The arms race; are we already doomed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2012, 02:56 AM
The arms race; are we already doomed?
* From now on, my threads that were written while high will have a star in the corner to alert readers that the words may not actually make sense.

If there were no countries and mankind was living together as just "Earthians," with no wars over land or the "one country against another country" mentality, there would be less of an interest in creating the most efficient weapons possible. There would be a curiosity, but it wouldn't be as frantic and heavily funded as it is now. But right now, here's the situation. Humans are racing to make the deadliest weapons possible. They don't necessarily want to do this, but they have this fear that if they don't do it, their enemy will do it first. That's how we went from steel and sword to gunpowder and cannon to rifle and grenades to weaponized aircraft and armored vehicle to nuclear warhead. We're frantically trying to come up with the next, most terrifying weapon possible before our enemy does.

And humanity is slow to react to our collective effort to destroy each other. It took 40 years for us to ban the use of napalm (but only against civilians, we don't mind if it burns soldiers), and some countries (looking at you America) continue to ignore that law. After we witnessed the horror of the nuclear explosion, we collectively agreed to only keep "a few" nukes and only a few countries are allowed to have them. The number of operational nukes in America's possession was just released for the first time under Obama and we have roughly 5,000 nukes with thousands more "waiting to be disassembled." It only takes a couple nukes to destroy the human population. So we clearly aren't taking that too seriously either. Meanwhile, we're still looking for the next big thing. Trying to invent the weapon that will outperform the nuke "just in case our enemies use their nukes."

Weed's making me sleepy.

Here's the thought process:

1. As long as there exist borders and separate countries, there will exist enemies.
2. As long as there exist enemies, there will exist a frantic effort to outmatch the enemies in war capabilities.
3. As long as this arms race continues, we as a species are on a road to extinction. It's just a matter of time before someone creates a global killer.
4. The only way to save mankind is to come together as one species.
5. That's very unlikely to happen.
6. Therefore, we are doomed to wipe ourselves out.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
21-11-2012, 03:00 AM
RE: The arms race; are we already doomed?
but having the best weapon doesn't mean you use it

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-11-2012, 03:04 AM
I trust in the power of Doctor Strangelove and his band of merry men to defend us in our darkest hour.
[Image: a81bfb697eaf5cdad2adc8c8179a5487-med]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 03:53 AM
I've never understood why we devote so much time and energy to making things specifically to kill people in large numbers as quickly as possible. If it hurts that's a bonus. How long does it take to make a human? How much effort to gain an education, to understand the complexities of life. And we want machine guns that can fire hundreds of rounds per minute Sad
21-11-2012, 07:39 AM
(21-11-2012 03:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  I've never understood why we devote so much time and energy to making things specifically to kill people in large numbers as quickly as possible. If it hurts that's a bonus. How long does it take to make a human? How much effort to gain an education, to understand the complexities of life. And we want machine guns that can fire hundreds of rounds per minute Sad

We've got to be able to mow down the godless heathens before they overrun us. Angry

Oh, wait. We're the godless heathens. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-11-2012, 07:45 AM
I would agree that the best way to ensure the survival of our species is to have a world government.

It is not just to reduce friction, but to improve cooperation to ward off global threats (asteroid strike, environmental disaster, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse).

Maybe we can slowly make the U.N. stronger and it will morph into something effective.

I am not hopeful, but it could happen.

21-11-2012, 07:48 AM
(21-11-2012 07:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would agree that the best way to ensure the survival of our species is to have a world government.

It is not just to reduce friction, but to improve cooperation to ward off global threats (asteroid strike, environmental disaster, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse).

Maybe we can slowly make the U.N. stronger and it will morph into something effective.

It will never happen, as long as there're 5 permanent members in the security council there won't be any substantial changes in the UN structure, therefore it can't aspire to be a world government.

btw, a world government would be a representation nightmare! democracy would be impossible Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-11-2012, 08:14 AM
(21-11-2012 07:48 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 07:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would agree that the best way to ensure the survival of our species is to have a world government.

It will never happen, as long as there're 5 permanent members in the security council there won't be any substantial changes in the UN structure, therefore it can't aspire to be a world government.

btw, a world government would be a representation nightmare! democracy would be impossible Sad
Nonsense. We would all just be big states. The UN was on the right track for a long while, but then we just let it fizzle out due to nationalism.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
21-11-2012, 11:38 AM

[Image: tumblr_mdckjyhQvF1qi17ru.gif]
Here come the theists and conspiracy nuts who think atheists are trying to usher in some new world order.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
21-11-2012, 11:50 AM
(21-11-2012 11:38 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  

[Image: tumblr_mdckjyhQvF1qi17ru.gif]
Here come the theists and conspiracy nuts who think atheists are trying to usher in some new world order.

I am trying to usher in a new world order; just don't tell anyone. Drinking Beverage