The atheist forum and cybermobbing
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 08:09 AM
RE: The atheist forum and cybermobbing
(18-07-2017 05:49 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  You do not need to fear I spam the forum. This will be my very last post in the forum for a good reason.

As the moderator has closed my threat (the anti-atheist multiverse parody) giving an opponent of me the last say - which is the worst form of censorship I have ever experienced - I want to inform everyone here that a full blown cyber- mob formed. Worse: no one was bothered. What kind of forum community is this?

The mob was primarily led by a group of people that throw direct insults and dirty language at me. For example I was called half a dozen times cunt which did not rise a problem with the moderator or anyone else. I myself used foul language only once - to mock the use of foul language, which was clear from the next sentence.

I made an error, I admit: I made a value judgment ("I feel that the discussion is dishonest.") but apart of that I staid clear of judgment. I was tempted because people where already making heavy mockery of me.

None of this does justify to call me a cunt or an asshole or arrogant or whatever bad word you can invent.

Now how does one become part of a cyber mob?

Throwing heavy insults is not the only way you can get into it. Three other ways would be:

1. Finding faults ONLY in the attacked and not in the members of the mob too. The amount of faults you find depend a bit on how long and how hard you look so this extra scrutinity on the victim will lead to results on the end.
2. Downplaying the acts of the others.
3. Non-helping bystanders: not saying anything when the shower of foul languages rains on the victim.

All of this three behavior will give the impression that you are an unified group that agrees in the basic aspect that I am faire game. Even if you did not intend to.

It is very likely that I overlooked someone in the chaos but I at least found no one that according to this rules made an effort to distinguish himself from the mob.

No how should a good post in a forum look like? As a general rule you write for the weakest possible discussion member that could be out there. If you do not you make your discussion inaccessible for such a member, which is the same as saying you give nothing on his opinion.

I was astonished that several people - some in a friendly manner some not - told me that I should not "play the victim". Or in other words there seems to be a rule that every participant should be able to take a certain amount of "cunts" and "assholes" without fretting.

What if someone can not bear such an amount because he is simply more sensitive? Let us explore a bit what the weakest possibly member could look like.

There was much mockery on my spelling. My spelling is so bad due to the fact that I have a poor concentration due to the fact that I am mentally disabled. The problem gets worse the more you agitate me which you can easily do by the the use of foul language and insults. So there is an simple strategy to win a dispute against me: agitate me to the point where I can not write a coherent answer anymore and you made it.

In light of such a big disadvantage and the fact that I had to defend against everyone in the discussion (there where some who made less harsh comments but no one to stand up for me) I did a good job of staying calm.

Now this - that no one stood up for me - provoked the mob to state that if everyone is against me I am obviously a bad person. You guess it, bad person was not the exact phrasing but whatever. This is basic mob logic and a variation of the argument of authority. The lives of people like Galileo or Boltzmann proof that the majority is not always right.

The end of it all was that I had to take some extra-med with I usually do not take because the dangerous and disagreeable side effects. So psychical violence has already turned into bodily harm. I hope this should be some food for thought for those that claim I have "played" the victim.

I can and will not identify as mentally ill under normal conditions as this has almost always been used against me.

Talking of victims:

If someone with suicidal ideations stumbles into a fight like this he could be dead by now.

Some of you may throw a tantrum now. But as I know people who have suicided and work in mental health advocacy I know what I am talking about and I will not modify a single word of the above statement.

During the discussion the mob suddenly seemed proud that this forum allows foul language and insults are allowed. I guess they mistakes this for free thinking.

I need to scratch my memory very hard now but there was a french philosopher who said something in the line of:
"If there are strong and weak people RULES mean freedom for the weak".

In the line of this argument thought I ask the moderators to overthink the rules of this forum to make it accessible for neurodivergent people with opinions that do NOT follow you mainstream views too. Unless you of course are not interested in such opinions.

You may now ask why I choose such a provokative heading when I am so sensitive. I simply was naiv. I did expect that the fighting would be about the subject of my text and not me. I also did not expect that there is a serious forum that allows foul language.

You can now go on on in your shared witchhunt of finding the errors only in me and never in you. But you already have successfully cleaned your community of the uncomfortable oddity. Because as I explained under the current rules and with my health condition I can not participate any longer.

(If there happen to be less writing errors than normal: that is the med)

On a serious note, I am sorry that you felt attacked. Like Emma, I have not really read any of the threads in question. I don't believe insults of any kind are necessary either. So I am sorry if anyone made you feel bad on here.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-07-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm not a big friend of ad hominems either. I don't see the point of slinging them around, they lose all impact and meaning.

A well timed, fine tuned insult, now that has impact and meaning.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Okay, so I've read a bunch of the thread (not the whole thing) and my honest opinion is that it wasn't really all that bad in terms of how bad it could have been.

I think you need to understand that when you're coming to these forums, we have so many trolls come in here with sock accounts and try every line of attack to try to get people riled up... or something, idk what their goal is. And most people here are just so sick of the bullshit. A promising thread title can turn into such a baseless assertion and confusing muddy post just a sentence or two in.

I understand most of the reactions you got. It was a bit overboard for my taste. But I get it. The types of post as your OP are frustrating to actually discuss because they often are muddy, poorly-communicated, messes of a thought process. When a discussion starts off like that, it doesn't have much promise for a good-faith discussion. Which I see that most people participating did attempt at first.

Idk... this thread, and the reactions are a bit overblown for most people. Please please please take greater care in selecting an environment to share your ideas in if your mental health is in a rather fragile or sensitive place. We as a whole do not know where you are mentally unless you tell us. You shouldn't have to tell us, but we shouldn't have to cater either. This is just not he forum for you. And I say that as someone who is often sensitive to offensive posts.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
18-07-2017, 09:08 AM
On a less serious note, I thought the thread title said "The atheist forum and cybermodding", and I was stoked to read whatever that might have involved. I'm disappointed that wasn't a thread. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
18-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Cybermodding? I am so not hip and tech...or whatever someone like that is called now.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
18-07-2017, 09:27 AM
(18-07-2017 05:49 AM)LaraLara Wrote:  The mob was primarily led by a group of people that throw direct insults and dirty language at me. For example I was called half a dozen times cunt which did not rise a problem with the moderator or anyone else.

We have reappropriated the word "cunt" as a term of endearment. Some cunt must've forgot to put that in the forum introduction section.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 10:00 AM
(18-07-2017 09:08 AM)Emma Wrote:  On a less serious note, I thought the thread title said "The atheist forum and cybermodding", and I was stoked to read whatever that might have involved. I'm disappointed that wasn't a thread. Weeping
To be a "mod" over here means you ride a moped covered in little lights, and rock a bowl cut/Parker jacket combo Laugh out load

I'd love to see what cyber modding is Cool

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
18-07-2017, 10:42 AM
I actually think these forums can get pretty aggressive and people do start throwing around personal insults too quickly. The attacks on you have been over the top. I think you attracted ire because you tried to tell others on here what atheism is. People resent when others define their beliefs or even their lack of belief for them. Still, that should be addressed in a civil manner.

This is what I posted to address, however

Quote:If someone with suicidal ideations stumbles into a fight like this he could be dead by now

Even though you're talking about a hypothetical person and presumably not yourself the fact that you see it that way is alarming. The internet is brutal. I try to be nice but sometimes get in trouble because I often falsely assume the person on the other end doesn't really care. Based on what I quoted I really think you should avoid forums and social media altogether. Anyway, take care and don't take anything online too seriously.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
18-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Mm my post disappeared wierd. Consider
18-07-2017, 10:58 AM
I question your intent with creating this thread.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
Thread Closed