The bad thing being an out of the closet atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2011, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 09:34 PM by The Doctor.)
The bad thing being an out of the closet atheist.
The chance of losing family. I guess it's life I guess. I recently became so much open of being a non-believer of god(s) especially the Christian god.

I made a comment about the events of Japan confirming my belief of no god.

The comments of my family:

My mother:
Quote:Adam you are begining to scare me here. I think you need to go back and start reading the bible and going to church again, where did what we taught you go. We never know what God's plans are, what happen in Japan does not mean there is no God, he must have his reasons for what happen. I am living proof there is a God or I would not be here, two years ago, he sent me in the right direction for all the Dr's who could save my life and I believe that with all my heart.

My Uncle:
Quote: Best to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I am tired of your ignorant diatribes. You are an embarrassment to the entire family. Man, I thought Charlie Sheen was bad, you make him look good. Good bye, Adam.

My Grandfather:
Quote: Adam have you completely lost all of your marbles. I think it would do you a lot of good to think a little before you write so much. Do think you athiest saved your mother for the couple of years? I know it did not do her or your grand mother a bit of good either one of them. I believe would you a lot of to stop and think before you let the world know what your thinking.

My Uncle and my Grandfather are stanch Catholics.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 10:07 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
RE: The bad thing being an out of the closet atheist.
I suppose the advantage of having Mormon family is that they assume that I must be possessed and therefore it's not my fault that I'm an atheist.

I feel for you.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM

I haven't been ostracized by my family. My dad left my mom and really doesn't care about religion. My sister is a henotheist, and is impartial to religion. My mother is the only Christian left... The worst I get is asked to pray before meals and I always politely decline.
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Somehow the whole not being male trumped any sort of anti-religious sentiments. I think I've always been outside of any desired paths possible. My family isn't under the delusion that the wonderfully broken dramatic life we live is a gift from god though. They just kind of believe, where I tend to suggest they drop the whole bible thing and just say they believe in this or that without the rules. Still gets them to the same place.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Doctor. Family is as close as it gets, and it's always a shame to hear about somebody's family turning on or away from anyone, especially for something like religion. All you did is not believe the same things they do. I hope you aren't taking it too hard.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
13-03-2011, 02:04 AM
I don't know what to say, Doctor. My dad, mom and brother know I am an atheist. My dad says nothing about it at all and treats me exactly the same as he did before he found out. My brother treats me the same even though we have had a couple of heated dicussions. Since then it seldom comes up. My mom has made a few comments about her not believing that science can know how old fossils are. I told her I know how they can. It hasn't affected our relationship. Her and I have always disagreements about lots of stuff, this is just more of the same.

I hope your relatives get over it and stop putting their unsupported beliefs before a real relationship.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
13-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear that doctor. It’s a shame to see that your relatives love their believe in god more then their family. It just shows what a poison religion can be. I looks like you are going to have to fight for your respect in the family. Can I ask you how old you are?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Your uncle bringing to the fore an Abraham Lincoln paraphrase of the King Solomon wisdom afforded in Proverbs, is one hell of a back handed method employed with the full intention of shutting you up. Perhaps he'd best follow his own sloganized advice next time, if he claims to love you later.

What supports your point of view in such matters is the lie proffered in the New Testament, that is excused, pardoned or outright ignored by believers and apologist Christians.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

(More "Jesus Lied" @ Evil Bible)

No doubt the people in Japan prayed to be saved or spared from the 9.0 earthquake that ended the world as they knew it. Those who drowned, were about to be crushed to death by falling debris hoping they could get away in time to avoid such a fate, prayed and bargained to be rescued by anything they believed was listening.
Nothing was. Nothing ever is. Nothing ever has. Putting faith in nothing, when putting faith in self is considered one of the 7 deadly sins and something to be saved from in and of itself, is the damnation that plagues most of the worlds population.

And if it's a matter of remaining silent, else speaking removes all doubt one is a fool, then preachers the world over should remain mute. And the Bible should have never been inked.

From cover to cover that historic fiction depicts a sadistic, serial killer voyeur who demands to be feared else one shall be deemed unwise and face the consequences for such ignorance. Oh how many lives are laid at the foundation of such lies, deception and premeditated intent to murder the intellect.

Fuck God, Holy Ghost and Jesus too!
*looks around* Yep, I'm still here.
And if they were there at all, that simply would not be. (Leviticus 24:23)
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2011, 02:20 PM
(13-03-2011 01:59 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Your uncle bringing to the fore an Abraham Lincoln paraphrase of the King Solomon wisdom afforded in Proverbs, is one hell of a back handed method employed with the full intention of shutting you up. Perhaps he'd best follow his own sloganized advice next time, if he claims to love you later.

What supports your point of view in such matters is the lie proffered in the New Testament, that is excused, pardoned or outright ignored by believers and apologist Christians.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

(More "Jesus Lied" @ Evil Bible)

No doubt the people in Japan prayed to be saved or spared from the 9.0 earthquake that ended the world as they knew it. Those who drowned, were about to be crushed to death by falling debris hoping they could get away in time to avoid such a fate, prayed and bargained to be rescued by anything they believed was listening.
Nothing was. Nothing ever is. Nothing ever has. Putting faith in nothing, when putting faith in self is considered one of the 7 deadly sins and something to be saved from in and of itself, is the damnation that plagues most of the worlds population.

And if it's a matter of remaining silent, else speaking removes all doubt one is a fool, then preachers the world over should remain mute. And the Bible should have never been inked.

From cover to cover that historic fiction depicts a sadistic, serial killer voyeur who demands to be feared else one shall be deemed unwise and face the consequences for such ignorance. Oh how many lives are laid at the foundation of such lies, deception and premeditated intent to murder the intellect.

Fuck God, Holy Ghost and Jesus too!
*looks around* Yep, I'm still here.
And if they were there at all, that simply would not be. (Leviticus 24:23)
Wow, I have never read such an angry post from you GK. Angry, and well put. Glad to see that John 15:7 quote, I was not originally acquainted with that one.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
13-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry Adam, that must be hard. It makes me both sad and angry to see people essentially disown a family member for the mere fact of them just being them. Some people are gay. Some people are atheist. Some people are Republicans. Wink Sorry.

We are who we are. It's not fair for people to treat you poorly for simply sticking to your beliefs and being true to yourself. It's not shameful, it's something to be proud of.

My father is dead, and I've never come out and told my mother I'm an atheist, but I don't talk to her much anyway so it really makes no difference. I suppose they would both have been a little disappointed but I don't think they would have thought differently about me.

That's all the family I have except my husband, and he feels the same way I do.

*hugs*

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink