The atheists are coming!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 05:32 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
The atheists are coming!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-fa...89912.html

Good story, and I LOVE the picture of the button that says "good without god" I gotta get me one of those Big Grin

"The Openly Secular movement hopes to rectify all this discrimination and marginalization by encouraging atheists, humanists and secular people in general to come out of the closet and make their worldview known to those around them. Being openly instead of secretly secular, it is hoped, will de-stigmatize unbelief and demonstrate that secular people are decent, ethical people.

The secular movement seems to be growing. At the very least, its efforts to get some positive ink from the media are expanding. At last fall's meeting of the Religion Newswriters Association in Atlanta, for example, a half-dozen a-religious organizations along with their press kits and giveaways occupied a large section of the exhibit space. Among them were the American Humanist Association, the Secular Student Alliance, the Center for Inquiry, the Secular Coalition for America, the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, the Richard Dawkins Foundation and, of course, the granddaddy of them all, American Atheists.

One of the fattest press kits handed out came from the Openly Secular campaign. "Non-religious people are treated like second-class citizens," the handout states. They are "often shunned by family and friends. Kids are bullied and even assaulted on the playground; activists receive death threats."

The thinking at Openly Secular is that much of this antipathy could be diffused if more nonreligious folks would take a page from the LGBT movement and come out of the closet -- go public with their thoughts and beliefs. Let their neighbors know that they are just folks -- friendly, concerned citizens.

As for Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins and other religion-dissing atheists who like to slice and dice their opponents, Robyn Blumner of the Richard Dawkins Foundation asserts that Dawkins, for one, is incredibly popular with young non-believers. Students wait in lines for an hour and a half to see Dawkins, she said. "They are as flush with excitement as they would be if he were Lady Gaga."

ahhhhhh there is hope in the world afterall. Thumbsup

and as an added bonus, this top ten list from yahoo trending was a good read as well...

http://listverse.com/2015/08/11/10-bible...lly-bogus/

An excerpt:

"Christians who oppose the death penalty frequently quote John 8:7, in which Jesus makes a famous challenge to the accusers of a woman caught in adultery: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” It’s a powerful moment, but did Jesus really say it?Most scholars are now agreed that the story of the adulteress was not originally in John. The newest versions often contain marginal notes making readers aware of its spurious nature. Typical is the note in the New International Version informing readers that “the earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.” No surviving Greek manuscript before the fifth century contains the story. Its first attestation is in the Codex Bezae, which has a habit of adding things. Early texts also tend to move it around. In some, it is found at the very end of the Gospel of John, or in the margin near 7:52. Some even locate it after Luke 21:38. Byzantine scribes indicated on the margin beside the text that they were doubtful of its genuineness. Church Fathers such as Origen and Chrysostom never referred to it in their verse-by-verse commentaries on John’s Gospel."

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
11-08-2015, 05:50 PM
RE: The atheists are coming!
Excellent! Thanks for posting. I hope America can one day be more like Australia. Nobody has ever asked me which church I attend. I would laugh in their face. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-08-2015, 05:51 PM
(11-08-2015 05:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-fa...89912.html

Good story, and I LOVE the picture of the button that says "good without god" I gotta get me one of those Big Grin

"The Openly Secular movement hopes to rectify all this discrimination and marginalization by encouraging atheists, humanists and secular people in general to come out of the closet and make their worldview known to those around them. Being openly instead of secretly secular, it is hoped, will de-stigmatize unbelief and demonstrate that secular people are decent, ethical people.

The secular movement seems to be growing. At the very least, its efforts to get some positive ink from the media are expanding. At last fall's meeting of the Religion Newswriters Association in Atlanta, for example, a half-dozen a-religious organizations along with their press kits and giveaways occupied a large section of the exhibit space. Among them were the American Humanist Association, the Secular Student Alliance, the Center for Inquiry, the Secular Coalition for America, the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, the Richard Dawkins Foundation and, of course, the granddaddy of them all, American Atheists.

One of the fattest press kits handed out came from the Openly Secular campaign. "Non-religious people are treated like second-class citizens," the handout states. They are "often shunned by family and friends. Kids are bullied and even assaulted on the playground; activists receive death threats."

The thinking at Openly Secular is that much of this antipathy could be diffused if more nonreligious folks would take a page from the LGBT movement and come out of the closet -- go public with their thoughts and beliefs. Let their neighbors know that they are just folks -- friendly, concerned citizens.

As for Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins and other religion-dissing atheists who like to slice and dice their opponents, Robyn Blumner of the Richard Dawkins Foundation asserts that Dawkins, for one, is incredibly popular with young non-believers. Students wait in lines for an hour and a half to see Dawkins, she said. "They are as flush with excitement as they would be if he were Lady Gaga."

ahhhhhh there is hope in the world afterall. Thumbsup

and as an added bonus, this top ten list from yahoo trending was a good read as well...

http://listverse.com/2015/08/11/10-bible...lly-bogus/

An excerpt:

"Christians who oppose the death penalty frequently quote John 8:7, in which Jesus makes a famous challenge to the accusers of a woman caught in adultery: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” It’s a powerful moment, but did Jesus really say it?Most scholars are now agreed that the story of the adulteress was not originally in John. The newest versions often contain marginal notes making readers aware of its spurious nature. Typical is the note in the New International Version informing readers that “the earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.” No surviving Greek manuscript before the fifth century contains the story. Its first attestation is in the Codex Bezae, which has a habit of adding things. Early texts also tend to move it around. In some, it is found at the very end of the Gospel of John, or in the margin near 7:52. Some even locate it after Luke 21:38. Byzantine scribes indicated on the margin beside the text that they were doubtful of its genuineness. Church Fathers such as Origen and Chrysostom never referred to it in their verse-by-verse commentaries on John’s Gospel."

Quote:Anyone else notice how atheists are all about keeping your religion to yourself, then are super eager to tell all about their non-religion.

What they say: "Stop talking about religion!" What they mean: "So we can talk more about atheism!"

Hypocrites and windbags of the highest order, I find.

One of the comments on the article lol Oh no we are Hypocrites! What ever shall we do.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
11-08-2015, 07:17 PM
(11-08-2015 05:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The thinking at Openly Secular is that much of this antipathy could be diffused if more nonreligious folks would take a page from the LGBT movement and come out of the closet -- go public with their thoughts and beliefs. Let their neighbors know that they are just folks -- friendly, concerned citizens.

That's what I keep saying. Having lived in San Francisco in the 70s, when gays were getting started and making a lot of noise, I see lots of parallels. We are on our way now, and more and more people are coming out. But most importantly, many of today's youths are coming out. It will be some time before being secular becomes as accepted as being gay is today, but we have begun the journey.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Coming???

Why I'm not even breathing hard yet....................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-08-2015, 08:45 PM
I guess we are becoming less and less "those people" and closer to being just people. Great.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-08-2015, 09:21 PM
(11-08-2015 08:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I guess we are becoming less and less "those people" and closer to being just people. Great.

Anyone got a timeline for when we'll be real people? Tongue Those fucken Satanic orgies really wear me out ya know.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2015, 09:25 PM
(11-08-2015 09:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 08:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I guess we are becoming less and less "those people" and closer to being just people. Great.

Anyone got a timeline for when we'll be real people? Tongue Those fucken Satanic orgies really wear me out ya know.

So if I'm not real yet, can I go rob a bank and not get in trouble? Consider They can't arrest someone who is not a real person Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-08-2015, 10:04 PM
"Came out" tonight to my gamer group, during a break, when we started discussing the topic of visiting grave sites. One of the members mentioned talking to his grandmother (at her gravesite) "until I see her again someday", and asked me in front of the others if I had visited the grave of my recently-deceased grandmother while I was in Louisiana. I said that I had not, and when I got the "puppy-dog-sad-eyes" in response, explained that I'm an atheist, so I didn't see what the point would be, since I said all the things I wanted to say to her in life, as we should, because there's no seeing our loved ones again once they're gone. (I said it a lot more nicely--and eloquently--than that, but I'm tired right now.)

Several of the people there expressed shock (since this is Smalltownville, Missouri, and they're alllll Christian here), though they said they agreed with my sentiment about being good to our loved ones "just in case there's no afterlife, after all"... but one guy, a youngster, visibly worked up his courage and admitted he, too was an atheist, and was so glad to "finally meet another one". He was clearly relieved, and said he felt it was a good thing that my non-belief led me to be good to people in the here and now.

I didn't know whether I should be happy or sad for what happened.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2015, 10:45 PM
(11-08-2015 05:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-fa...89912.html

I worked with Robyn at the same newspaper for about 10 years. I was her husband's editor for that time, too. She does great work.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post