The atheist afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: The atheist afterlife?
(24-10-2014 11:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I wouldn't call it an afterlife not at all. Its the way of progress to inspire the next generation and it builds and builds. Being content is always an option but not the only one. Sure, maybe it is an ego thing to do something more and I'm glad it's there. If early humans didn't dare to make fire where would we be?

I'm pretty sure they made fire without thinking about fame thousands of years after they die...they would have made fire anyway. They did make fire anyway. Besides, we certainly don't know diddly about them today.

In the course of a life time, you affect many other lives, you may affect the entire outcome of their lives. It doesn't make you a hall of famer - nor is that the reason you may want to affect someone's life for the better.

What I am saying is that the reward is in the here and now, and so is the motivation.

Why should remembrance after death cause you to do anything you wouldn't do anyway?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2014, 12:30 PM
(24-10-2014 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I wouldn't call it an afterlife not at all. Its the way of progress to inspire the next generation and it builds and builds. Being content is always an option but not the only one. Sure, maybe it is an ego thing to do something more and I'm glad it's there. If early humans didn't dare to make fire where would we be?

I'm pretty sure they made fire without thinking about fame thousands of years after they die...they would have made fire anyway. They did make fire anyway. Besides, we certainly don't know diddly about them today.

In the course of a life time, you affect many other lives, you may affect the entire outcome of their lives. It doesn't make you a hall of famer - nor is that the reason you may want to affect someone's life for the better.

What I am saying is that the reward is in the here and now, and so is the motivation.

Why should remembrance after death cause you to do anything you wouldn't do anyway?
I'm having trouble understanding what your saying. Why shouldn't people be motivated by fame? It isn't the only motivation out there which I'm sure you understand.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
24-10-2014, 12:43 PM
(24-10-2014 11:16 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:02 AM)kim Wrote:  ---Ego is powerless in the face of evolution; nature has no stake in YOU.

One day, we'll all be toast. --- Drinking Beverage

That to me sounds like: better don't do anything, because you'll be dead.

You can say that it's ego, and a part of it probably is since we all have it, but you don't stop falling in love because you think that it's only a way of your mind to trick you into thinking that there is something more than just wanting to procreate. So even if ego is one reason in your subconscious, something good can still come from it.

I think for me, it's more a matter of working to have less and less of a stake in ME, THEN and more of a stake in me, NOW.

ME, THEN seems pretty daunting but me, NOW ... that shit'll keep ya busy. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-10-2014, 12:44 PM
(24-10-2014 12:30 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  I'm pretty sure they made fire without thinking about fame thousands of years after they die...they would have made fire anyway. They did make fire anyway. Besides, we certainly don't know diddly about them today.

I'm having trouble understanding what your saying. Why shouldn't people be motivated by fame? It isn't the only motivation out there which I'm sure you understand.

Not saying they shouldn't be. To each his own is always my motto. Any motivation to achieve something good is good by me.

Some people have been presenting it as the only motivation to achieve - which I don't agree with.

What I am more interested in with this thread is the apparent human desire for "something" after death, be it heaven or fame or grieving people left behind...a certain way of disposing of the body, memorials, and so forth.

It seems that most people I talk to, be they believers or not, have something they want after death...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2014, 02:10 PM
While the crater I leave when I go won't count as an afterlife, the crater's half-life will.
24-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Gilgamesh is still with us, isn't that something for him?

It doesn't make a difference to me. I've heard for every person we count as humans that existed to be remembered, all people alive today would have to remember 14 different people. So most people will be lost to the folds of time really quickly, but I don't think having it or not makes much of an impact. It's just one way for relevance

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-10-2014, 11:09 PM

If I can create something, anything, do something, anything, that would change the life of a single person, that change in that single persons life will had been reflected onto others. That reflection of change onto others will spread and hopefully, If my impact is great enough. My small change on the single life of a single person will have made an impact on the entire world.

Like a domino falling into a line of other domino pieces, I want to change the world and be known as the trigger who set forth the motions that changed everything.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
26-10-2014, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2014 12:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
From Chas' favorite stem cell scientist. And there's BuckyBalls! Tongue

Is Death An Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-10-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't really care if people remember me or not when I am dead because I will be dead. But I care when I am still alive because I want there to be some meaning to my life. For me that means making some kind of a contribution. I'm not going to have children but if I can make a scientific contribution then it will live on in all the contributions based on that.
26-10-2014, 02:33 PM
(26-10-2014 12:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  From Chas' favorite stem cell scientist. And there's BuckyBalls! Tongue

Is Death An Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End.

Ol' wack-a-doodle Lanza. He's an MD - he's not a scientist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user