The argument ad islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 04:42 PM
The argument ad islam
I've developed a new favourite of just repeating what christian apologists say and put allah there instead of God, does this one tend to actually work or just piss people off in your experience? I'm not sure it's overly productive.

"A witty quote means nothing"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tear151's post
17-12-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: The argument ad islam
(17-12-2014 04:42 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I've developed a new favourite of just repeating what christian apologists say and put allah there instead of God, does this one tend to actually work or just piss people off in your experience? I'm not sure it's overly productive.

Given the trinity it might piss them off x 3.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
17-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Done it usually with more than Allah, but Odin, Zeus, etc. plenty. It seems oblivious to many people I've run across.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-12-2014, 04:57 PM
I used to use Odin, but people actually believe in Allah so they can't say "don't be silly, no one believes that anymore!"

"A witty quote means nothing"
17-12-2014, 05:13 PM
(17-12-2014 04:57 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I used to use Odin, but people actually believe in Allah so they can't say "don't be silly, no one believes that anymore!"
Try Mazda; they'll think your'e talking about a car.......
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
17-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Vishnu!
17-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Amaterasu and Baron Samedi are my two but really, I think this argument while necessary to help drive a point, it is utterly useless to use in the end. I think we should think of better ways to get that point across without it. Really, when they hear us substitute those other gods for theirs, in their mind they are thinking something along the lines of, Oh well my god does exist and it is proven and probably recite psalm 41:1 in their head while hearing the names of these other deities. So they really could care less because they are right and you are wrong and their god exists blah blah blah. Therefor, the argument to most of these people where we point out all these other gods people worship or used too is just as completely pointless as trying to tell them why not just be an atheist and give that a chance (opposite to what they say to us about Christianity).

So really, The argument of why don't you just pray to X god or how come you don't believe in X is pointless as it is just giving them back their own "just believe in Christ and you will believe in him" crap they try and feed us. While it is true that right now it is necessary for specific points to be made. I still feel that we might be able to discover a newer better way of bringing about it instead of the Argument ad X deity.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
17-12-2014, 09:45 PM
I do use Allah, but most of the times Anubis, Amaterasu, Zeus, Thor, etc.

And of course, this guy too. (especially when I'm arguing with my parents)

[Image: dangun_postcard.jpg]
18-12-2014, 06:59 AM
(17-12-2014 04:42 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I've developed a new favourite of just repeating what christian apologists say and put allah there instead of God, does this one tend to actually work or just piss people off in your experience? I'm not sure it's overly productive.

It works for some things and not others. If you basically draw a Venn diagram of where YHWH and Allah intersect, it will work in those cases.

That being said, I know no shortage of Christians who believe they can prove the historical accuracy of the Bible and the historical inaccuracy of the Koran. Once you're talking with someone who makes up their own facts, there's not much point in continuing.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-12-2014, 09:45 AM
(18-12-2014 06:59 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That being said, I know no shortage of Christians who believe they can prove the historical accuracy of the Bible and the historical inaccuracy of the Koran. Once you're talking with someone who makes up their own facts, there's not much point in continuing.

Well obviously the bible is correct. I mean. . . its written down in the bible, and we KNOW the bible is true, so the bible must be right! I mean, the bible even SAYS its the truth!

And what about the eye witnesses! The bible says there's hundreds of witnesses of Jesus's miracles, and you can just go ask them! Jeez man, why would they lie about that?

Seriously, I don't understand why this is so hard! How can you disbelieve the bible when the bible says the bible is true?

And all this stuff happened in real places, so it must have really happened!

Just like how Harry Potter is real because it happened in London.Yes
[+] 2 users Like jet_palero's post