The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2016, 09:52 PM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
(12-07-2016 09:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Don't forget The Battle of the Heligoland Bight. The Wellington wasn't that strong. They had losses of 50% that day. Also weakly armed with only .303 guns front and back.
It lasted longer than the Blenheim though.

Indeed. But the bombers shrugged off AAA fire, and fell to fighters, to which they proved extremely vulnerable, due to their lack of gun-arc coverage and lack of self-sealing fuel tanks, meaning that when the fighters hit them they tended to burn. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Speaking of ugly planes, one can't help but be reminded of the Fairey Barracuda.

[Image: latest?cb=20131122000505]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-07-2016, 03:25 AM
One of the most fascinating documentaries of a pilot I have ever seen. Eric "Winkle" Brown.
Brown holds the world record for carrier landings (over 2,500 during WWII alone), has flown 487 (A world record) aircraft types, was the first man to land and take off a carrier in a jet and became possibly the greatest British pilot. He claims the Me262 was by far the most formidable aircraft type of WWII.

Please enjoy this astounding story.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-07-2016, 04:11 AM
(12-07-2016 10:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Speaking of ugly planes, one can't help but be reminded of the Fairey Barracuda.

[Image: latest?cb=20131122000505]

beauty is sometime to be found in function

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
20-07-2016, 04:25 AM
One of my cousins joined the Canadian Air Force in fact he would have been sent to the expedition to Syria but he had an accident before being shipped out

Him joining was a bit of controversy as traditionally most of my relatives go into the Army five generations in fact . all i had to do was join a quire and the scouts don't think id make very good soldier lol

20-07-2016, 04:29 AM
(13-02-2016 04:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It is the 80th anniversary of the Supermarine Spitfire.

80th.

The most gorgeous aircraft ever IMHO.

[Image: spitfire.jpg]

I love the spitfire such a regal craft

20-07-2016, 04:34 AM
(27-06-2016 05:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 04:32 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "I could care less" is short for "There's no way I could care less." Save that for future reference.

Sure mate.

Here's an interesting documentary on the Horten flying wing.

The nazi's were evil bastards but ideology aside they could conjure up some impressive engineering

20-07-2016, 04:49 AM
(20-07-2016 04:34 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 05:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Sure mate.

Here's an interesting documentary on the Horten flying wing.
The nazi's were evil bastards but ideology aside they could conjure up some impressive engineering

Id rather refer to this as "german engineering" or whatever. Nazi is a political affiliation and has nothing to do with engineering i think. You wouldnt say "republican engineering" or "liberal engineering" as well. I know we have been fed phrases like "nazi uboats" and "nazi troops" ever since but i really think this is somehow loaded language.

Now you can call me a tone nazi Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
20-07-2016, 03:59 PM
(20-07-2016 04:49 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 04:34 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  The nazi's were evil bastards but ideology aside they could conjure up some impressive engineering

Id rather refer to this as "german engineering" or whatever. Nazi is a political affiliation and has nothing to do with engineering i think. You wouldnt say "republican engineering" or "liberal engineering" as well. I know we have been fed phrases like "nazi uboats" and "nazi troops" ever since but i really think this is somehow loaded language.

Now you can call me a tone nazi Tongue

No you make a good point

[+] 2 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
20-07-2016, 08:01 PM
A potential replacement for our Blackhawks. If they go with it, I'll be 50 by the time we actually get them Sad I suppose it's possible I could still be a scout in 2030, but for now I guess I'll just have to be content with the Blackhawks. I swear they're gonna come out with all the futuristic shit like the day after I retire. Not that this is super high tech in the sense that most people would think, but it still looks fun.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military...placement/

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post