The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2015, 07:54 AM
RE: The aeiral warfare thread.
My Fathers oldest brother had an F-105 shot out from under him, and later flew the F4-g's. He was also a personal friend of Robin Olds..if anyone knows who that is.

Great Uncle on my Mothers side Flew JN-4's 1918 thru 1922....though he was not a combat pilot

I served in the USAF in the mid 1970's

The airframe i'm most fond of is the P-40 in all its variants. Followed closely by the USN's flying bricks..F4B Phantom of the VF-111 "sun downers"

Oh and I like the old Spruce and Linen doped "string-bags"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like John Silver's post
12-02-2016, 07:21 AM
My favourite aircraft are the hawker hunter and the Westland whirlwind and the Saab draken
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-02-2016, 07:32 AM
(12-02-2016 07:21 AM)adey67 Wrote:  My favourite aircraft are the hawker hunter and the Westland whirlwind and the Saab draken

The Hunter was gorgeous.

I will get to this thread properly in time. I've been watching warbird videos on YouTube. Smile

These days I really like the new Russian jets. Such as the PAK 50.

[Image: Sukhoi_T-50_in_2011_(4).jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
12-02-2016, 07:38 AM
F18 rolled overhead yesterday afternoon as I passed Lambert Field. Still a sexy plane. I used to cruise out to Imperial, California, and watch the skies when "This air space is closed to all unauthorized traffic!" and the bird dog planes would show some weekend pilot in a Piper the exit. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
12-02-2016, 07:42 AM
(12-02-2016 07:38 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  F18 rolled overhead yesterday afternoon as I passed Lambert Field. Still a sexy plane. I used to cruise out to Imperial, California, and watch the skies when "This air space is closed to all unauthorized traffic!" and the bird dog planes would show some weekend pilot in a Piper the exit. Facepalm

Sure is. We have those in the RAAF.

[Image: raaf-f-a-18-hornet-a21-3_pics36-3630.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-02-2016, 07:50 AM
The MIG 41 looks like it'll be astounding as well.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-02-2016, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 09:27 AM by yakherder.)
I've also taken an interest in some of the turboprop innovations, like the Super Tucano. As cool as all the new stealth tech coming out is, to be honest if I were a pilot I'd rather be in something like this.

[Image: A-29-Super-Tucano-brazil.jpg]

At first glance someone might take it for a WWII relic. But beyond the simplicity of it's base design, it incorporates newer technology beneath the surface.

Low heat signature, advanced computerized navigation and weapons guidance systems, night optic compatible cockpit, comparatively cheap to operate and maintain, and much more maneuverable than it's jet engine based counterparts, which makes it a natural at close air support (assuming the enemy doesn't have any fighters in the area that might give it some trouble). I'd take a career cruising around in one of these over the problems associated with repeated exposure to extreme levels of g-force Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-02-2016, 09:22 AM
(12-02-2016 07:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The MIG 41 looks like it'll be astounding as well.

Sexy and scary as it proves that the arms race between the USA and Russia ain't over, in fact I think we could be on the verge of a second cold war.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-02-2016, 11:04 AM
One grandfather was a navigator in an Eighth AF B-17 in WWII, killed in 1943. The other was the foreman of the paint shop in North American's Dallas plant, painting P-51s and contract-built Convair B-24s.

I enlisted in the USAF in 1989 -- I actually volunteered to be a B-52 tail gunner, but the Air Force thought I was dumb enough to run into burning buildings ... turns out they were right. I was stationed at Carswell AFB, a SAC base hosting the 7th Bomb Wing (B-52H, KC-135A, AT-37), and the Reserve 301 TFW (F-4Es, and later, F-16As).

My favorite era of flight ended with the Jet Age. I love the exploratory/racing/dogfighting era, from Richthofen and Alcock & Brown to Jimmy Doolittle and Gabby Gabreski.

My favorite birds --

Albatros DIII:
[Image: Albatd3.jpg]

Supermarine S6B:
[Image: tumblr_nrvlr34hYA1uryk28o5_500.jpg]

B-17G:
[Image: b17g.jpg]

F4U Corsair:
[Image: f4u-7.gif]

A-10 Warthog:
[Image: tqsb8lctdqsx744n3sdg.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-02-2016, 06:10 PM
(12-02-2016 09:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The MIG 41 looks like it'll be astounding as well.

Sexy and scary as it proves that the arms race between the USA and Russia ain't over, in fact I think we could be on the verge of a second cold war.

Perhaps one interesting difference is that right now more of our military, at least at the lower levels, is more supportive of Putin than of our own leaders.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post