The art of choosing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2012, 04:38 AM
The art of choosing
TED is always a great source for interesting ideas and I just came across this one about choice and how it's not always as we may think. Really great speaker btw, it's a pleasure to hear her Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: The art of choosing
Slavoj Zizek talks about this all the time.

It's called a false choice. This false choice he refers to gives people the semblance of personal freedom. In other words, in the west we are presented with the option for choosing many things during our day yet these choices are all superficial and mainly refer to consumerism, this is part of the cult of the individual. The false western capitalist idea of personal individual choice, disregarding society and culture around you and making "your own choice". This is actually non existent because what we think are our own personal choices are influenced by the culture around us.

You should check out Zizeks view on this topic.
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM
The art of choosing
(04-12-2012 04:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  TED is always a great source for interesting ideas and I just came across this one about choice and how it's not always as we may think. Really great speaker btw, it's a pleasure to hear her Big Grin

Oh. This looks good. Thanks for posting. I will Choose to watch this later. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post