The bad pickup line thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 11:36 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: The bad pickup line thread
(15-07-2015 10:52 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 10:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Any guy who actually uses lines is a loser, because he invariably treats women as actors in a script. True story.

I disagree. Scripted openers can be very useful because they generate predictable conversation and can help carry the interaction through those awkward first few minutes until you can both relax a little and start actually getting to know each other. Done right it creates a fun experience for both of you. Done wrong (e.g. every line in this thread) you get a drink thrown in your face, a restraining order or worse...

The truth is that we all use scripts all the time. They're social lubricant. Nobody comes up with original conversation all day everyday.

And I, in turn, disagree. Using canned thoughts to interact with live people demeans them. Your mileage clearly varies; I hope you get far with it.

As for "we all use scripts all the time", no, not all of us do. I certainly don't. If you do, and it works for you, great ... but you should consider speaking only for yourself, rather than "we all".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 11:37 PM
(15-07-2015 11:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 10:52 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I disagree. Scripted openers can be very useful because they generate predictable conversation and can help carry the interaction through those awkward first few minutes until you can both relax a little and start actually getting to know each other. Done right it creates a fun experience for both of you. Done wrong (e.g. every line in this thread) you get a drink thrown in your face, a restraining order or worse...

The truth is that we all use scripts all the time. They're social lubricant. Nobody comes up with original conversation all day everyday.

And I, in turn, disagree. Using canned thoughts to interact with live people demeans them.

Your mileage clearly varies; I hope you get far with it.

What, no smalltalk?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-07-2015, 11:44 PM
It just depends on the delivery. Some people have enough charisma to get away with about anything - if you can say it in a way for me to giggle, apparently it was successful. I'm reading your body language along with what you say.

I think I shared this one on my pick up line thread - but...RocketSurgeon wasn't here yet. So. As a girl from the Rocket City, I submit this:

Is that a rocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Tongue Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
15-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Roses are red
Violets are blue
You're going to be my valentine
Because I'm stronger than you
15-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Oooo I had a funny one used one last night!!!

I was at the nurses' station talking about my patient almost pulling out his dobhoff (a nasogastric tube used for post pyloric tube feedings) - when one of the really flirty nurses came up and put his arm around me and said:

"Girl, you can pull on my dobhoff anytime." Oh my god it was hysterical.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
16-07-2015, 12:29 AM
(15-07-2015 11:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 11:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And I, in turn, disagree. Using canned thoughts to interact with live people demeans them.

Your mileage clearly varies; I hope you get far with it.

What, no smalltalk?

Wait, who said no small talk? Small talk and canned thoughts are two entirely different things, at least one hopes.
16-07-2015, 01:15 AM
(16-07-2015 12:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 11:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  What, no smalltalk?

Wait, who said no small talk? Small talk and canned thoughts are two entirely different things, at least one hopes.

"Hey, how you doin'?"
"Fine. You?"
"Can't complain."
"Did you do anything fun this weekend?"
etc.

There is no thinking going on in a typical small-talk style conversation like this, yet it still serves an important function as a social bonding ritual - especially on Monday mornings before that first cup of coffee. Drinking Beverage

That's exactly what I meant when I said we all use scripts. I guess I'm not clear on your definition of "canned thoughts."

From a dating perspective, I consider "Hi, how are you?" to be just as much of a canned opener or line as "Do you come here often?", "Can I buy you a drink?", "Are those space pants you're wearing?", etc. and don't see anything inherently demeaning in using a canned opener. The content can certainly be demeaning which is where a lot of bad pickup lines go wrong.

And like Nurse pointed out, the words only play a small role. If you standardize them, then it allows you to judge the effectiveness of other variables like voice tone, body language, and fashion.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
16-07-2015, 08:47 AM
"Hi, how are you?" is a line? "Can I buy you a drink?" is a good opener, and maybe a line -- but "Hi, how are you?"? That's a greeting two English-speakers use in so many contexts outside dating that calling it a line seems to make the definition of the latter uselessly broad.

Well, that wasn't what I had in mind when I was talking about lines. Small talk can be had without resorting to prepackaged thoughts, and indeed can be the way to show a prospective partner some qualities that they might find attractive -- the ability to make a joke on the fly, that sort of thing. Clearly my style is different than yours; nothing wrong with that. My opinion is that introducing yourself to women with the same stock opening is a one-size-fits-all answer to a pretty individual encounter. Prepackaged thoughts.

And of course words only play a small role in any communication, but we were talking specifically about the words, in this thread.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade anymore than I may have already done so, so I'll shut up.
16-07-2015, 11:30 PM
(16-07-2015 08:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade anymore than I may have already done so, so I'll shut up.

"I'd like to rain on *your* parade" Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Morondog - I tried that one on a real cutie, once. She was marching in a parade. She tried to hit me with her pretty rainbow flag. Epic fail! Guess I need to work on my body language. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post