The argument from desire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2015, 05:32 PM
RE: The argument from desire
(23-12-2015 04:43 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 04:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It's called scripture and works or the products of one's life and work. It is verifiable, easily.

And you don't realize if I use one set of scriptures I can "prove" that Seventh-Day-Adventists are the only true Christians and using another set I can prove that Baptists are the only true Christians and on and on to infinity? Or do you honestly not realize that?
Not true at all. Core scripture is intertwined and includes all walks but those whom blapheme the holy spirit. Just because sects are divided out of spite, anger, vengeance, and greed, doesn't mean that a how it is going to be according to scriptures.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2015, 05:34 PM
(23-12-2015 05:03 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Lastly the reciprocal part would be the giving part without want. It is in thanks to the giving spirit of God, and respect for its All subsisting nature.

Huh? Whenever I am in church they expect me to do the giving. God ain't giving nuthin'
Not talking about church really. Tithes to me aren't founded to the extent that most "churches" exemplify.
23-12-2015, 05:36 PM
(23-12-2015 05:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Tithes to me aren't founded to the extent that most "churches" exemplify.

It'd really help if you could compose a sentence that actually made sense. I firmly believe that you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about but it is hard to say sometimes because it is so hard to parse your posts.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-12-2015, 05:42 PM
(23-12-2015 05:32 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not true at all. Core scripture is intertwined and includes all walks but those whom blapheme the holy spirit.

Fuck the holy spirit. Like right in the cornhole. Does that count as blaphemy?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Jenny already told it how it is.

I know I've never personally desired to know a god, but I've also never been under the belief that such a being exists. If you were taught that such a being exists then it's probably natural to desire to know that being.

Just like a kid desires to know Santa. Angel

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
23-12-2015, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 06:21 PM by Aliza.)
(21-12-2015 07:32 PM)lostinthought Wrote:  Where do christians find the basis for this theory that we are all born with a natural desire to know god?
Is it biblical?
Is it something that they've just decided?
Do other religions find this to be true, or just the christians?

(I thought I had posted this earlier, but I can't seem to find it in this thread. Apologies if this is a duplicate post.)

I can’t help you with understanding what motivates Christians, but I can at least say that this idea of man having a natural inclination to believe in G-d is not founded in Judaism. When this idea entered into their theology is beyond me.

When Christianity started, it was basically a Jewish religion, and Judaism teaches that man does not have a natural inclination to believe in G-d. We can arrive at this conclusion when we examine the nature of the Jewish commandments. All commandments address things that are not inherent to the nature of human beings. For example, mother’s don’t need to be told to love their children and people don’t need to be told to mourn the dead.

To the Jewish way of thinking, the first commandment, to know G-d, carries an underlying message that people won’t naturally feel a desire to do this. They must be told. So while I can’t say why Christians have this belief, I can at least say that the belief doesn’t come from their source religion, Judaism.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
23-12-2015, 06:28 PM
It's the argument of an individual who has no predisposition for understanding his or her fellow humans outside of a very specific religious framework. It feeds into the model of human behavior trumpeted by many an apologist that contends those who reject God do so out of a lust for vice rather than an absence of knowledge of the divine. A simple narrative for simple people.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
23-12-2015, 06:32 PM
(23-12-2015 06:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I can’t help you with understanding what motivates Christians, but I can at least say that this idea of man having a natural inclination to believe in G-d is not founded in Judaism. When this idea entered into their theology is beyond me.

When Christianity started, it was basically a Jewish religion, and Judaism teaches that man does not have a natural inclination to believe in G-d. We can arrive at this conclusion when we examine the nature of the Jewish commandments. All commandments address things that are not inherent to the nature of human beings. For example, mother’s don’t need to be told to love their children and people don’t need to be told to mourn the dead.

To the Jewish way of thinking, the first commandment, to know G-d, carries an underlying message that people won’t naturally feel a desire to do this. They must be told. So while I can’t say why Christians have this belief, I can at least say that the belief doesn’t come from their source religion, Judaism.

Yabut you're too pussy to even say the name of God let alone recognize me when I AM right in front of your face. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-12-2015, 06:36 PM
(23-12-2015 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 06:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I can’t help you with understanding what motivates Christians, but I can at least say that this idea of man having a natural inclination to believe in G-d is not founded in Judaism. When this idea entered into their theology is beyond me.

Yabut you're too pussy to even say the name of God let alone recognize me when I AM right in front of your face. Tongue

Technically speaking, she doesn't even know what god's proper name is. Girlyman is merely the moniker you use so us lowly mortals can address you in our limited and vulgar tongues.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
23-12-2015, 06:48 PM
(23-12-2015 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'm not afraid to type out "God". It's just feels weird. Besides, my fingers naturally go to the dash. If I type out the "o" in the middle, it's because I went and backspaced over the dash.