The average Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2011, 08:40 PM
RE: The average Theist
(12-01-2011 09:34 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I think it all depends on where you live. My attitude towards Christians has changed a lot since moving to the south. I grew up in the northeast, and now live in the Bible Belt. It's a whole different world.

Up there, everybody got along, basically. People were open minded and no one bothered anybody else. You could (openly) believe whatever you wanted, and no one would hold anything against you either way. No one really talked about religion too much. If they did the discussions were rational.

Here, they are angry, hateful, and extremely intolerant of anyone who doesn't believe exactly what they do. Even different denominations say horrible things about each other. I have not "come out" here, literally for fear of losing my job. I don't go along with them, I just keep to myself about my beliefs. They talk to each other about God and Jesus in all of their normal conversations, assuming that everyone feels like they do. They are truly hateful people, for as much as they preach about God's love.

Not sure if that really answers the question, but wanted to point out that not all Christians are cut of the same cloth.

I'm in the same boat, only rural south-west. I have to say, it's a little bit displeasing to over hear conversations about how much proof there is for creationism, and how liberals are all communists. I usually don't admit my atheism. I don't feel like it's safe, not where I am.

So to answer to question, I've never meet an apathetic theist. I've meet people who just parrot Glen beck and Kent Hovind. They are my average theist, but they will all parrot their idols till their face turns blue at the mention of liberalism/communism/evolutionism/atheism(it's all the same thing here).

Actual quote:
"Our constitution[in reality it was the Declaration of Independence, but whatever] mentions a 'creator', meaning god. So that means out government believes in god. So why can't we teach god in schools? We teach atheism[evolution] in schools!"

Really, I think I'd take the apathetic theists over my sort of theists.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2011, 01:08 AM
They can't tell the difference between liberalism, communism, evolutionism and atheism? What did they do in school? Have burping and spitting contests? Are these the same idiots who think that the only difference between men and women is hair length? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
23-01-2011, 05:56 AM
(23-01-2011 01:08 AM)No J. Wrote:  They can't tell the difference between liberalism, communism, evolutionism and atheism? What did they do in school?

That's where we learned there is no difference between liberalism, communism, atheism, and evolutionism of course! The teachers refuse to say the difference, and the parents teach that there is none.

Really, one time I learned that Canada was a communist nation from one of the teachers. He still works there.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
23-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:They can't tell the difference between liberalism, communism, evolutionism and atheism?

Nephilimfree threw in "autism" in one of his video comments at one point, saying all the "ism"s are religious in nature. Facepalms were to be had. Tongue Of course, this was Nephilimfree who is anything but "average".

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2011, 07:27 AM
(23-01-2011 06:02 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  Nephilimfree threw in "autism" in one of his video comments at one point, saying all the "ism"s are religious in nature. Facepalms were to be had. Tongue Of course, this was Nephilimfree who is anything but "average".

There is a depressing number of people who believe autism is the result of demon possession, which I suppose would equate autism to satanism. Typically leads to an exorcism preformed on a toddler. You know, three day water fasting, whacking the kid up the head in the name of Jebus, and hopefully ending in someone calling CPS.

23-01-2011, 06:35 PM
(23-01-2011 01:08 AM)No J. Wrote:  They can't tell the difference between liberalism, communism, evolutionism and atheism? What did they do in school? Have burping and spitting contests? Are these the same idiots who think that the only difference between men and women is hair length? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the same people who say ""here down south, people are mostly white and christian, whereas up north, they might be for instance German, Italian, or even Catholic."

My husband goes to college here. This is what one of his teachers told the students in a Texas history class. Pretty much verbatim. Frightening to say the least.

So yeah, they have no clue.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
23-01-2011, 08:10 PM
(23-01-2011 06:35 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  My husband goes to college here.
Why?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-01-2011, 02:48 AM

I have fundie muslim and xtian friends as well as quite a few cultural xtian friends. I don't normally initiate religious discussion with them unless they disagree with me on an issue where their religion has obviously come into play. Then I pull them up sharp and start serious discussion. The fundie friends do initiate quite often and they get a big serve back, usually with onlookers who I consider to be the real audience. Its the same online.

Most of the 'weak' theists don't want to discuss religion OR ethics, they are afraid of appearing "wrong" and so hide from the discussion. Pity.
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 01:25 PM

I just reduced another "average" liberal New England atheist to speechlessness today. He said he didn't "feel like" rebutting me, and that I wasn't going to make him an atheist.

By the way, how are German, Italian, and Catholics NOT white and Christian lol?
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 10:55 PM
(24-01-2011 01:25 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  By the way, how are German, Italian, and Catholics NOT white and Christian lol?

That's what I asked the instructor. "Wait wait wait, what? Did you just now imply that Germans aren't white and Catholics aren't christians?" She had no intelligible answer.

(23-01-2011 08:10 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(23-01-2011 06:35 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  My husband goes to college here.
Why?

It seemed like a good idea at the time.