The amazing conclusion of Hawking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
RE: The amazing conclusion of Hawking
"Piggy steaks" is a pretty good translation, but I think the phrase you're looking for is "pork chops".

EDIT: English has some weird vocabulary...

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:"Piggy steaks" is a pretty good translation, but I think the phrase you're looking for is "pork chops".
I knew about the 'pork', I just like to say piggy, but I didnt know about the 'chops' (chops refer to chopping?).
Also, saying ''a hour'' sounds kinda odd, but isnt it the right article, even though ''an hour'' would sound better and would be alot easier to pronounce.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
(03-09-2010 01:50 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:"Piggy steaks" is a pretty good translation, but I think the phrase you're looking for is "pork chops".
I knew about the 'pork', I just like to say piggy, but I didnt know about the 'chops' (chops refer to chopping?).

No idea. Like I said, English uses weird words.

Quote:Also, saying ''a hour'' sounds kinda odd, but isnt it the right article, even though ''an hour'' would sound better and would be alot easier to pronounce.

Nope, it's "an hour". If the word starts with a vowel sound, you use "an", no matter what the actual first letter is. The "h" in "hour" is silent, so it starts with a vowel sound, and you use "an".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Kikko.
You mentioned in this thread of your dad being drunk on two occassions. I don't know if he would be an alcoholic or not, but the two posts reminded me of a friend I had who was an alcoholic. My friend (Frank) and I had many long talks and it became clear that his catholic up-bringing had a lot to do with his alcoholism. Frank seemed to oscillate back and foth between atheism and wondering if there realy was a god. What I found hard about knowing Frank was that he was aware of every technique to get back on the wagon(stop drinking) which he fell off of during a stressful period(started drinking again). He knew them all and had been through most of them and they had worked for him in the past, but trying to get him back on the wagon through reason and logic was useless. I am glad Frank wasn't my father or brother because he would have driven me nuts, I think. I know that what you are going through with your dad must be hard enough if he isn't an alcholic, but if he is I can understand, to a certain extent, what you are going through.
05-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Kikko, it sounds like your Dad is trying to reinforce his beliefs to himself.
09-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Is anyone going to pick this book up?
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Book?

Accept me or go to hell.
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Yeah, the statement is quoted from his new book Grand Design. It is being printed today. I'm hoping to pick it up.
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
(09-09-2010 10:49 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Yeah, the statement is quoted from his new book Grand Design. It is being printed today. I'm hoping to pick it up.

Ḿe too, right after it's translated. I just hope it does'nt take as long as the translation of ''the selfish gene'', which took about 17 years.Sad

Accept me or go to hell.
21-09-2010, 10:27 PM

I have been enjoying the teeth gnashing over Hawking's book. Most religious responses are that it's just not sensible that "something can come from nothing", a "designer" must be present. One went as far as to say;

"It's really all too funny, as things tend to get when certain people -- over and over without pause -- do the same stupid things. Such as instruct the whole of human history to get off this God thing and start believing in spontaneous creation. I can see it all now, can't you? -- The Church of Spontaneous Creation; services whenever you're feeling spontaneous; come feel the creative power surge through your veins; learn to laugh at fools and frauds and idiots stupid enough to disagree with the doctrine of "It All Just Happened."

They didn't like my response;

"The Church of Spontaneous Creation" already exists as the basis for all Abrahamic religions. Believers only look as far as God, but not beyond. Most people angry about Hawking's assertion that "something can come from nothing" laugh and say "how can something come from nothing" as proof that God must exists as the "creator". But when questioned "who then created God" simply shrug aside the question with "he has always existed", which, to me, implies that God too therefore spontaneousnessly came from nothing. This would seem to negate the need for God since if he did come from nothing then Hawking's assertion is backed up as the believers have proven that nothing did indeed create everything.

Cheers!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Amazing in Texas Dangerous Thinker 4 763 17-10-2011 03:58 PM
Last Post: daemonowner