request. Thanks for the information. I really want to do a good job on that aeroplane. It will depend on the job I first do, the F4U Corsair.

If all goes according to plan, I will then do Neville Duke's Spitfire Mk Vb tropical Spitfire, when he was based at Malta. I found two photos. Both damned close ups.

[Image: c48d9c399c62c830477bec4309908c07.jpg]

[Image: 7042604.jpg?1364567237]

Banjo.
07-07-2016, 02:55 AM
That hair!

Seriously, the guys in Malta did yeoman's work, flying outdated crates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Far_Fighter_Flight
07-07-2016, 03:13 PM
(07-07-2016 12:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I'd also like to add an aeroplane that I have loved since childhood. The Avro Lancaster. I found a great little documentary on the Dambuster raid if anyone is interested.

My father was a Flying Officer in the RCAF and flew as bombardier on Lancasters, then on B-24 Liberators.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post