The atheist afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: The atheist afterlife?
(24-10-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.

The two are intertwined as how you are remembered affects your loved ones. Imagine the difference between being the son of JFK compared to the son of Charles Manson.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Oh Dom, I just noticed you opened this thread, and I feel like my post on the other one might have been the spark. I feel compelled to contribute here too. Tongue

I think some posts in this thread have made really good points that touch on different aspects as to why someone would want to be remembered, or want to do something long-lasting. I agree with some of them, by the way.

I suppose I don't have one reason, that would mean oversimplifying it, but the desire is there. For example, I've seen some famous atheists being asked "Why do you do this?" (why debating, why holding talk shows, etc) and the reply was always along the line that if you manage to change something, to touch someone's mind, even only one person, then it was worth it. I feel like that's a nice motivation/argument for whatever your goal is.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
24-10-2014, 10:47 AM
(24-10-2014 10:45 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.

The two are intertwined as how you are remembered affects your loved ones. Imagine the difference between being the son of JFK compared to the son of Charles Manson.

Well, I will have to abstain from commenting here as I don't have kids. The people I love won't be affected by my reputation.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2014, 10:48 AM
(24-10-2014 10:46 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Oh Dom, I just noticed you opened this thread, and I feel like my post on the other one might have been the spark. I feel compelled to contribute here too. Tongue

I think some posts in this thread have made really good points that touch on different aspects as to why someone would want to be remembered, or want to do something long-lasting. I agree with some of them, by the way.

I suppose I don't have one reason, that would mean oversimplifying it, but the desire is there. For example, I've seen some famous atheists being asked "Why do you do this?" (why debating, why holding talk shows, etc) and the reply was always along the line that if you manage to change something, to touch someone's mind, even only one person, then it was worth it. I feel like that's a nice motivation/argument for whatever your goal is.

Your comments in the other thread definitely sparked this. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2014, 10:51 AM

My legacy will live on through my children, grandchildren etc. I have taught them to think so that they can be free.
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post
24-10-2014, 10:53 AM
(24-10-2014 10:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I will have to abstain from commenting here as I don't have kids. The people I love won't be affected by my reputation.

You might still find a reason, if only for those people you care about and that care about you having bad memories of you. If you care, how can you say you don't care? If you don't care, how can you say you care?
24-10-2014, 10:55 AM
(24-10-2014 10:51 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  My legacy will live on through my children, grandchildren etc.
[Image: adf.jpg]
24-10-2014, 10:55 AM
(24-10-2014 10:53 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I will have to abstain from commenting here as I don't have kids. The people I love won't be affected by my reputation.

You might still find a reason, if only for those people you care about and that care about you having bad memories of you. If you care, how can you say you don't care? If you don't care, how can you say you care?

I said that the people I care about also care about me. That is enough for me. I don't care whether people I don't care about care about me. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-10-2014, 10:57 AM
(24-10-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:15 AM)Sam Wrote:  At the very least I think it's important to at make people's memories of you happy ones...

A bloke down the road died a few months ago... He was a complete bastard his whole life, and nobody shed a tear when he went, some were glad to see the back of him. That's not how you want to be remembered.

Why does it matter how you are remembered?

I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.

Firstly, I won't be around to know about it, and also, I don't care all that much now. The ones I care about care about me too. That's all that really matters to me...

Do you really want your family to be glad you're gone?

Much better to die knowing people loved you and that you made them happy.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 11:01 AM
(24-10-2014 10:55 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:51 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  My legacy will live on through my children, grandchildren etc.
[Image: adf.jpg]

No one did. Get over yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post