The atheist forum and cybermobbing
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 05:49 AM
The atheist forum and cybermobbing
You do not need to fear I spam the forum. This will be my very last post in the forum for a good reason.

As the moderator has closed my threat (the anti-atheist multiverse parody) giving an opponent of me the last say - which is the worst form of censorship I have ever experienced - I want to inform everyone here that a full blown cyber- mob formed. Worse: no one was bothered. What kind of forum community is this?

The mob was primarily led by a group of people that throw direct insults and dirty language at me. For example I was called half a dozen times cunt which did not rise a problem with the moderator or anyone else. I myself used foul language only once - to mock the use of foul language, which was clear from the next sentence.

I made an error, I admit: I made a value judgment ("I feel that the discussion is dishonest.") but apart of that I staid clear of judgment. I was tempted because people where already making heavy mockery of me.

None of this does justify to call me a cunt or an asshole or arrogant or whatever bad word you can invent.

Now how does one become part of a cyber mob?

Throwing heavy insults is not the only way you can get into it. Three other ways would be:

1. Finding faults ONLY in the attacked and not in the members of the mob too. The amount of faults you find depend a bit on how long and how hard you look so this extra scrutinity on the victim will lead to results on the end.
2. Downplaying the acts of the others.
3. Non-helping bystanders: not saying anything when the shower of foul languages rains on the victim.

All of this three behavior will give the impression that you are an unified group that agrees in the basic aspect that I am faire game. Even if you did not intend to.

It is very likely that I overlooked someone in the chaos but I at least found no one that according to this rules made an effort to distinguish himself from the mob.

No how should a good post in a forum look like? As a general rule you write for the weakest possible discussion member that could be out there. If you do not you make your discussion inaccessible for such a member, which is the same as saying you give nothing on his opinion.

I was astonished that several people - some in a friendly manner some not - told me that I should not "play the victim". Or in other words there seems to be a rule that every participant should be able to take a certain amount of "cunts" and "assholes" without fretting.

What if someone can not bear such an amount because he is simply more sensitive? Let us explore a bit what the weakest possibly member could look like.

There was much mockery on my spelling. My spelling is so bad due to the fact that I have a poor concentration due to the fact that I am mentally disabled. The problem gets worse the more you agitate me which you can easily do by the the use of foul language and insults. So there is an simple strategy to win a dispute against me: agitate me to the point where I can not write a coherent answer anymore and you made it.

In light of such a big disadvantage and the fact that I had to defend against everyone in the discussion (there where some who made less harsh comments but no one to stand up for me) I did a good job of staying calm.

Now this - that no one stood up for me - provoked the mob to state that if everyone is against me I am obviously a bad person. You guess it, bad person was not the exact phrasing but whatever. This is basic mob logic and a variation of the argument of authority. The lives of people like Galileo or Boltzmann proof that the majority is not always right.

The end of it all was that I had to take some extra-med with I usually do not take because the dangerous and disagreeable side effects. So psychical violence has already turned into bodily harm. I hope this should be some food for thought for those that claim I have "played" the victim.

I can and will not identify as mentally ill under normal conditions as this has almost always been used against me.

Talking of victims:

If someone with suicidal ideations stumbles into a fight like this he could be dead by now.

Some of you may throw a tantrum now. But as I know people who have suicided and work in mental health advocacy I know what I am talking about and I will not modify a single word of the above statement.

During the discussion the mob suddenly seemed proud that this forum allows foul language and insults are allowed. I guess they mistakes this for free thinking.

I need to scratch my memory very hard now but there was a french philosopher who said something in the line of:
"If there are strong and weak people RULES mean freedom for the weak".

In the line of this argument thought I ask the moderators to overthink the rules of this forum to make it accessible for neurodivergent people with opinions that do NOT follow you mainstream views too. Unless you of course are not interested in such opinions.

You may now ask why I choose such a provokative heading when I am so sensitive. I simply was naiv. I did expect that the fighting would be about the subject of my text and not me. I also did not expect that there is a serious forum that allows foul language.

You can now go on on in your shared witchhunt of finding the errors only in me and never in you. But you already have successfully cleaned your community of the uncomfortable oddity. Because as I explained under the current rules and with my health condition I can not participate any longer.

(If there happen to be less writing errors than normal: that is the med)
Find all posts by this user
18-07-2017, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 05:58 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: The atheist forum and cybermobbing
No threats were closed, though your thread was split which I got to admit is good call. So no censorship there. But don't let facts distract you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
18-07-2017, 05:56 AM
They didn't close it, it was moved AND split into a different area:

Here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...it-posting

And here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ase-review

Also this, From the Rules:

Quote:This forum is based on the principle of allowing people to freely exchange ideas. We allow swearing, sexual language and ad hominems. You have a near-total right to say whatever you want to say and use any type of language to convey that message; however, you are solely responsible for the consequences of your actions. Threads and posts become the property of the community once they are posted and will not be deleted other than in exceptional circumstances. Please note, that this forum isn't just for atheists; it's for everyone, no matter what race, religion, gender or sexual preference.

We have an open door policy and this level of freedom is not to everyone's taste. We have very few policies and these are documented below.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post
18-07-2017, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 06:26 AM by DLJ.)
LOL.... "The worst ad hominem attack I have ever received" Facepalm

A handful of people is not a mob.
[+] 2 users Like ohio_drg's post
18-07-2017, 06:25 AM
(18-07-2017 05:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  They didn't close it,

Actually, yes, I did.

(18-07-2017 05:49 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  ...
As the moderator has closed my threa[d] (the anti-atheist multiverse parody) giving an opponent of me the last say - which is the worst form of censorship I have ever experienced - I want to inform everyone here that a full blown cyber- mob formed. Worse: no one was bothered.

As mentioned by Szuchow, the thread was split (because I was "bothered") and closed while I was doing it. It took a while because I had to read through every post.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with your analysis.

Please note Oaktree's comment regarding the pertinent forum rule.

Carry on.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-07-2017, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry your experience has been bad here. I disagree with much of what you say, but since you're not sticking around, I won't go into details. I will say that expecting people to take into account things you don't tell them until afterwards is unfair; not that I am saying I condone everything that was said to you.

This is probably too much of an unrestricted environment for you at the moment, I hope you can find one you're happier in.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
18-07-2017, 07:20 AM
(18-07-2017 06:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 05:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  They didn't close it,

Actually, yes, I did.

[Image: kryten-head-bomb-o.gif]

WELL, Spin my nipplenuts and send me alaska! I stand corrected! Laugh out load

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post
18-07-2017, 08:01 AM
(18-07-2017 05:49 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  The mob was primarily led by a group of people that throw direct insults and dirty language at me.

I am a relatively new member who also found all the insults disturbing. So I placed a number of people who insult others repeatedly on ignore, and avoid discussions which provoke their territorial instincts. I concentrate on the many courteous, intelligent, and interesting posters also present.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-07-2017, 08:03 AM
I didn't read the thread in question, personally, so I'm not sure who said what or when or the context. I am sorry that you were destabilized by the comments and responses. I've often felt that some of the people here do attack too personally, and with no regard or respect for the individuals they are attacking. I've gotten into several arguments with people over the years that I've been here. But, ultimately, this forum's rules allow for that sort of behavior. The only response available is to call people out on it and move on. They probably won't listen, and they do not have to. And I've also learned that in those disputes it's easy for both parties involved to have some blame (though not necessarily an equal amount of blame- again, I didn't read your thread).

I agree with Robvalue that perhaps this environment is not the best fit for you. That's not a condemnation of you or your views by any means. It's just that some forum environments will not be a good fit for everyone. However, I really do wish that people would tone down the personal attacks here. It's not likely to happen, unfortunately. I do know that there are several people here that want that, too.

With that said, we have quite a lot of people come in here with wacky ideas without evidence (again, not directed at you, because I didn't read your thread) and accusations that we're going to hell or that there are paramecia with consciousness or what have you. Many of these people refuse to listen to reason and are not here to engage in good faith arguments. We tend to get at least one of these a week around here. Which leaves an argument to quickly devolve into ad hominem attacks.

There is also a strong protection of free speech on this forum and ad hominems are part of that protected free speech.

Anyhow, for future forums, I high recommend that you lurk for a while before you start posting. Register, say "Hi", then simply read threads, read forum rules, and engage in only light conversation before going full-bore into potentially controversial topics.

Best wishes- especially for your mental health. I know how it can be to be in a state that the type of conversation that occurs here can set you off. There's a reason that I didn't come back for a while. But I still love so many of the people here and this place has been of great help to me over the years. I've learned a lot, and I've grown as a person- for the better, in my opinion.
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
18-07-2017, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 08:11 AM by jennybee.)
I'm sorry you feel that you've been atheist cybermobbed. We typically do an atheist flash mob here.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
Thread Closed