The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 05:44 AM
RE: The aeiral warfare thread.
(12-02-2016 08:34 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Perhaps one interesting difference is that right now more of our military, at least at the lower levels, is more supportive of Putin than of our own leaders.

That's because they want to do more than just training. Garrison duty is a bitch, with officers looking for the least bit of tarnish on a button, as opposed to wartime, when capability is held to highest regard, and buttons are a dim fourth.

In 1939, Dwight David Eisenhower was a lieutenant colonel. By Feb., 1943, he was a four-star general.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Interesting that Saburo Sakai claimed Hiroyoshi Nishizawa had over 200 kills. Wtth the superiority of the Zero, it is not hard to imagine.

[Image: Nishizawa_UI105_7may1943.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 06:54 AM
(13-02-2016 06:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Interesting that Saburo Sakai claimed Hiroyoshi Nishizawa had over 200 kills. Wtth the superiority of the Zero, it is not hard to imagine.

That was one agile aircraft to be sure, if its armament had been heaver I think things would have been even worse for the allies.
13-02-2016, 07:01 AM
(13-02-2016 06:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 06:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Interesting that Saburo Sakai claimed Hiroyoshi Nishizawa had over 200 kills. Wtth the superiority of the Zero, it is not hard to imagine.

That was one agile aircraft to be sure, if its armament had been heaver I think things would have been even worse for the allies.

The reason it was agile is it was light.

If you started adding armor, guns and ammo - it would have lost it's only advantage.

Besides -- once the P-38 got to about the J variant - it was completely outclassed with two pilots of equal skill.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Armour / self sealing fuel tanks etc would have cost the zero dearly in agility and range but a slightly heaver armament could have been do-able without sacrificing too much in the way of performance Imo
13-02-2016, 10:08 AM
(13-02-2016 05:39 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I stopped at a store one day, small town in Indiana. I heard a prop plane overhead and looked up to see a ZERO! I was a bit stunned, but then I looked behind it and saw a P-51! My flabber was well and truly gasted and I screamed "To the airport!!!" The Confederate Air Force was stopping for gas and we got to do some walk-arounds. Thumbsup

For a long time I lived about ten miles from their base at Camarillo, California. Every so often you'd hear the distinctive P&W or Wright throb, and there'd go a Hellcat or a B-25. My son and I would hit their fly-ins every years.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-02-2016, 10:38 AM
(13-02-2016 10:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 05:39 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I stopped at a store one day, small town in Indiana. I heard a prop plane overhead and looked up to see a ZERO! I was a bit stunned, but then I looked behind it and saw a P-51! My flabber was well and truly gasted and I screamed "To the airport!!!" The Confederate Air Force was stopping for gas and we got to do some walk-arounds. Thumbsup

For a long time I lived about ten miles from their base at Camarillo, California. Every so often you'd hear the distinctive P&W or Wright throb, and there'd go a Hellcat or a B-25. My son and I would hit their fly-ins every years.

:envy:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2016, 02:43 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
26-02-2016, 02:56 AM
(13-02-2016 07:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 06:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That was one agile aircraft to be sure, if its armament had been heaver I think things would have been even worse for the allies.

The reason it was agile is it was light.

If you started adding armor, guns and ammo - it would have lost it's only advantage.

Besides -- once the P-38 got to about the J variant - it was completely outclassed with two pilots of equal skill.....

Agreed. Another advantage was that the Japanese fighter pilots were the most well trained on earth. According to Saburo, a pilot had to have 800 hours under their belt before being assigned to a squadron. This advantage was lost at Midway when they lost so many of these pilots. Survivors were ordered never to discuss this battle. The loss remained a secret for a long time.

Another advantage was that the navy pilots learned to increase the range of the zero. A very good pilot could get a range of 800 miles. Very unusual for 1942. Again my source for this is SaburĊ Sakai.

Of course pilot skill deteriorated as the war went on. Just as it did for the Luftwaffe. There was no time anymore for the 800 hours in training. By the time the Hellcat and Corsair entered, the opposition was far less experienced.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Interesting oral history.

(Mod's. Can you move this thread to the history forum? Thanks.)

Banjo.