The argument from desire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Question The argument from desire
Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?
Is it something that they've just decided?
Do other religions find this to be true, or just the christians?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lostinthought's post
21-12-2015, 07:35 PM
RE: The argument from desire
I'm pretty sure the Buddhists see it as a character flaw.

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-12-2015, 07:55 PM
(21-12-2015 07:32 PM)lostinthought Wrote:  Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?

I think it's something they've just decided is natural because they can't imagine any other kind of life. They're idiots though.... so there's that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-12-2015, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2015 08:17 PM by jennybee.)
It is human nature to try and figure things out, to want explanations for things--it is a basic survival tool. When people couldn't explain things, they invented god(s) to pacify themselves. A really good example of people inventing gods based on not understanding the world around them are cargo cults. This is a great example of how people latch onto beliefs in gods when they don't have all the answers. The same thing happened with Christianity and other religions, but obviously on a different scale and with different gods/belief systems.

[+] 9 users Like jennybee's post
21-12-2015, 08:16 PM
(21-12-2015 07:32 PM)lostinthought Wrote:  Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?

Ecclesiastes 3:11 (ASV) He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God hath done from the beginning even to the end.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Ego.....

Plain, old fashioned, ego............

If knowing the guy who created the universe, all of humanity and everything we see isn't a stroke to some pathetic jackoff's ego -- what is???

Sorry theist --- your big powerful invisible buddy isn't real.....

And you ain't shit.....

Get the fuck over yourself already.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-12-2015, 08:20 PM
(21-12-2015 07:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
Is it biblical?

I think it's something they've just decided is natural because they can't imagine any other kind of life. They're idiots though.... so there's that.

I know when I was Catholic--we were taught right out of the womb about God in my family. I think some Christians/Catholics haven't been exposed to other ways of thinking and because it was reiterated so early on, they believe they were born with this desire for god, when in reality, it was simply brainwashing and learned behavior.
21-12-2015, 08:20 PM
(21-12-2015 08:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
Is it biblical?

Ecclesiastes 3:11 (ASV) He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God hath done from the beginning even to the end.

Thank you!
21-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Is it biblical?

Because they're trying to debunk the atheist stance that we are born atheist and would not have gods except for indoctrination.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
21-12-2015, 08:25 PM
(21-12-2015 08:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 07:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think it's something they've just decided is natural because they can't imagine any other kind of life. They're idiots though.... so there's that.

I know when I was Catholic--we were taught right out of the womb about God in my family. I think some Christians/Catholics don't know anything else and because it was reiterated so early on, they believe they were born with this desire for god, when in reality, it was simply brainwashing and learned behavior.

Thats got me confused, and one of the reasons why I'm asking. At what point does it stop being a natural desire and turn into an artificial desire? I know for me, it feels more like an artificial desire than a natural one. The natural desire in me just seems to hope there is anything, something else after this. However, because of the culture I was raised in, the christian god is a big part of that desire for 'something', but it feels artificially inserted.