The atheist afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 09:25 AM
The atheist afterlife?
I keep hearing people talking about leaving a legacy.

That is kind of interesting to me.

I guess producing offspring belongs into that category - your genes carry on.

Others take it much further and want to make a name for themselves that will go down in history.

But why? Is this a way to live on, to have an afterlife?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: The atheist afterlife?
It's a way to feel less dread at the thought of no longer existing. "I may not be here anymore, but at least people will remember me."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
24-10-2014, 10:05 AM
I think it's related to some people's need to feel important. If you die and no one really cares or remembers you, then it implies you didn't make much of a contribution to the world or to those around you while you were here. For some, that translates to essentially being worthless. I don't agree, but I think it fits with the personality of people that want to leave a legacy.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
24-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I always got the feeling that it's a result of people realizing that, afterlife or not, they only have so much time here. I'm not sure if it's some form of counter-nihilism, or what.
24-10-2014, 10:15 AM
At the very least I think it's important to at make people's memories of you happy ones...

A bloke down the road died a few months ago... He was a complete bastard his whole life, and nobody shed a tear when he went, some were glad to see the back of him. That's not how you want to be remembered.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 10:17 AM
(24-10-2014 09:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  Others take it much further and want to make a name for themselves that will go down in history.
Dawkins obviously has this problem
24-10-2014, 10:21 AM
(24-10-2014 10:17 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 09:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  Others take it much further and want to make a name for themselves that will go down in history.
Dawkins obviously has this problem

No, the problem that Dr. Dawkins has is a Twitter account. Confused
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-10-2014, 10:24 AM
I think that being a good, loving person to the people I love is what I want my legacy to be. It may only help in a small way but I'd like to think that the small ways, though often overlooked, are just as important.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
24-10-2014, 10:27 AM
(24-10-2014 10:15 AM)Sam Wrote:  At the very least I think it's important to at make people's memories of you happy ones...

A bloke down the road died a few months ago... He was a complete bastard his whole life, and nobody shed a tear when he went, some were glad to see the back of him. That's not how you want to be remembered.

Why does it matter how you are remembered?

I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.

Firstly, I won't be around to know about it, and also, I don't care all that much now. The ones I care about care about me too. That's all that really matters to me...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-10-2014, 10:37 AM
(24-10-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.
That's exactly how I feel about it. If no one is at my funeral, it won't bother me in the least because I will never know.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post