The atheist afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: The atheist afterlife?
(24-10-2014 10:57 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Why does it matter how you are remembered?

I do care that my loved ones fare well for their life time after I am gone, but I could care less what anybody thinks.

Firstly, I won't be around to know about it, and also, I don't care all that much now. The ones I care about care about me too. That's all that really matters to me...

Do you really want your family to be glad you're gone?

Much better to die knowing people loved you and that you made them happy.

When I'm gone, I won't care if anyone is glad that I am gone.

Perhaps, if I die early enough to leave them an inheritance, they will be glad I am gone. Tongue

I actually prefer them not to grieve - I am still grieving over my husband and I don't wish it on anyone.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Ego is a huge distraction for our species on many levels and seems to play it's part in that whole afterlife/identity preservation thing. To me, it seems it should be easier to control the ego when one knows that there will come a day when the Earth will be toast. Ego is powerless in the face of evolution; nature has no stake in YOU.

One day, we'll all be toast. <-- That needs to be the challenge to every head of state on the planet... or maybe, it just needs to be a teeshirt. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Re: RE: The atheist afterlife?
(24-10-2014 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:57 AM)Sam Wrote:  Do you really want your family to be glad you're gone?

Much better to die knowing people loved you and that you made them happy.

When I'm gone, I won't care if anyone is glad that I am gone.

Perhaps, if I die early enough to leave them an inheritance, they will be glad I am gone. Tongue

I actually prefer them not to grieve - I am still grieving over my husband and I don't wish it on anyone.
Suit yourself.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 11:16 AM
(24-10-2014 11:02 AM)kim Wrote:  Ego is a huge distraction for our species on many levels and seems to play it's part in that whole afterlife/identity preservation thing. To me, it seems it should be easier to control the ego when one knows that there will come a day when the Earth will be toast. Ego is powerless in the face of evolution; nature has no stake in YOU.

One day, we'll all be toast. <-- That needs to be the challenge to every head of state on the planet... or maybe, it just needs to be a teeshirt. Drinking Beverage

That to me sounds like: better don't do anything, because you'll be dead.

You can say that it's ego, and a part of it probably is since we all have it, but you don't stop falling in love because you think that it's only a way of your mind to trick you into thinking that there is something more than just wanting to procreate. So even if ego is one reason in your subconscious, something good can still come from it.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
24-10-2014, 11:28 AM
(24-10-2014 11:16 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:02 AM)kim Wrote:  Ego is a huge distraction for our species on many levels and seems to play it's part in that whole afterlife/identity preservation thing. To me, it seems it should be easier to control the ego when one knows that there will come a day when the Earth will be toast. Ego is powerless in the face of evolution; nature has no stake in YOU.

That to me sounds like: better don't do anything, because you'll be dead.

You can say that it's ego, and a part of it probably is since we all have it, but you don't stop falling in love because you think that it's only a way of your mind to trick you into thinking that there is something more than just wanting to procreate. So even if ego is one reason in your subconscious, something good can still come from it.

How does it sound like "better not do anything because you'll be dead"? I don't see it saying that at all.

And love has nothing to do with sexual attraction. Sex is not love.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2014, 11:30 AM
It is my personal hope that the sentient experience of my life will someday contribute to the sapient knowledge of my offspring. Thousands of generations have passed their genes down to me and it makes me who I am. But who were they...really? Other than being lucky enough to pass on their genetic code, what were they like and how does this contribute to my perception of so-called "free will".

I suspect that someday google will be able to provide a plethora of information about who I am as an individual long after I am dead and gone. For a nominal fee, my data history profile will be accessed by curious progenitors of my seed only to find that to the world, I was no one special. But to them and what makes them human, I was the shit Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't call it an afterlife not at all. Its the way of progress to inspire the next generation and it builds and builds. Being content is always an option but not the only one. Sure, maybe it is an ego thing to do something more and I'm glad it's there. If early humans didn't dare to make fire where would we be?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
24-10-2014, 11:37 AM
(24-10-2014 11:02 AM)kim Wrote:  One day, we'll all be toast. <-- That needs to be the challenge to every head of state on the planet... or maybe, it just needs to be a teeshirt. Drinking Beverage

Memento mori, eh?

The Romans got some things right...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
24-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Ever since I first saw Ghost with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, I've wanted to be a ghost when I die. Fingers crossed!

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
24-10-2014, 11:47 AM
(24-10-2014 11:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  How does it sound like "better not do anything because you'll be dead"? I don't see it saying that at all.

And love has nothing to do with sexual attraction. Sex is not love.

Well, the "one day we'll be toast" sounded like not a motivation to do something.

I agree that sex is not love, that was not the aim of my analogy. I meant that even if one of the reasons is selfish/low/not noble, it can still make you do/experience good things.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]