The aerial warfare thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2016, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 03:45 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: The aeiral warfare thread.
(01-05-2016 08:12 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No good discussion of air to mud birds can happen without mention of this bird.

[Image: hagaaeebdrvmx8or74ou.jpg]

Designed based on experiences in Vietnam which demanded a dedicated anti tank / close air support aircraft, it is the most capable attack aircraft of all time; the philosophy of firepower, simplicity, and survivabiliy produced an armored, flying gun. A slow sled with 8 tonnes of bombs, missiles, and 1300 rounds of depleted uranium 30mm cannon ammunition, it can loiter over FLOT lines indefinitely with tanker support and is utterly devastating against tank columns and dug in defenders, pillboxes, etc. Every general and bureaucrat who managed it hated it, but every pilot who flew it and every soldier or Marine under its protection loved it. The distinctive whistle of its turbofan engines are known to make Taliban and ISIL units flee from the fight. Long live the mighty A-10 Warthog!

Back during Desert Storm, we had a wing of these stop in at my base for refueling while they were on their way to the Sandbox (I was at Moron AB, Spain, with the 801st Provisional BW). As a firefighter, we did a/c familiarization on all types passing through, so we went out and poked over the thing.

That goddamned gun had to be twenty foot long, and the fuselage largely taken up by a roller-coaster ammunition feed. And watching them take off, it was easy to see they could turn on a dime.

Magnificent airplane, and the last USAF air-to-air gunnery kill belongs to it, so far as I know.

(02-05-2016 08:18 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 05:20 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  They're going to have an A-10/F-35 shoot-out, to see if the F-35 really does replace the Warthog. It will be fun to observe.

I wish I could say it would be a fair competition, but my money is on some staged bullshit which bears no resemblance to real warfare. Something like an F-35 can drop JDAMs, an A-10 can't; therefore an F-35 is better. I want to see an F-35 down in the weeds, take a direct hit from an ZSU-23 and still keep flying. And also operate at $18000 per flight hour with a 95% mission readiness like an A-10 can from a dirt strip, flying round the clock, stopping only to refuel, rearm and for major maintenance. Then I might consider an F-35 worthy to replace the Warthog.

One landed in Dharahn in 1991 with a wing blown off outboard the main-gear sponson. It had flown well over a hundred miles in that condition to bring its pilot home safely.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-06-2016, 05:11 AM
The Russians have a similar aircraft to the A 10. The Su 25. It is as hardy as the A 10, with a similar cockpit bath armoured to protect the pilot. It can survive enormous combat damage. Like this.

[Image: su_25_damage_by_wolfenkrieger-d477uk8.jpg]

I love how it looks too. I have a desire to build a really good model of one. Smile

[Image: Vozduhoplovnisili2.jpg]

[Image: Screen_140113_184908_web.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-06-2016, 05:28 AM
(25-06-2016 05:11 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Russians have a similar aircraft to the A 10. The Su 25. It is as hardy as the A 10, with a similar cockpit bath armoured to protect the pilot. It can survive enormous combat damage. Like this.

I love how it looks too. I have a desire to build a really good model of one. Smile

Yabut:
SU-25:
Guns: 1 × GSh-30-2 30mm cannon with 250 rounds
Hardpoints: 11 with a capacity of 4,000 kg (8,800 lb)

A-10:
Guns: 1× 30 mm (1.18 in) GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling cannon with 1,174 rounds (Capacity 1,350)
Hardpoints: 11 (8× under-wing and 3× under-fuselage pylon stations) with a capacity of 16,000 lb (7,260 kg)

Winner: A-10

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2016, 05:38 AM
(25-06-2016 05:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 05:11 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Russians have a similar aircraft to the A 10. The Su 25. It is as hardy as the A 10, with a similar cockpit bath armoured to protect the pilot. It can survive enormous combat damage. Like this.

Yabut:
SU-25:

A-10:
Guns: 1× 30 mm (1.18 in) GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling cannon with 1,174 rounds (Capacity 1,350)
Hardpoints: 11 (8× under-wing and 3× under-fuselage pylon stations) with a capacity of 16,000 lb (7,260 kg)

I think this is a little silly. It was widely thought by Luftwaffe fighter pilots, including Adolf Galland, that the Me109F was the best variant of that aircraft. It had 2 machine guns and one cannon. Compared to later marks this was very light.

As long as the job is done, that is all that matters.

Both the A 10 and Su 25 have fought well in wars that were lost by their respective combatants. Just like the 109 F. Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
25-06-2016, 05:42 AM
(25-06-2016 05:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 05:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut:
SU-25:

A-10:

I think this is a little silly. It was widely thought by Luftwaffe fighter pilots, including Adolf Galland, that the Me109F was the best variant of that aircraft. It had 2 machine guns and one cannon. Compared to later marks this was very light.

As long as the job is done, that is all that matters.

Both the A 10 and Su 25 have fought well in wars that were lost by their respective combatants. Just like the 109 F. Tongue

The capacity to inflict significantly more damage is hardly 'silly'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
25-06-2016, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 05:58 AM by Banjo.)
(25-06-2016 05:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  The capacity to inflict significantly more damage is hardly 'silly'.

The latest version. The Su 34.

[Image: 293030.jpg]

[Image: su34_fullback.jpg]

[Image: NAPO-Su-34-Dumb-Bomb-Drop-1S.jpg]

Banjo.
25-06-2016, 06:08 AM
RE: The aerial warfare thread.
How easy is it to "check six" in that bird? Consider
25-06-2016, 06:14 AM
(25-06-2016 06:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How easy is it to "check six" in that bird? Consider

It has good radar of course being a modern aircraft.

My thoughts are not Russia vs America. I also like French aircraft. Australia flew the Mirage III for years. I like how they look.

I also respect the differences in various ideas behind designs. The Russians do not design aircraft like America. For example they leave rubbish on their airfields and design aircraft to handle this. The late Jeff Ethell made a comment on this on a documentary. The Mig 29, for example, shut it's air intakes and had smaller one on top of the wing root. Whereas the Americans keep their airfields clean.

I also like the A 10. Awesome aircraft. I'd rather build an Su 25 though. I like its look better.

Banjo.
25-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Beautiful aircraft, I agree. Much cleaner lines than the old Intruder.

I would still like to use the Mk. 1 Mod. 1* swivel-mounted eyeball to check six.

*I'm actually on Mod. 2 myself. "Software" upgrade. Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
25-06-2016, 06:37 AM
I had the great pleasure of being a guest at Point cook airfield and getting to crawl all over their aircraft in the museum and take photos.

During the dark days of the Japanese rampage through the Pacific, Australia designed and built a fighter in 3 months. The CAC Boomerang. As it turned out it was a better ground attack aircraft. It also had the misfortune of being targeted by pilots of the USAAF who delighted in shooting it down. Sad

I have a limited edition model in my stash. I will be modelling again soon. (Last night while out of my scone, I paid $400.00 for a top quality airbrush!)

I crawled over the Boomerang at Point cook. Then witnessed an air display by a RAAF P51. Great day.

[Image: cac-boomerang.jpg]

[Image: boomer_bank.jpg]

Banjo.