The art of spoiling yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 10:18 PM
RE: The art of spoiling yourself
Sometimes I listen to music and sing along...

And dance too.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-07-2013, 10:28 PM
To relax, I fly. There's something about the solitude in the cockpit, the blending of man and machine, and captaining a ship to a faraway destination. There's a romance and a contagious energy about flying and once it gets in your blood, you'll go broke getting your fix.

The cockpit was my office. It was a place where I experienced many emotions and learned many lessons. It was a place of work, but also a keeper of dreams. It was a place of deadly serious encounters, yet there I discovered much about life. I learned about joy and sorrow, pride and humility, fear and overcoming fear. I saw much from that office that most people would never see. At times it terrified me, yet I could always feel at home there. It was my place, at that time in space, and the jet was mine for those moments. Though it was a place where I could quickly die, the cockpit was a place where I truly lived.

- Brian Shul, SR-71 Pilot

On the ground, I love downtown Savannah. The tourists, River Street, the old buildings, the moss covered oak tree lined town squares. Like New Orleans, there is a certain Southern magic to the place. Or head out to Tybee island and have a Corona at a cafe near the beach and make small talk with some bikini clad Parrot Head out there.

I also do a lot of sea kayaking out around the area and up in Charleston, SC. All kinds of hidden treasures like the old flooded rice plantations northwest of town or Little Tybee, searching for seashells and hermit crabs.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-07-2013, 10:38 PM
(19-07-2013 10:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  A 250 might be what I have to start on, cause I don't want to go into debt. If I can, I'd like to get a Vulcan 500 if I can find the right one for the right price, but again, I've never even driven a motorcycle, just a dinky dirtbike when I was about 16 or so.

I started on a Ninja 250. Fantastic little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, cheap parts. I kept it for about 5 years before I sold it. I rode it just as much as my other bike I have now.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-07-2013, 12:07 AM
(19-07-2013 10:38 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 10:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  A 250 might be what I have to start on, cause I don't want to go into debt. If I can, I'd like to get a Vulcan 500 if I can find the right one for the right price, but again, I've never even driven a motorcycle, just a dinky dirtbike when I was about 16 or so.

I started on a Ninja 250. Fantastic little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, cheap parts. I kept it for about 5 years before I sold it. I rode it just as much as my other bike I have now.

Sorry for derailing, everyone. Whatchu got now Willis?

20-07-2013, 12:23 AM
(20-07-2013 12:07 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 10:38 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I started on a Ninja 250. Fantastic little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, cheap parts. I kept it for about 5 years before I sold it. I rode it just as much as my other bike I have now.

Careful, I might hug ya. Tongue

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-07-2013, 08:51 AM
(20-07-2013 12:07 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 10:38 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I started on a Ninja 250. Fantastic little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, cheap parts. I kept it for about 5 years before I sold it. I rode it just as much as my other bike I have now.

Ducati 900SS

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Additional splurge...couldn't seem to get the pool right, finally hired professionals to do it. I will finally be able to get in the pool this weekend (halfway through summer SMH). I set up the Ipod dock and enjoy two of my favorite things...music and being in the water. Since the men in my life aren't interested in the pool...it's alone time for me to relax. Ahhhhhh!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-07-2013, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 09:25 AM by ridethespiral.)

If you are going with a cruiser you will be able to flat foot it no matter what you get. In a sport bike I wouldn't go past 250 to start but in a v-twin cruiser you can pick up a 500-900 no problem. They are heavy but if you do okay at low speeds on a 250 in MSF there is no reason you couldn't get one. Even the big 1000cc+ cruisers are not going to wheelie or anything, you just have to learn how to handle the weight when stopping/making slow turns. I have a Suzuki M50(800cc) I got used for 3500 it is a great first bike...that ninja 250 with its online engine and light tiny frame would destroy me on a race.

My next bike will probably be a sport standard/sport touring bike...600cc inline twin or something like that....my buddy just got his JSXR 750 stolen but that thing had more power than anyone would ever need.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2013, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 09:38 AM by Logisch.)
True, cruisers tend to be a bit heavier. I'm used to sportbikes. The last 250 cruiser I rode was a Rebel 250 and man that thing was a slug. Again, a bike that you feel confident and comfortable with is important Smile V-Twins don't tend to have snappy powerbands like the inline japanese motors do. Very smooth and full of torque which is fantastic.

If I could go back and start on something simple, it probably would have been a mid sized CB of some kind. They sound nice, they're simple to work on, they're a neat vintage bike, still can get parts and they are ridiculously easy to work on. I still want to buy one and make a cafe racer out of one haha. And unless you want to scream and punch your bike, never buy a Seca. I had to work on one of those stupid things for a friend once. You have to remove the exhaust just to do an oil change. What brilliant engineering, you'd think someone from Fiat designed it or something.

I suppose a good analogy would be... if you were beginning to drive, what would you be comfortable driving? Something that's easy to drive with a decent powerband? Would you totally shit your pants if you strapped into a Ferrari having never driven a car before? If the answer is that you would, the same goes for bikes... you wouldn't want to start on something snappy and bat shit crazy for your first bike if it makes you go, "Whoa dude, this thing is WAY too fast." because you're afraid of the powerband, the bike itself, and you are nervous all the time. Instead, be it a cruiser or a sportbike (because cruisers can go fast too), finding something that doesn't make you nervous, hesitant, etc, is crucial to start on so that as you learn you grow into the bike and get a better feel for it.

There are some riders who will tell you that if you aren't riding something huge, that somehow it makes you a pussy or a chicken. Those guys have far too much testosterone and are usually the ones who stop riding in the near future when they crash and realize that their human bodies are fragile and they suck. There is this, "The size of your engine makes the size of your dick" mentality, or those who will tell you that if you have chicken strip left on your tires that you are too afraid to lean in corners... it's pure stupidity really. I started riding when I was 18. I'm crawling up on 30 in the next few years. Out of all the idiots I've ran into and still know who had that mentality, none of them are still riding because they crashed (due to their own fault of course) and finally realize they aren't Valentino Rossi.

You won't run into the chickenstrip mentality with cruisers, but you might still get a poke and prod about the engine size. All I can say is fuck'em, who cares, ride what YOU feel comfortable with, be happy with your bike, your riding abilities and be safe. I also wouldn't listen to people who tell you not to wear protective gear because, "You'll die anyway if you crash" - which is absolutely not true, you fare a FAR better chance in gear than without. Anyone who would try and argue that who wears a corona shirt, shorts, sandals and a bro salad bowl for a helmet cares more about cool factor than safety factor. They're also the ones getting skin grafts when they crash.

Sportbike or cruiser, you make one stupid mistake and it's no bueno. Give yourself every bit of learning leniency you can. Comfort, confidence, safety. You'll enjoy yourself for a very long time.

I also recommend the following since you're looking into riding (it isn't specific to the 250, it's just a newbies guide to bikes, I even wrote some articles back in the day in their maintenance area)
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Anyway... /rant.

PS: I have yet to crash. Not saying I can't or won't.. but I am very calculating of risks and risk assessment.

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
20-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah your cruisers are torque machines, I can easily start from a dead stop in 3rd gear if I wanted too...Which is why they are great first bikes, you can come around the corner and click the sequential down from 4th to 3rd thinking you are going from 3rd to 2nd and you can still ease right on through. Also some of these sports bikes rev to like 13 or 14K (and have far less torque) and downshifting @ 10K is going to lock your rear wheel and could ultimately high side you.

As for gear here in PA there are no helmet laws so I see alot more squids (people without gear) than I did in NJ. Personally I wear all the gear except for right now when I loose the jacket and just wear gauntlets and a full face because I'd rather add to my road rash risk to reduce the risk of making a mistake due to heat exhaustion in this 100º weather. Go SNELL approved on a full face (they are not nearly as expensive as you might think http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/...lmet.aspx) and they say white is the best for viz.

I hung out at motorcycleforum.com for awhile but only for the bike stuff, it's very much a red state, god, country and harley kinda place so be forewarned.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post