The argument from evil proves that the world is horrible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: The argument from evil proves that the world is horrible?
(18-05-2014 04:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 03:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That would be Quote mining by your definition.

The context, both immediate and in toto supports the summation I gave and thus renders your charge groundless.

You fail as do the rest of the godless that have nothing better to do than demonstrate how ignorant they are when it comes to subjects they haven't the slightest command of.

Oh I see it is only quote mining the bible when the icky parts you don't like are mentioned. You are incredibly guilty of cherry picking. But that is nothing new, oh and for the record you have demonstrated a lack of familiarity with the bible on par with most fundy preachers that come here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-05-2014, 04:28 PM
(18-05-2014 04:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 04:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The context, both immediate and in toto supports the summation I gave and thus renders your charge groundless.

You fail as do the rest of the godless that have nothing better to do than demonstrate how ignorant they are when it comes to subjects they haven't the slightest command of.

Oh I see it is only quote mining the bible when the icky parts you don't like are mentioned. You are incredibly guilty of cherry picking. But that is nothing new, oh and for the record you have demonstrated a lack of familiarity with the bible on par with most fundy preachers that come here.

No, no, its quote mining when you take bible verses outside the context of apologetics.

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
18-05-2014, 04:29 PM
(18-05-2014 04:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 04:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The context, both immediate and in toto supports the summation I gave and thus renders your charge groundless.

A lack of familiarity with the skeptics annotated bible you mean.

Yes I am unfamiliar with it.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
18-05-2014, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2014 05:08 PM by Full Circle.)
(18-05-2014 12:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 12:45 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  The rape apology post, where you argued taking virgins against their will after killing their families, and forcing them to marry the men who murdered their families for sexual purposes?

Or are you just waffling again, and about to slide back to your position that when the text of the bible doesn't agree with the philosophical concept of God, those passages are "simply irrelevant"?

I never wrote the post you are referencing.

I wrote an exposition of Deut. 21:10-14

I absolutely love Deuteronomy!

Some of my favorites:

Regarding genitals and worship
He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.
Deuteronomy 23:1

Regarding servants/slaves
16 But if your servant says to you, “I do not want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is well off with you, 17 then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant.
Deuteronomy 15:16-17

Regarding war
16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes.
Deuteronomy 20:16

Note: on the occasions you come across cities in nations not given to you then keep the virgins and oxen and kill everything else, no need for waste you know, much more practical and loving.

Regarding sex
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife.
Deuteronomy 22:23-24
This last one is really interesting because it should be applied to God himself since Mary was married to Joseph at the time of the virgin birth.

This is fun Jeremy!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
18-05-2014, 04:57 PM
(18-05-2014 04:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 04:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh I see it is only quote mining the bible when the icky parts you don't like are mentioned. You are incredibly guilty of cherry picking. But that is nothing new, oh and for the record you have demonstrated a lack of familiarity with the bible on par with most fundy preachers that come here.

A lack of familiarity with the skeptics annotated bible you mean.

Yes I am unfamiliar with it.

The Skeptics Annotated Bible is little more than pointing out what is obviously contradictory and/or atrocious in the Bible.

Any other book with that much contradicting and disgusting bullshit in it and you would have thrown it out as worthless, too.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
20-05-2014, 02:38 PM
(17-05-2014 07:11 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  ...So its pretty bleak I know. There is a balance to everything though. The lesson to be learned from this, I think, is to live the best life for yourself, and nobody else, that you can while you have it. You are small and your life short by any objective measure, don't delude yourself with grandeur or look to the afterlife for comfort or reformation. All of it is empty, there is only right now, right where you are, and only for as long as you have air to breath and healthy mind to consider it all. If the universe teaches us anything, its be kind to yourself and to each other. The only thing that can give you value is yourself and the people you care about. We are truly alone in this universe, and imperfect in every conceivable way except one; we know we are here and we have just enough intellect to appreciate it all. That is what life is all about, in my humble opinion.

Sorry for drowning on. I do hope you find your answers, and I think if you keep searching it is very likely you will.

Hey, sorry I have been away from my computer for a few days and busy with work so I haven't had much time to reply, and won't have time to reply more in detail as I would like, but thanks for this reply. You sound like a good person. Maybe I'll have more time later. Peace.