The argument from desire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2015, 07:38 AM
RE: The argument from desire
(23-12-2015 02:55 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Desire is a natural thing. To desire that which is of the material is foolish past the point of sustinance. There is only one way to permanently and fully quench desire, and that is within the eternal direction of God for the sake of being.

(23-12-2015 03:02 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Divisions is talked about and referenced with the tower of babble. In reality there is but One Creator GOD. This truth is being realized more daily. Names are a derivative of greed and lust for power, not the direction of God.

(23-12-2015 03:04 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It's more like a matter of time, or a sequence of events that will take place prior to the second coming. God will be known at some point, as will our direction in thanksgiving and love.

"Non-judgment is reborn in the progressive expansion of success"

"The cosmos projects onto the progressive expansion of molecules"

"The cosmos creates a symbolic representation of neural networks"

The enigmatic wisdom of Deepak Chopra

Get help pops, you need it

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-12-2015, 07:48 AM
(23-12-2015 03:02 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 08:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  That's because it was artificially inserted. If you grew up in another part of the world or in another place or time, you would have a different set of beliefs from Christianity. If you lived in India, for example, you may be Hindu.

To illustrate god(s) are artificial: The Greeks believed their gods were real. So did the Egyptians. So did many other cultures/societies--each with their own set of beliefs/their own gods. If a belief in the Christian god was the "right" one--then why all these other gods and belief systems? Instead, everyone would be born knowing the same religion, the same god., which clearly isn't the case.
Divisions is talked about and referenced with the tower of babble. In reality there is but One Creator GOD. This truth is being realized more daily. Names are a derivative of greed and lust for power, not the direction of God.

"Tower of babble"

Lol nailed it
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-12-2015, 10:49 AM
(23-12-2015 02:55 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Desire is a natural thing. To desire that which is of the material is foolish past the point of sustinance. There is only one way to permanently and fully quench desire, and that is within the eternal direction of God for the sake of being.

Did you even bother to read the OP? Your word salad has zero, zip, nada to do with it.

I copied it for you so that you can TRY AGAIN.

"Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?
Is it something that they've just decided?
Do other religions find this to be true, or just the christians?"
23-12-2015, 12:14 PM
(23-12-2015 10:49 AM)julep Wrote:  

Did you even bother to read the OP? Your word salad has zero, zip, nada to do with it.

"Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?

I'm not so sure, pops has convincingly demonstrated that Christians find the basis of their theories by pulling it out of their ass.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-12-2015, 12:26 PM
(21-12-2015 08:19 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ego.....

Plain, old fashioned, ego............

If knowing the guy who created the universe, all of humanity and everything we see isn't a stroke to some pathetic jackoff's ego -- what is???

Sorry theist --- your big powerful invisible buddy isn't real.....

And you ain't shit.....

Get the fuck over yourself already.................

Nope. Not Ego in the least bit, actually.

Romans 1:20-23
Quote:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-12-2015, 12:30 PM
(23-12-2015 10:49 AM)julep Wrote:  

Is it biblical?
If you can't see that I was staying that desire is in us all and that desire of material things as opposed to beneficial direction for all is diluted. If all have desire then all can meet that desire with truthful selfless direction and fulfil that desire more so than with material things.

No desire and thus forth desire to know of the creative force and correct direction of reciprocal thanks and giving is innate in All. If someone says they don't care to know meaningful things then they have no purpose.

23-12-2015, 12:33 PM
(23-12-2015 03:04 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(22-12-2015 01:30 AM)Ace Wrote:  so god again admits he doesn't want people to know he exists, doesn't want them to know what and how he does thing nor anything else for that matter

how many instances in the bible does god say this ?
It's more like a matter of time, or a sequence of events that will take place prior to the second coming. God will be known at some point, as will our direction in thanksgiving and love.

And how many different versions of the sequence of events that will take place prior to the second coming have been derived from the same book The Babble? I once catelogged 7 and that was just those i had been exposed to at that time. I started writing a book about them but gave it up. Some people fantasize about a rapture, though that idea is not in the actual Bible, as well as the fantasy of The AntiChrist, not in the Bible. The Last Plagues and on and on. Every year there are signs of the END to those who are looking for them.
23-12-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 01:06 PM by Leo.)
(21-12-2015 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the Buddhists see it as a character flaw.

Yep craving or desire and clinging for sensual pleasures , clinging for views , clinging to rules and vows , clinging to the doctrine of the self or ego is the root of suffering. Yes Thumbsup The Christards desire to know god is mostly because they are afraid of death. They are afraid of oblivion. They desire and crave to exist forever after death. Christards are too attached to their ego.
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
23-12-2015, 01:48 PM
(23-12-2015 12:30 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 10:49 AM)julep Wrote:  Did you even bother to read the OP? Your word salad has zero, zip, nada to do with it.

Is it biblical?
If you can't see that I was staying that desire is in us all and that desire of material things as opposed to beneficial direction for all is diluted. If all have desire then all can meet that desire with truthful selfless direction and fulfil that desire more so than with material things.

If someone says they don't care to know meaningful things then they have no purpose.

The Christian "argument from desire" is that all people desire to know god, and that this desire itself is evidence that god exists. The argument is not that all people are born with the capability of desiring things. The argument is that all people are born desiring to know god.

You seem to be coming down on the anti side of the argument with "If someone says they don't care to know meaningful things then they have no purpose." If you agreed with the argument from desire, then you would call such a person a liar, rather than someone without a purpose. So congrats, you seem to be in agreement with the atheists on this one!

However, it's possible that you thought you made a different point in the bunch of words ending with a period (I can't in good conscience call it a sentence) before the one I quoted which would undermine my interpretation.

"No desire and thus forth desire to know of the creative force and correct direction of reciprocal thanks and giving is innate in All." Undecided
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
23-12-2015, 02:00 PM
(23-12-2015 01:48 PM)julep Wrote:  However, it's possible that you thought you made a different point in the bunch of words ending with a period (I can't in good conscience call it a sentence) before the one I quoted which would undermine my interpretation.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP